Review of FitzDuncan's Alchemy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-schmidt.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Review of FitzDuncan's Alchemy

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "FitzDuncan's Alchemy" by John J Spearman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

FitzDuncan’s Alchemy, the second instalment in the FitzDuncan series, is an action-adventure fiction novel written by John Spearman. Though the first book, FitzDuncan, would provide some context as to the story’s and characters’ history and origins, the events of the second novel unfold in such a way that it can be read as a standalone.

Casimir FitzDuncan, Caz to his friends, is the illegitimate son of the Earl of the Western March. Life has shaped his character into one of resourcefulness, grit, and perseverance. This helps him in his chosen path of recovering lost or stolen goods for others, being paid half of the value of the items when he succeeds. He’s still slightly on the mend from his battle with Prince Wim, brother to the rightful heir, Prince Albert, whose improvement in character allows for a tentative relationship to form between the two. Albert sends Lord Tulley his way, a member of the prince’s circle who is a victim of investment fraud. Caz then devises a ruse to scam a scammer, roleplaying a small-time schemer who’s desperate for aid. Meanwhile, he realizes his feelings for Lucy, Lady Darling, have grown too strong to ignore, working up the courage to ask her father’s permission to marry her. Their happiness is at risk, however. Caz’s scheme makes him a target of Nils Pedersen, a man of dark means intent on revenge.

I loved the characters, most especially their interactions. The detail which Caz employed in the carrying out of his ruse, considering most angles I would never think of, was fascinating. His stature in life is that of a bastard, but he isn’t whiny or resentful; rather, he’s very matter of fact and good-natured about nearly everything. Also, Lucy and Greta were interesting foils to Caz’s and Freddy’s characters. I liked reading how Lucy ‘handled’ Caz; for indeed, that is the only term that fits their back-and-forth. She seemed to possess clairvoyant abilities, never batting an eyelash at the odd situations he frequently found himself in.

The story is told in this cheeky narration that makes one think of dashingly handsome rakes, though without the pesky womanizing traits. There’s an old-world quality to it, though it has its own thing, with three Major and nine Minor Gods, set in Aquileia, where upturned noses, a shared and marked avoidance of the word ‘magic’, and mafia-esque crime bosses seem to equally prosper.

The worldbuilding is top-notch in relation to how it’s spoon-fed to the reader. There’s the promise of there being some supernatural or fantasy element with the continuation of the series. I’m interested to see where Spearman takes it; he’s set the groundwork, but just how far or how deep into the ‘other’ does he intend to take the story? Romance, suspense, and a little mystery help to make the story all the better. The best way to describe the ending of the book is a mellow cliff-hanger, leaving room for all these subgenres to flourish.

Five errors in total in a twelve-chapter book is not too bad. As such, I gathered that the novel has been exceptionally well edited. There were some minor cases of profanity, but these were infrequent, and the sexual content present was of the vague, skimmed-over variety.

My rating for FitzDuncan’s Alchemy is 4 out of 4 stars. I could find no shortcoming that would warrant a removal of any star. An A+ narration, great dialogue, characters who vibe well with each other and are interesting to read about, and a wonderful storyline are some of the reasons this book is worth recommending. People who like adventures that feature swords, duchies, and the promise of magical exploration would love this book. I don’t think those who are on the hunt for high-fantasy reads would find this book appealing.

FitzDuncan's Alchemy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Alexander C Schmoock
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-c-schmoock.html
Latest Review: Survived, evolved against all the odds by Ruth Mantile

Post by Alexander C Schmoock »

Lovers of action-adventure fiction novels will most definitely find this book really interesting. Great review.
Chijindu Ifedigbo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chijindu-ifedigbo.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Chijindu Ifedigbo »

As a lover of action adventure fiction books, i will be adding this to my book to read. This is a very good review
Rishi_reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishi-reviews.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Rishi_reviews »

I always enjoy a book filled with adventures and action. I'll definitely try to look into it more. Thanks for the insightful review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

The first novel of this series seemed like a mystery with fantasy / horror elements with an engaging plot and terrific characters. It's good to see that the second book seems like very funny to read as well, making me want to read both books. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Mary Lou Mills
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: The Buffalo Soldier
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-lou-mills.html
Latest Review: Permaculture for the Absolute Beginner by Dawn Raynes
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 8%

Post by Mary Lou Mills »

It sounds like there's room for a whole series here!
Immaculate06
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-immaculate06.html
Latest Review: ByTheWay by Dennis Santos

Post by Immaculate06 »

The interactions between the characters is quite unique. I love the plot of the book. Thanks for your review.
Duha Khan
Currently Reading: Rogue Justice
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Duha Khan »

Caz seems like an interesting character. Not really my type of story but the characters seem fun to read about.
Nwadinso Okoro
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-okoro.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy (series) by Claire Youmans

Post by Nwadinso Okoro »

The plot of the book is quite interesting and unique. Casimir FitzDuncan, the illegitimate son of the Earl the Western March, is quite talented in what he does. The book delves into his life and the actions that he takes. I think this book would be a good read for me. Thanks for your review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”