Review of FitzDuncan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Review of FitzDuncan

Post by mmm17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "FitzDuncan" by John J Spearman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In FitzDuncan, written by John Spearman, we follow the protagonist, Casimir FitzDuncan (aka Caz), as he investigates the disappearance of Miss Julienne Traval, the daughter of Herbert Traval, a very wealthy merchant trader. Julienne is engaged to marry Bergeron, the Viscount du Pais, who is currently penniless; her fiancé has a terrible reputation, but he is very well connected and a close acquaintance of the Crown Prince, Albert. Throughout the book, Caz, with the invaluable help of his close friend Freddy (Lord Rawlinsford) and an acquaintance of Freddy's who is well-versed in the dark arts (Lucille Austermain, aka Lucy), dives into the mystery of Julienne’s kidnapping.

As the story begins, Sir Oliver, the Principal of the City Watch (constabulary and fire protection services combined) came to see Caz about Julienne’s disappearance, for he was the last person she saw. Caz suspects that Bergeron kidnapped Julienne to perform a black magic ritual. The plot thickens when Caz gets falsely accused of kidnapping Julienne, but no spoilers are allowed!

There are several positives worth mentioning in this entertaining read. For starters, the plot is imaginative and well-woven. In just four days, the obstinate protagonist has to surmount unimaginable obstacles, which include escaping violent thugs and a sojourn in prison, among other things. I thought that the mystery plot was the book’s strongest suit; it was what I liked the most. I also appreciated the author’s writing style; I thought it was vivid and rich. I felt transported the story’s ambiance of castles, nobility, and swords.

Additionally, the characters are multidimensional and well-developed. Caz is a markedly likable protagonist, and I found myself rooting for him, which I enjoyed. He’s not your usual hero, for he makes money helping people in difficult situations by recovering valuables where other (legal) forms of recovery are unavailable. Still, he is a lovely man with a big heart, and the author develops his nuanced personality beautifully. I also liked the author’s portrayal of Lucy, as well as her romantic involvement with Caz, which the author weaves with subtlety. I felt that Lucy's knowledge of the black arts brought a nice touch to the story.

In closing, I rate FitzDuncan 4 out of 4 stars. It is an imaginative and charming mystery story that I enjoyed reading, and there was nothing I disliked about it. The book seemed professionally edited, for I found no errors in it. I believe it will appeal to readers who enjoy mystery stories. However, it may hold less appeal to those who dislike magical elements.

FitzDuncan
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

I am not keen on reading yet another book launching a smear campaign against the occult. Great review though. Well done.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Pearl Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-thomas.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Pearl Thomas »

The plot seems generic, but it's great that the author has done a fantastic job in character development and storytelling. Nice review.
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

The storyline is perfect, I will certainly read this book. Great review!
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

i like novels that include the disappearance of characters and investigations, interesting book, great reveiw
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
Luchris_michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-michael.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Luchris_michael »

The book seems intriguing. The plot of the book is an amazing one. I would love to read. Thanks for your review.
NancyDrew12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancydrew12.html
Latest Review: The Tooth Fairy Makes A Mistake by Great-Aunt Rita

Post by NancyDrew12 »

This novel seems very entertaining! A kidnaping for a ritual? This sounds thrilling and like my type of novel. I enjoyed your review! :D
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

A mystery with fantasy / horror elements with and engaging plot and terrific characters seems like very funny to read. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I just can’t get myself interested in reading this book. It seems to me to be very confusing with all of the royal names.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”