Review of A Time For The Wicked

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: The Man In the cafe by Michael J Pilkington

Review of A Time For The Wicked

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Time For The Wicked" by Howard Keiser.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Humanity's advancements in science and technology have undoubtedly improved living standards and quality of life for everyone. Space exploration is now possible; diseases that were death sentences are now curable, thanks to science and technology. While there are many benefits to these advancements, they are not without drawbacks.

In A Time For The Wicked by Howard Keiser, the reader follows a doctor, a military general, a former Navy SEAL, and some other gifted persons. Together, they scheme to thwart the plans of a callous, power-crazed individual that possesses a double-edged scientific invention that can change humanity forever.

My favourite aspects of the book are its fast pace and detailed narration. The author did well to introduce the action a few pages into the story while giving good character backstories and maintaining a gripping plot.

Though the characters have good backstories, some seem robotic. Before John's group met, they had different lifestyles. I expected their disparate personalities to make for a rich and intricate plot. Instead, afterwards, I noticed they had similar behaviours. The lack of substantial variations in their views and attitudes made them seem unrealistic. It could be their heightened God-consciousness, though. Still, as a Christian, I can attest that a close relationship with God doesn't confer perfection on a person.

Also, the romance stories were pedestrian. All the couples had similar love stories. I can't picture a world where two people meet each other and fall hopelessly in love without knowing the other person's temperament. Once is a possibility, but a perpetual circle of love at first sight is absurd. Moreover, I don't think every character needs a love interest, especially when the relationship doesn't improve the plot. In addition, there is a conversation between two characters I found distasteful. Despite her attraction to him, I doubt any woman would be comfortable entertaining sexual innuendos from a man she just met.

Conclusively, I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed it, but the execution could be better. It is the first book in the series. Hopefully, the sequel will feature a more sophisticated plot. Though I spotted a few errors in it, I can attest that the editing is professional.

I would recommend the book to fans of action and romance novels with trimmings of science fiction. The book is a Christian novel, and it contains instances of supernatural occurrences. If such things bother you, you might not enjoy the book. In addition, it also features profanities and lucid depictions of violence to humans and animals.

A Time For The Wicked
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Shivansh_007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shivansh-007.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Shivansh_007 »

I'm always in for some adventurous fictional books and this one just grabbed my attention in the first sight. Very well written review explaining the book and it's pros and cons. Thank-you.
Paluk Pathania
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paluk-pathania.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Paluk Pathania »

A new book with a fascinating premise! This is something I'd be interested in. I enjoyed reading your review, thanks.
Abbe Pierce 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Abbe Pierce 1 »

This book is exactly my kind of read. Your review was amazing. You gave enough to get me wanting more! Thank you
Wejdan_15
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Wejdan_15 »

I love horror stories. It kind of helps me to be careful in my life. In addition, it has a kind of suspense and excellence in the narration.
Julius J James
Currently Reading: Herculubus or Red Planet
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius-james-1.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Julius J James »

The impossible is now possible due to humanity's advancement in science and technology. knowledge application has changed many things in the world. what a nice review!
Ahñ Mèiã
Currently Reading: Atomic Habits
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ah-m-i.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Ahñ Mèiã »

The cover is attracting and the story seems interesting 😍 added it to my TBR list. Thank you for the great and detailed review
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I like the detailed narration in the book but not the fact that some characters seem robotic. Thanks for the good review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Killing Machine
Bookshelf Size: 428
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by NetMassimo »

This novel has an interesting mix of elements but I have to say that I have mixed feelings due to some development choises, so I'm not sure I'd enjoy it. Regardless, thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”