Review of Graveslinger

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Katharina Code
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Review of Graveslinger

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Graveslinger" by Darren Lee Compton.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Graveslinger follows the story of Fiya Diaz. She works for The Order of the Immortuos Venandi, a secret organisation that is sworn to protect humanity from supernatural threats of all kinds. She is very good at her job, but her talent is put to a severe test when the danger of the worst kind shows its face. A demon named Violess unleashes the Ghoul Fever in Seattle, and while the authorities are busy handling that, she focuses on a much more sinister scheme that no one knows about. It is after Fiya’s path crosses with Thomas and his daughter, Liama, that she gets a hint of Violess’s nefarious plans. With the fate of the entire world at stake, Fiya and her companions embark on a quest that leads them down a very dangerous path.

Graveslinger is the perfect read for those who enjoy exciting and adventurous supernatural stories. It is fast-paced and immediately hooks the reader. While a lot of tropes have been used and reused in the supernatural genre, this novel carves a space for itself through well-developed characters and an engaging plotline.

One of the strongest points of the book is its writing style. The story unfolds in the third-person perspective, and the author uses this opportunity to explore the mindset of various characters. This gives a variety to the story and prevents it from being stunted by one situation or one character. The author is also very imaginative and precise about every scene, giving meaning to every conversation and adding weight to every life lost and saved.

The novel also benefits from a strong protagonist, who is supported by an excellent, even if a familiar, backstory. Every character, be it a hero or villain, is flawed and fallible which is what raises the stakes while giving the necessary emotional depth to the story. The author balances the fun and thrilling action sequences with raw and grounded scenes. This provides a consistent flow to the narrative and fosters the reader’s interest.

My rating for Graveslinger by Darren Lee Compton is 3 out of 4 stars. The only reason that this book doesn’t have a perfect rating is a couple of grammatical errors that I spotted in it. However, the errors were very minor and didn’t affect my reading experience. Apart from that, I found no other flaw in it.

All in all, this book is an excellent read. While the story is wrapped up by the end, the author dangles quite a few mysteries for a sequel. In other words, Graveslinger serves as Fiya’s origin story. The author does an excellent job of building up the overall mystery while also dropping hints about potential subplots. He leaves out just enough secrets for us to want to come back for more. I, for one, would definitely pick up the sequel of the book and would advise everyone to go for it.

Graveslinger
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Luchris_michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-michael.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Luchris_michael »

Mystery books are always intriguing. The author's perspective is a wonderful one. I would love to read the book. Thanks for your review.
NancyDrew12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancydrew12.html
Latest Review: The Tooth Fairy Makes A Mistake by Great-Aunt Rita

Post by NancyDrew12 »

As a lover of the supernatural this book sounds very interesting. Nicely done review!
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

This adventurous story will certainly be a fascinating one to read. Great review!
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

I love supernatural books filled with adventures, I think this book would be interesting to read,thanks for the honest review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an engaging novel and it's good to see that some old fantasy / horror tropes can still be used in good ways that keep the readers' attention. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

books about creatures and supernaturals are very amusing , interesting book, great review
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Are these characters supernatural beings or are they human? It isn’t clear to me from the review. Nevertheless I feel intrigued enough by it to read the book and figure it out.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”