Review of Slippery Slopes

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Review of Slippery Slopes

Post by Prisallen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Slippery Slopes" by Ronald O. Kaiser.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

New Year’s Day is approaching and Stony Creek Resort, which is a huge skiing resort in the Allegheny Mountains, is fully booked with people wanting to ski and celebrate the holiday. However, there are a lot of secrets being kept at Stony Creek, and several people don’t have their minds on partying.

Joe Duck is a bungling thief who has rarely earned an honest dollar in his life. He worked at Stony Creek about fifteen years ago, before getting fired for stealing. Thinking he knows the lay of the land enough to make it easy, Joe is making plans to rob the money room. The head of security at Stony Creek, called "The Chief," is a corrupt ex-policeman who wants to bring his son, Foley, the owner of a security firm, onboard. Therefore, Foley and one of his employees, Linda, are coming for the holiday to meet with Otto, one of the owners. They are covertly dating, but Linda possesses a gigantic secret that she is concealing from Foley. Hedy and Heidi are beautiful twins who are also part owners of the resort. Hedy was viciously raped several years previously—something she has never revealed to anyone. She has never been able to put it behind her and is making plans for revenge. Heidi is covertly dating a cruel married man, unaware of his true personality. A wealthy and mysterious millionaire wants to buy Stony Creek and is making an offer that is difficult to refuse. Who is he, and why is he so desperate to buy the resort?

Slippery Slopes: Revenge, Ruse and Robbery by Ronald O. Kaiser is a 486-page novel listed in the C/T/M/H genre. As one can see from the previous description, there are various threads in this story. However, they are all flawlessly woven together as the story proceeds. The beginning of the book is a little slow as the characters and their backgrounds are revealed to the reader. However, I encourage the reader to continue reading as all of the information they are receiving will play an important part later. Once the characters are introduced, the action and suspense pick up, and the story becomes extremely difficult to stop reading until it is finished. Several twists help to keep the reader guessing as to where the plot is heading. In addition to the suspense, humor is woven into the tale at times to lighten the mood. There were times I found myself laughing aloud while reading the story and picturing what was taking place from the author’s marvelous descriptions.

The novel is narrated from the third-person point of view, from multiple perspectives. Each chapter is clearly labeled, so the reader will realize which character the story is focusing on at that time. This makes it very easy to understand and follow. All of the questions are resolved satisfactorily by the end of the novel.

Although I loved this story, I sadly encountered too many punctuation and grammatical errors. Another round of editing should help it fulfill its highest potential. Because this was the only thing I could find fault with, Slippery Slopes: Revenge, Ruse and Robbery achieves a rating of three out of four stars. It is highly recommended to readers who enjoy crime dramas and suspense novels with a dash of humor. Sensitive readers should be aware that profanity and explicit sex, including graphic rape, are encountered in the story. In addition, please know that sometimes crass and derogatory language is used in the novel, which some people might find offensive. However, I feel like this is appropriate, in this case, because it aids the reader in understanding the character who is doing the talking (or thinking) and their flaws.

Slippery Slopes
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Unosthetic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unosthetic.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Unosthetic »

This novel has numerous secrets that are intriguing my curiosity. I bet this book is such a great novel. Thanks for sharing your in-depth thoughts about this book.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

Unosthetic wrote: 01 Nov 2021, 19:09 This novel has numerous secrets that are intriguing my curiosity. I bet this book is such a great novel. Thanks for sharing your in-depth thoughts about this book.
It is an excellent book with lots of intrigue. I hope you get a chance to read it!
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a suspenseful crime story full of twists and flawed characters, though some bits are really brutal. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Immaculate06
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-immaculate06.html
Latest Review: ByTheWay by Dennis Santos

Post by Immaculate06 »

The book cover design is beautiful, and the snow indicates the time at which the story happens. The book has a number of themes within it. It would be a good read. Good review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”