Review of A Shadowing of Angels

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chiwelite O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwelite-o.html
Latest Review: The Water Bear by Groucho Jones

Review of A Shadowing of Angels

Post by Chiwelite O »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Shadowing of Angels" by WT Delaney.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I have always been a lover of books related to the Islamic war and ancient stories of the Jihad movement in Africa. Still, I have never paid too much attention to books on Islamic terrorism, mainly the Taliban, but I am glad I gave it a try.

A Shadowing of Angels is a book written by WT Delaney. This engaging masterpiece tells the story of a CIA American agent, David, also known as Connor. He was held hostage in Mosul, but he was rescued by a counterterrorism team known as Hedges and Fishers, headed by an ex-British Army Colonel, Danny McMaster, who retired after being accused of being part of a murder plot.

The story gives a tragic description of how some so-called religious leaders like Hassan carry out the Islamic laws. They use the power of the law to criticize those that go contrary to their dictates, including leaking information or spying on them. David was on the verge of death by these religious leaders as he was held hostage in prison, treated brutally, and awaited his execution. On the other hand, his father, Sir Ian, seeks help from Danny and his team to launch an undercover operation to infiltrate the prison in Mosul. It was a dangerous and bloody act to be taken, and so many emotions were involved. Was David rescued? Did the team get discovered during the operation by the Taliban? Find out about this by reading this book.

The book has considerable positive aspects. It is a thriller filled with suspense and an eagerness to know what might happen in the next scene. The storyline is unpredictable and keeps readers guessing, which I considered fascinating. Also, the story is very educative, and this book is a helpful piece for those interested to know about Islamic laws and how the Taliban operates. And with this, you'll always want to read further on the subject. Moreover, I must commend the professionalism of this book. It was exceptionally well edited because no error was found in the book.

For the negative aspect, this book has a very twisted plot, and the writing style is quite vague, which could confuse readers. For instance, I kept wondering where Eddie and Doc came from. Also, the story didn't have a convincing ending, and readers might not comprehend the writer's work; I could not track how the extractor and assault team got to Chechen. I mean, how did Mullah Muhammad survive? And how was the iPhone discovered? Initially, we were made to understand that if the phone is found, the team could be in trouble, but nothing was said about it. Moreover, some religious fanatics could consider some concepts of this book blasphemous.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I did not give this book a lower rating because it is a good read. I recommend this book to those that enjoy reading thrillers and adventurous books.

A Shadowing of Angels
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Shivali Y
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shivali-y.html
Latest Review: Sound of Redemption by William John Rostron

Post by Shivali Y »

The thriller part of this sounds interesting, but I might pass on it because of the negative aspects you mentioned. Thanks for a great review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

This novel gives me mixed feelings for its mix of merits and flaws. It's not particularly long, so I still might give it a try. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Books about Islamic terrorism and how it is thwarted have recently become a favorite of mine. I hope that Danny can be rescued! Thanks for the review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”