Review of Accidental Target

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Review of Accidental Target

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Accidental Target" by B. Payton Settles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Iris De Vere is a young lady with big dreams and aspirations. New in town and looking for a job, Iris stumbles upon the biggest mystery of her young career. With the help of her friends and family, will she be able to solve this puzzle? Set in California, this story has a modern-day feel to it. It takes one a few years back to the days of teenage sleuthing and unsolvable mysteries, which are positively nostalgic.

Accidental Target by B. Payton Settles is an exciting crime mystery that can best be described as the benefits of being in the right place at the right time, for want of better words to express my thoughts. Our young heroine is a quintessential female with lofty dreams, aspirations, and determination to prove herself worthy to the people in her life. She is fragile and fierce at the same time, and her refusal to back down when she thinks she is on to something is just so charming. It's like watching a cocker spaniel struggling with a bone in its mouth.

I enjoyed analyzing the various characters in the book with their different outlooks on life. There were the quirky ones, the humorous individuals, and the downright creepy, underhanded urchins at work. There was almost no romance in this story, but with the way our heroine got into it with the men in her circle, I had the impression that there was a possible romance angle hidden within this murder mystery. The storyline was very smooth, and the author kept the suspense at a high tempo right till the end of the book. The attention to detail in terms of character development was applaudable.

If there were anything I disliked about the book, It would be the mild stereotyping within it. The way I saw it, the author made it look like black Hispanics are only known for societal vices. This could be a big challenge for readers caught up in this stereotype. Beyond that, there was nothing else to dislike and everything else to love about this book. B. Payton Settles put a gem on paper here — a true masterpiece with an explosive mix of culture and mystery. Hopefully, this would be the beginning of a new series of crime novels.

In this present day, with so many negative influences on radio and television, having a fictional role model to look up to would go a long way to add some stability to the life of a child. I would recommend this book to children and youth in need of guidance and direction. School administrators would also be doing their pupils and students an excellent service to include this book in their reading curriculum.

Accidental Target is a lovely book with a relatable heroine, a plot that holds your attention to the very last page, and more than enough helping of humor to go along with it. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The editing may have been better. However, this is a book well worth the time spent on it.

Accidental Target
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kingsley Emodi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kingsley-emodi.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Kingsley Emodi »

Students in need of direction seem to be the greatest beneficiaries of the book. Being that I fall in this category, I'll check the book out. Great review.
Nonso Ok
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-ok.html
Latest Review: A Murder in Brownsville by Donald Steven Collins

Post by Nonso Ok »

Although you still gave the book a perfect rating I think the stereotyping in it is a big no for me. I would pass, the author should properly handle this aspect.
Luchris_michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-michael.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Luchris_michael »

The determination to prove oneself worthy is a wonderful thing but it should be kept in check at all times. I would love to read the book so as to understand the author's perspective. Good review.
collinsogw555
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-collinsogw555.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by collinsogw555 »

The title and the book cover got my attention and from the review, I wouldn't have expected less from this book. Her zeal to solve this mystery seems to be encouraging. Great review.
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I really like books with a strong female lead. Iris seems to be the kind of woman who would stand up for herself no matter what.
Lee-dre L
Currently Reading: Troubled Blood
Bookshelf Size: 169
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lee-dre-l.html
Latest Review: Waves Break (on Unknown Shores) by Barry Litherland
Reading Device: B005890G8Y

Post by Lee-dre L »

Teenage sleuths like Nancy Drew used to be my heroes when I was younger. It really is very important for young girls to have a positive role model, and there is nothing wrong with that role model being fictional. This book seems delightful, I might just give it a try.
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

I remember reading mysteries featuring young investigators when I was a kid. Now, I'm probably too old for that kind of story but young readers can find inspiration in novels like this one. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
GNerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnerd.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by GNerd »

I really hope Irish solves this mystery. Amazing plot and storyline. Good job

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”