Review of Under the Weather

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Review of Under the Weather

Post by Prisallen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Under the Weather" by John Avanzato.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dr. John Cesari’s mother passed away about twenty years ago, and her property has been unoccupied since then. John finally decides to sell it, and his realtor is having landscapers clean up the yard, which includes taking down an old shed in the backyard. Vito Gianelli, John’s close friend since childhood, informs him that they have a problem. Vito is a mobster and runs a lot of the underworld activities in Manhattan. Unknown to John, Vito has been storing bodies underneath the shed. They need to swiftly remove the bodies before they are discovered. However, it is not going to be as easy as they thought.

John and Vito have another friend from high school named Joe Choffy, who works as a meteorologist. Recently, several other meteorologists have died from suspicious circumstances, all on the thirteenth day of consecutive months. Joe is a little nervous about the potential danger as the thirteenth day of September is rapidly approaching. Vito volunteers himself and John to watch Joe’s back. Nonetheless, Joe is shot, and his wife falls to her death from their balcony. It is now up to Vito and John to figure out what happened. Who is targeting meteorologists and what caused Joe’s wife to fall to her death?

Under the Weather by John Avanzato is a 371-page crime drama/mystery with elements of romance mixed in. Although I didn’t recognize it before reading the book, this novel is one of several written with John Cesari as the leading protagonist. However, this is a standalone story with all of the questions thoroughly answered by the end of the book. The author is a physician, and he used his knowledge to create a character who is a doctor. He also grew up in the Bronx, N.Y. in the 1960s and 1970s, so that experience also helped in creating a credible story. I loved his writing style. It was effortless to understand and had me enthralled throughout the tale. Several threads run through the novel, keeping the action and suspense moving. The reader is never quite sure where it is going to go next. The clues are gradually revealed, and the protagonist’s actions are completely unexpected, leaving me astounded at times. I was especially surprised by the ending. Without a doubt, it is a tough book to put down.

I thoroughly enjoyed the characters in the story. John Cesari represents a flawed character. He has a previous history of being a mobster. Although he has a good heart and is trying to live as a respectable physician, he doesn’t shy away from violence and death if it is needed to protect his friends and innocent people. Vito doesn’t seem to have any redeeming qualities at first; however, he also would undertake anything to protect his friends and family. Their deep friendship is unusual for two people with such different occupations, but the author makes it believable.

I truly wish I could award this book a four-star rating as I enjoyed it tremendously. Sadly though, I encountered too many errors for a perfect score. Another round of editing is recommended. Consequently, Under the Weather receives a rating of three out of four stars. It is enthusiastically recommended to people who enjoy crime dramas and mysteries. However, sensitive readers need to be aware that graphic violence and murder are encountered in the book. Rape is also alluded to but not described in detail.

Under the Weather
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kingsley Emodi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kingsley-emodi.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Kingsley Emodi »

Being a sensitive person, books with graphic details don't appeal to me. However, I'm sure the right audience will enjoy this one. Great review.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Kingsley Emodi wrote: 11 Oct 2021, 03:11 Being a sensitive person, books with graphic details don't appeal to me. However, I'm sure the right audience will enjoy this one. Great review.
I understand. I appreciate you reading my review and commenting!
Janet Kimetto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Janet Kimetto »

By the second paragraph, I was like, wow! I can see how it can become difficult to put this book down. Thanks for the wonderful review!
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
NancyDrew12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancydrew12.html
Latest Review: The Tooth Fairy Makes A Mistake by Great-Aunt Rita

Post by NancyDrew12 »

Wow I could only imagine how id react if a friend of mine told me they'd been harboring bodies in my moms yard! The plot of this story sounds very entertaining and I might just have to give it a try. I enjoyed your review! :D
Last edited by NancyDrew12 on 11 Oct 2021, 12:46, edited 1 time in total.
collinsogw555
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-collinsogw555.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by collinsogw555 »

The storyline of this book sounds interesting as John is eager to find a way to sell his mother's properties. Would have to pick this book to find out more. Nice review.
Edidiong Ebong
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edidiong-ebong.html
Latest Review: No Dark Clouds by R W Nelson

Post by Edidiong Ebong »

The review itself makes this book a must read, I'd love to see the end of the mystery.
Thank you for the review.
Fareed Regal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fareed-regal.html
Latest Review: In Plain Sight by Susan Mallett

Post by Fareed Regal »

Well done on a great review. I am definitely adding this one to my to-read list.
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

The bodies hidden under the shed seem quite grizzly 👻Thanks for a great review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds like a solid and very entertaining criminal thriller with a reliable leading character :) I love that the ending is unpredictable! Thank you for this insightful review!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

C Janet wrote: 11 Oct 2021, 09:17 By the second paragraph, I was like, wow! I can see how it can become difficult to put this book down. Thanks for the wonderful review!
It truly was difficult. I hope you get a chance to read it. Thanks for stopping by!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Rashawn Carter wrote: 11 Oct 2021, 12:43 Wow I could only imagine how id react if a friend of mine told me they'd been harboring bodies in my moms yard! The plot of this story sounds very entertaining and I might just have to give it a try. I enjoyed your review! :D
I agree. I don't think they would be my friend any longer. :lol: I hope you give the book a try. I don't think you would regret it!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

collinsogw555 wrote: 11 Oct 2021, 15:03 The storyline of this book sounds interesting as John is eager to find a way to sell his mother's properties. Would have to pick this book to find out more. Nice review.
Selling the property is not a big part of the book. The bodies that are stored at his mother's property, as well as the meteorologists' murders are the main plots in the book. I hope you get to read it. I'm sure you would enjoy it!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Edidiong Ebong wrote: 11 Oct 2021, 15:29 The review itself makes this book a must read, I'd love to see the end of the mystery.
Thank you for the review.
It is definitely a captivating book that will keep your interest all the way through. I'm sure you will appreciate it!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Fareed Regal wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 09:08 Well done on a great review. I am definitely adding this one to my to-read list.
Thank you for reading my review. Good reading! :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”