Review of Game of Twins - The Special Agent

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Review of Game of Twins - The Special Agent

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Game of Twins - The Special Agent" by Tom Ranseen.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Game of Twins - The Special Agent by Tom Ranseen is one book you won't forget in a hurry. Do you know those books that leave you at the edge of your chair or clutching a pillow, or biting your nails? Do you remember those books that linger in your mind while you're busy with other things, tugging at you to go back and finish reading them? This book is one of them.

A gruesome murder of identical twin sisters lighted up Derbert Hinke's world as an FBI special agent. The FBI director summoned him, gave him a raise with special privileges, and satisfied his craving for beautiful women. But anger set in when the director, who gave him the case to handle, wouldn't let him follow the investigations to a conclusion because it wasn't turning out the way he (the director) wanted. As the years went by, it became apparent that it was a case of serial killings, as murder after murder of identical twin girls reoccurred. In the course of his investigations, Hinke realized he was up against supernatural powers. Unfortunately, he was way too deep to let go; he was determined to unravel the mystery and end the murders.

I must say that when I started reading the book, I was thrilled to discover it was in the crime/mystery/thriller genre. However, I felt disappointed because it looked like all the answers were already apparent for one to see from the beginning. That didn't feel like a mystery to me. Alas, I was wrong! I judged too quickly. The turn of events took me aback, which was how I liked it. Tom Ranseen brought his A-game to this one. His top-notch storytelling skill was visible, and he did an excellent job interweaving the historical events of the book's time frame into his story.

As much as I enjoyed the plot, I did care a little for the depiction of violence. The murder scenes were horrific, and the detailed descriptions left nothing to the imagination. However, the supernatural touch helped to explain any concern that a human being could be capable of such gruesome acts.

In addition to that, the sex scenes were many and detailed, and heavy profane language was used. This book would be unsuitable for young readers. I'd recommend it to lovers of crime and mystery who wouldn't get nauseous reading the gory scenes. The editing of this book was okay, as there were a few minor errors. Considering that I couldn't pick out any fault, I'd rate the book 4 out of 4 stars.

Game of Twins - The Special Agent
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

Nice! I love fast-paced murder mysteries! Thanks for a great review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

Sam Ibeh wrote: 06 Oct 2021, 04:05
I must say that when I started reading the book, I was thrilled to discover it was in the crime/mystery/thriller genre. However, I felt disappointed because it looked like all the answers were already apparent for one to see from the beginning. That didn't feel like a mystery to me. Alas, I was wrong! I judged too quickly. The turn of events took me aback, which was how I liked it. Tom Ranseen brought his A-game to this one. His top-notch storytelling skill was visible, and he did an excellent job interweaving the historical events of the book's time frame into his story.
That's just how I like my thrillers to be! Thank you for the great review!
Hankk
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Hankk »

Thank you the review. I recently read Ranseen's most recent book and could not have summerized it any better that you have. His first two, they actually follow Special Agent, are also have that "edge of seat " feel. This would make a great Netflix limited series.
David Metimba
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-matimba.html
Latest Review: Red Wave Imperative by Alan Schein

Post by David Metimba »

This book definitely sounds like something right up my alley! I dabble in a lot of genres but the crime/mystery/thriller and supernatural genres are my cup of tea. Thanks for the detailed and very engaging review (if I say so myself).

Can't wait to sit down with this one. :techie-studyingbrown:
"One glance at a book and you hear the voice of another person, perhaps someone dead for 1,000 years. To read is to voyage through time."

Carl Sagan :techie-studyingbrown:
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I normally like murder/crime mysteries. I don’t, however, like gruesome murder or sex scenes. I don’t think that I can ignore those.
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intense supernatural thriller. I read gory horror stories, so that element wouldn't be a problem for me. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
collinsogw555
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-collinsogw555.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by collinsogw555 »

I love to read books about murder and the horror experience that comes with it. Would the FBI love this mystery. I will need to find out. Thanks for your review.
GNerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnerd.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by GNerd »

It's shocking to know that there was nothing more to discover as one journeys into the book. I love your honesty. Excellent review I must say.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”