Review of Cadillac Hubie

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Review of Cadillac Hubie

Post by Brenda Creech »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Cadillac Hubie" by Rad Crews.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Cadillac Hubie, Rad Crews has added a little fantasy flavor to a mystery crime novel. The story focuses on a powerful ancient artifact guarded by the Devil, Hubie's 1959 red and white Cadillac convertible, and the dangerous Diaz drug cartel. When Hubie's blues club burns to the ground, Hubie and his best friend Bear head across the country in Hubie's Cadillac convertible with intentions of opening a new blues club in California. Oblivious to the fact there is an ancient artifact hidden in the car that the dangerous Diaz cartel is after. When someone steals the vehicle, Hubie and Bear team up with a man named Gomez Gomez, who seems to have special powers of his own, the three men head back across the country to pursue Hubie's Cadillac and the artifact Gomez Gomez needs to return to its people. When they arrive at the Diaz fortress, high on a mountain, they encounter fierce gunfights with the cartel. Can they survive the vicious war? Does Hubie get his Cadillac back? Does Gomez Gomez get the artifact that is now in the hands of the drug lord Alfredo Diaz?

Rad Crews has written an action-packed novel the reader won't want to put down. The book is a delightful mix of colorful characters, a unique storyline, and non-stop action. My favorite part of the book was the cross-country trip Hubie and Bear made when they were on their way to California—Bear driving and Hubie listening to his extraordinary collection of music. They had their adventures along the way, but basically, Hubie and Bear enjoyed the experience. Another aspect of the book that I liked is there were no explicit sex scenes, and the author has kept the profanity to a moderate level.

There was one thoroughly unlikeable character. Yolanda, the sister of the drug lord, Alfredo Diaz, was obnoxious and disgusting. I could vividly picture her from the author's description and immediately disliked her. She was greedy and wanted to share in her brother's wealth, or preferably, have it all for herself. She is the character you love to hate. The thing I disliked most about the book was the Devil guarding the ancient artifact. In the story, the antique relic was powerful, regarded as sacred by the natives, and kept in a peaceful valley at the top of a mountain called Devil's Peak. The water in the valley, rumored to be magic, had many believing it was the location of The Fountain of Youth. In my opinion, nothing blessed or peaceful connects to the Devil.

I believe the book had professional editing as I encountered only three typos. The storyline was unique and multifaceted as it focused on three main issues; the ancient artifact, the Cadillac, and the drug cartel—each a story of its own. The reader will find themself satisfied at the end of the book and ready to read more works by this author, who has a flair for writing. For those reasons, I cannot rate this book anything but 4 out of 4 stars.

I recommend this book to adult fans of crime novels with a touch of fantasy, a hint of romance, and fast-paced action. Although there is only a moderate level of profanity, I feel the action scenes would be too intense for a reader younger than eighteen because the violence in some of the scenes is graphic. Also, despite there being no actual sex scenes, there are enough insinuations of the subject to be a bit too vivid for the younger reader.

Cadillac Hubie
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Nonso Ok
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-ok.html
Latest Review: A Murder in Brownsville by Donald Steven Collins

Post by Nonso Ok »

As a lover of crime thrillers I think this would be perfect for me. Thank you.
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Nonso Ok wrote: 17 Oct 2021, 18:08 As a lover of crime thrillers I think this would be perfect for me. Thank you.
I'm sure you would enjoy it. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
collinsogw555
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-collinsogw555.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by collinsogw555 »

This is an action and fast-paced book that has an interesting storyline of drug cartels and the devil which I would love to read. Thanks for the review.
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

collinsogw555 wrote: 18 Oct 2021, 17:15 This is an action and fast-paced book that has an interesting storyline of drug cartels and the devil which I would love to read. Thanks for the review.
Thank you for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
Noilaus
Currently Reading: Russia Hoax
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noilaus.html
Latest Review: Marco Martinez by R M Allan

Post by Noilaus »

Cartel dealings provoke me to think vastly, so I think this book should be on my reading list. Thank you for the wonderful review
WE BELIEVE IN EXCELLENCE.
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

I like the fact that the author was realistic enough to add a 'Yolanda' character. This kind is very much here with us. Good job on the review 👌
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I think that I would like this novel if I based my opinion solely on the cover art. However, reading the review gave me a different opinion. I am not sure what the Devil has to do with anything, but I can appreciate Hubie’s desire to retrieve his Cadillac.
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Noilaus wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 13:38 Cartel dealings provoke me to think vastly, so I think this book should be on my reading list. Thank you for the wonderful review
Books about the cartel can be very dynamic! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

RHD wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 22:49 I like the fact that the author was realistic enough to add a 'Yolanda' character. This kind is very much here with us. Good job on the review 👌
Oh yes, and the Yolanda in this book is really something! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! :D
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Amy Luman wrote: 25 Oct 2021, 14:47 I think that I would like this novel if I based my opinion solely on the cover art. However, reading the review gave me a different opinion. I am not sure what the Devil has to do with anything, but I can appreciate Hubie’s desire to retrieve his Cadillac.
I found the part about the Devil out of place in the story, but it did tie in with the ending. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: The Killing Machine
Bookshelf Size: 428
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by NetMassimo »

This novel seems to have quite a unique mix of elements being a crime thriller with a fantasy flavor. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

NetMassimo wrote: 04 Nov 2021, 09:17 This novel seems to have quite a unique mix of elements being a crime thriller with a fantasy flavor. Thank you for your great review!
Yes, it was definitely different! Thanks for stopping by!
B. Creech
Purplesturv
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-purplesturv.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Purplesturv »

I love crime thrillers. The book cover is vibrant and your detailed review makes the book more enticing.
Adelle v
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adelle-v.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Adelle v »

I normally avoid books based on drug cartels. But having read this great review, I might just change my mind and give Hubie and Bear a chance.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”