Review of Black Viper

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Roy Nick
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Review of Black Viper

Post by Roy Nick »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Black Viper" by Christopher Speight.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Drugs, booze, and women are usual in Cleveland, but so are petty crimes. Nevertheless, trivial crimes have escalated to murder! Detective Frank is summoned on his off day by his partner, detective Amber, about the murder of Kevin Broadnax. His lover, Victoria Baker, is questioned by the two detectives about any disputes between themselves. On top of that, they want to know if she might know any possible haters Kevin might have.

Victoria can only think of one person— her younger brother, Saffold, who publicly made racist slurs against Kevin for being an African American. Nonetheless, Baker is not about to snitch on her sole brother. On the other hand, two lovers, Serena and Mark, are having their morning run when both are killed. Before long, another body is found dead. A serial killer seems to target interracial marriages and mixed couples in Cleveland. It is up to the two talented detectives, Frank and Amber, and others to bring the culprit to justice.

Black Viper by Christopher Speight is not your usual flat detective story. Instead, it is a spicy mixture of teenage love, family dynamics, alcohol addiction, murder, among others. This well-crafted story is nothing short of a masterpiece!

Most if not everything is to like in this narrative. For one, with the increased qualifications of detective skills Amber and Frank had, I learned a thing or two with the murder investigations. Believe it or not, I felt like a trained detective by the end of the story. In addition, I enjoyed the exchange of words between Frank's children, Frank Jr. and Rhonda. Just as normal teenagers do, the two siblings were always competing with each other.

While the tale was intriguing, I felt depressed for the victims' families who had to bear with news of losing their loved ones. More so, I felt sympathetic for Frank's wife, who had been involved in an accident that left her in a coma for more than a year. Every time Frank and the kids visited her in the hospital, I endured a sensational pain going through my spine. I could not imagine what the family was enduring.

I discovered numerous errors; as a result, Black Viper will need professional editing and proofreading. I commend Christopher for composing such a riveting story, whose words were informal and vulgar. Therefore, they lightened my mood. There's nothing I found to loathe. Nevertheless, for the errors discovered, I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. Enthusiasts of crime and suspense detective books will enjoy this installment to the core!

Black Viper
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Edit_or
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edit-or.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Edit_or »

Nice one! Would love to get a copy of this book. Great review too!
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I want to find out about what the killer is doing. I am sorry that Victoria has those feelings about Saffold. Thanks for the review.
5thDonn
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by 5thDonn »

Although I will admit, the plot grasps your attention, this book seemed as though it was made for the less safisticated and more for those who enjoy drama in my opinion. Again, it grasps your attention and there were good placements in the storyline. Somehow, this would be a read again for me.
Mohsin Ali 7
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mohsin Ali 7 »

Intrusting story about crime scene
Jennifer Garcia 555
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-garcia-555.html
Latest Review: Somebody’s Watching You by Robin D'Amato

Post by Jennifer Garcia 555 »

I love the cover of this book, but the story does not sound all that interesting. I will pass on this one.
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery
Luchris_michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-michael.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Luchris_michael »

Crime investigation is intriguing. Interracial matters are never sweet to the ears. Good review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an engaging detective story with well-constructed plot and characters, though it seems a bit depressing even for the standards of this genre. Regardless, thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

I love crime thrillers, I would definitely like to add this to my book shelves, nice review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”