Review of The Complicated Trane

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Review of The Complicated Trane

Post by Sou Hi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Complicated Trane" by Charlie Girard.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Complicated Trane by Charlie Girard starts when an English man comes to Jack Trane, a middle-aged private investigator. This person claims to be the representative of an insurance company, and he has an urgent favor to ask of Jack. The Henry Graves Supercomplication, his anonymous client's precious timepiece, has been stolen. If the insurance company can't return it, they will have to pay 20 million dollars to compensate for the loss. The item itself is a piece of art, and as a watch lover, the deal fascinates Jack. Will this case be interesting enough for him? If not, how about the $200,000 fee for whoever can find the object? Not to mention, the watch is worth 24 million bucks, meaning who has it can have a luxurious life for decades. Can Jack resist the temptation and give the timepiece back to its rightful owner?

Unlike other detective novels, this book doesn't mention the protagonist's love life. In fact, even though Jack loves to flirt with women, he is not in a romantic relationship with anyone. The entire plot is about the case. Still, that doesn't mean there are only males in this story. While she is not among the main cast, Trudy is my favorite female character. As Jack's secretary, she helps him investigate and extract many useful pieces of information. She gives him the tools he requires. She even saves her boss several times, especially when he is in a pinch. In addition, I like the detective's generosity towards the working class. Though Jack doesn't earn a lot of money, he always makes sure to lavishly tip the servers, the street vendors, and the taxi drivers.

Interestingly, some modern techniques are employed in the story, such as 3D printing, radar detectors, or tracking apps and devices. In my opinion, this is how investigations should be conducted when we are living in the robotic era.

On the downside, I feel that the author is trying a bit too hard to describe every movement of the characters, making the narrative long-winded. There are also several repeated details, like how Jack chooses his daily attires, the way he dresses, or the way he moves his car around. Personally, I find these scenes unnecessary, as the plot becomes more tedious with them. Besides, the copy I received has so many grammar errors that I would strongly suggest another round of proofreading.

Because of the mentioned negative points, I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It should be appealing to those who want a detective novel where the protagonist can make use of modern scientific knowledge. The copy is void of profanities and erotic details, so it's suitable for both adults and teenagers.

The Complicated Trane
View: on Bookshelves
Kingsley Emodi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kingsley-emodi.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Kingsley Emodi »

Detective novels aren't my favourite but your review draws me to this one. Great review you have here. Well done.
viczboy16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-viczboy16.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by viczboy16 »

I don’t know what I’ll do if I get a watch costing 24 million bucks. I wonder what jack does. Now I’m eager to read this book. Such a wonderful review.
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Judged by the cover, I thought this might be a good old-fashioned detective novel. I guess I shouldn’t judge by the covers! This character is obviously a modern detective with modern tools. I like that the author left out all sidetracks and only concentrated on the case. It sounds like a fresh approach, as detective stories always tend to include some sort of relationships.

Thanks for the interesting review!
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
Fareed Regal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fareed-regal.html
Latest Review: In Plain Sight by Susan Mallett

Post by Fareed Regal »

With so much money involved, I just have to know what happens next. I think your review will attract many readers who love this genre. Great job!
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

The case in this book sounds really interesting, and I like that there isn't any romance involved in the story. Thanks for the great review!
lightsammy
Currently Reading: And Throw Away The Skins
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lightsammy.html
Latest Review: The Bronze Bear by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by lightsammy »

Thanks for the review! this seems more of an investigative series especially with the huge amount of money involved.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I don’t really enjoy detective novels, but no romance? That’s different. You don’t find that much in any genre.
Ekezie1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekezie1998.html
Latest Review: life lessons of wayne by shawn wayne swearingen

Post by Ekezie1998 »

Quite an intriguing plot we have here. Would definitely love to have this book on my shelf. Great review here.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

Despite being heavy on details, this novel seems like an intriguing mystery using cutting-edge detective techniques. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
viczboy16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-viczboy16.html

Post by viczboy16 »

There’s a lot of twists and suspense in this book. If I have that wristwatch, I really do not know if I’ll return it for a $200000 reward. I look forward to finding out the turn of events in this book.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”