Review of Boutone, The Boy Monster of the Okefenokee Swamp

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Review of Boutone, The Boy Monster of the Okefenokee Swamp

Post by Erin Dydek »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Boutone, The Boy Monster of the Okefenokee Swamp" by William P. Davis.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When the Moss family returns from their weekend fishing trip, an unexpected adventure begins. The innocent glob of mud that tangled up Jeff Moss's fishing line turns out to be a living being, a baby swamp monster, to be exact. As Jeff and his older sister Jill hide the curious little creature in the nearby spring, keeping it a secret from their parents, tension rises within the family. Jill and Jeff insist that Boutone is perfectly harmless, yet their brother Harry feels strongly otherwise. As the oldest of the three Moss children, Harry feels responsible for warning his younger siblings about the potential danger of the strange aquatic being. After all, Boutone continues to grow at an alarming rate, and his unpredictable temperament could spell disaster if no one discovers the truth about his origin.

Boutone, The Boy Monster of the Okefenokee Swamp is an exciting short horror story by William P. Davis. I loved that the author incorporated the folklore surrounding the Okefenokee Swamp in Georgia to create an engaging tale about the monsters he learned about in passed-down stories while growing up. We all have our spooky legends that haunted our waking dreams and nightmares as children, and Davis brought this fascination with scary stories and unexplained events to life. The myths and legends surrounding the water people of the swamp made for an authentic backstory for the mysterious adolescent creature that bonded with the youngest two Moss children. I also enjoyed the suspense that built up to the stunning conclusion. The end was not quite what I expected but was a plausible outcome for the sentiments and emotions developed throughout the narrative.

Overall, I enjoyed the pacing of the story as well as the concepts presented. However, this book was not very long, and I felt a few areas would have significantly improved with additional development. There were intricate details about the family, and it would have been nice to have more time to absorb the connections and information presented. I also would have appreciated more time for the emotional development in Jill's storyline, making her reactions to the changing Boutone more dynamic. The family history and Jill's dilemma were excellent plot points that sparked excitement as I read, making it difficult to put the book down. Still, I felt that it would have been fantastic to have a bit more time to let the plot progression sink in and play out before the conclusion.

While not too distracting, I also noticed several proofreading errors concerning possessives and missing punctuation at the end of the character dialogue. Unfortunately, I had to reduce the rating by one star because there were more than ten errors throughout the book. Still, the quality of the writing and the chilling suspense made me happy to give Boutone, The Boy Monster of the Okefenokee Swamp three out of four stars.

I'd highly recommend Boutone to readers who love stories based on local folklore and family conflicts. This short story should also appeal to those with a soft spot for strange and elusive beings like Big Foot, Nessie, and other mysterious creatures. Occasional minor swearing and a few scenes of violence exist within the story and would be appropriate for teens and adults. For those who prefer to listen to books, Boutone is available in audiobook format on Amazon and Audible, featuring the rich vocals of Jack Nolan.

Boutone, The Boy Monster of the Okefenokee Swamp
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Shivansh_007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shivansh-007.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Shivansh_007 »

I haven't read many horror stories in my life so this will be a good one as it is a small one with a great plot. Thanks for the review.
Review Writer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideonwrites-review.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Review Writer »

This horror book seems fascinating. though I've not been reading more of horror books. Keeping swamp monster sounds scary, and that is what makes it fascinating to me.
Signature of Grace.
Wejdan_15
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Wejdan_15 »

I love horror stories. It kind of helps me to be careful in my life. In addition, it has a kind of suspense and excellence in the narration.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an engaging horror story taking advantage of folklore, so I hope the author does another round of proofreading to correct the errors. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Rishi_reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishi-reviews.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Rishi_reviews »

I haven't read many horror stories so I think this one will be good for me. It has a very interesting plot and I'm always fascinated by the backstory of the characters. Thanks for the review.
Immaculate06
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-immaculate06.html
Latest Review: ByTheWay by Dennis Santos

Post by Immaculate06 »

The book is engaging and quite fascinating. The author's perspective of myths and legends is not bad. Good review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”