Review of The Witness Protection Nurse

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 197
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Review of The Witness Protection Nurse

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Witness Protection Nurse" by Beverlee Renouf Gillette.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever witnessed the freezing winter air pinching the tip of your nose while watching magical northern lights dancing in the night sky? Nurse Debra Livingston from Nevada didn’t see such a moment coming, nor did she know to expect anything else that was waiting for her just around the corner. Sometimes, for reasons beyond our control, life takes unexpected turns that don’t seem to be fair at all. Such was the case with Debra, who unintentionally witnessed a horrible incident at her workplace. Her whole world went into an endless spin without exit signs because she saw something she was not supposed to see.

The events that followed were like from the worst nightmare. But no, Debra was not dreaming. Her colleagues were found dead, and her own life was at stake. As there seemed to be no other way out, Debra was given a new identity and placed on a witness protection program. After some life-threatening moments, she flew to Alaska. There she met Daniel Williams, a part-time agent who worked for the Department of Homeland Security. Her new life under the protecting eye of Mr. Williams had not even started when her cover was blown. Led by Sam Jacobson, the law enforcement was working overtime as they tried to keep her safe and catch the criminals, but the Castelleri mob seemed to have eyes everywhere. After another narrow escape, she and Daniel were on the run in the Alaskan wilderness. Before you knew it, the two had fallen in love. But the Castelleri underlings were breathing on their necks every step of the way. Did they have a future together? More importantly, did they have a future at all?

The Witness Protection Nurse by the author Beverlee Renouf Gillette was a thrilling getaway ride flavored with a little bit of romance and a lot of action. The author seemed to have a special place in her heart for Alaska. Because of her knowledge, she was able to give this book unique surroundings. All together, the ingredients were favorable for forming an excellent fictional story. Unfortunately, the implementation fell somewhat short. First of all, the character development was minuscule. The author was concentrating more on describing the multiple turns of the events. I could have even lived with that, but the storyline also had some problems. For example, the author failed to build bridges from one event to another. That resulted in the story being labyrinthine and extremely difficult to follow. Another distracting detail was that the narration kept shifting from the first-person narrative to the third-person narrative as if the author occasionally forgot which one she was supposed to use. Lastly, this book included some structural and grammatical issues that affected the readability.

I picked this book for reading partly because of its breathtakingly beautiful cover. I was also curious to see a glimpse of how the witness protection program works. Unfortunately, I got the impression that the author did not do her homework on this topic properly. That led to some plausibility issues. However, I enjoyed observing the Alaskan wilderness and indigenous life through the pages of this book. The author had included some pictures from her travels. Those helped to imagine the landscape and surroundings of the story. The author intended to write a story that does not include excessive profanities or sexual scenes. As I often find the use of extreme violence or profane language unpleasant in books that would otherwise be most entertaining, I appreciated the author’s effort.

Regrettably, I can’t rate this book more than 2 out of 4 stars. I want to commend the author’s vivid imagination and the attempt to write a crime thriller for readers who don’t enjoy reading scenes with brutal violence. Even so, I can not ignore the problems mentioned above. I believe that with some well-chosen guidance, the author has all the abilities to turn this book into an excellent reading adventure.

In its current form, I am finding it difficult to recommend this book. After some appropriate editorial work followed by another round of editing to tackle the mistakes, this book becomes a suitable read to adventure lovers who respect clean content but don’t want to compromise the thrilling action.

The Witness Protection Nurse
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kirsi
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Killing Machine
Bookshelf Size: 428
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a thriller with interesting potential, also thank to its setting, with some problems in its development. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

This book definitely has the potential, but the author should really improve on building a continous storyline. If this is done, this will be a fantastic crime thriller novel. Thanks for the great review!
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I like that Debra is conceived as a person ready to overcome difficulties and that, in that sense, she is a strong person. Thanks for the good review.
Luchris_michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-michael.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Luchris_michael »

The book is a good thriller. I love Debra's character. Thanks for the review.
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

I love books that are filled with thrillers, I hope Debra gets better at the end, thanks for the honest review.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

The cover is beautiful! I have always wanted to see the northern lights. This sounds like it has the potential to be a great thriller. Thank you for your honest take in this excellent review!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Joyful17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k17.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Talking (war) Dog by Daniel Tierney

Post by Joyful17 »

It's an interesting plot indeed. Adequate research about witness protection programs would have improved the quality of the book. Thanks for an honest review.
Neshboy Aburi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neshboy-aburi.html
Latest Review: Darksoul by L. Brooks

Post by Neshboy Aburi »

Seems like an interesting story that ought to have been told in a different way. I understand your review to mean that you enjoyed the story but not how it was told. I don't know if authors read these reviews, but it is clear this author would benefit immensely he read your honest review.
Latest Review: Darksoul by L. Brooks
Ayomid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomid.html
Latest Review: A Spiritual Dog: "Bear" by J. Wesley Porter

Post by Ayomid »

Quite a suspenseful plot. Witnessing a murder scene is a life changing event. Thanks for an in-depth review.
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

NetMassimo wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 01:33 This seems like a thriller with interesting potential, also thank to its setting, with some problems in its development. Thank you for your honest review!
Yes it was. Without the mentioned problems it would have been an amazing story. Thanks for reading & commenting!
Kirsi
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Medhansh Bhardwaj wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 11:14 This book definitely has the potential, but the author should really improve on building a continous storyline. If this is done, this will be a fantastic crime thriller novel. Thanks for the great review!
Thanks for your appreciation! 😃
Kirsi
Kulsum Emmamally
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: Android

Post by Kulsum Emmamally »

I haven't read it as yet but I'm intrigued as I'm lover of Suspense, murder, solving cases. I feel it to be captivating, but I cnt review it unless I have read it myself. For me a book has captivate, & charm it's reader from beginning to end. Author must have an , imaginative mind to create a book that gives us perfection in every aspect of the story. The book must bring the characters to live. I'm interested in reading this book. Hope it's evrything I love in a book.
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

markodim721 wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 14:02 I like that Debra is conceived as a person ready to overcome difficulties and that, in that sense, she is a strong person. Thanks for the good review.
Thanks for reading & commenting!
Kirsi
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Luchris_michael wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 08:25 The book is a good thriller. I love Debra's character. Thanks for the review.
Yes, Debra is indeed lovable. Thanks for your appreciation!
Kirsi

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”