Review of And Death Shall Follow Night

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Buk Nerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buk-nerd.html
Latest Review: Ribzkniks by Y M Georges

Review of And Death Shall Follow Night

Post by Buk Nerd »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "And Death Shall Follow Night" by J. Q. Persons.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Trémeur "Tray" DuChaine is an agent of the Louisiana Bureau of Investigation and rather exceptional at his job. Tray is also the Bureau’s first Vampyrian agent. Together with his human partner, Veleta Robbins, they form the first-ever Vampyrian-Unit, V-Unit for short. An initiative that was set up to desegregate humans and vampires since the Vampyrian-Human Treaty years earlier. A treaty that brought about the peaceful coexistence of humans and vampires.

This uneasy but peaceful union is threatened when Tray is accused of a string of gruesome murders that he did not commit, starting with the murder of his human girlfriend. Driven by revenge and as a fugitive on the run, Tray goes underground, determined to find answers on his own. He makes shocking discoveries involving the sinister schemes of people in power, schemes that threaten the entire coexistence of humans and vampires. On the payroll of these devious people is a vicious killer from Tray’s past, a man bent on destroying Tray and everyone in his life. Who is this killer, and why does he have it in for Tray?

And Death Shall Follow Night is a thrilling urban horror fiction novel. The author’s descriptive writing style brought the story to life straight off of the book's pages. The narrative flowed seamlessly from start to finish, with riveting plot twists and gripping suspense. The colorful cast of characters was fascinating, and the dialogue was organic. The culturally rich Louisiana backdrop made for the perfect setting for this enthralling tale.

While Tray remained the story’s protagonist, I liked how other key characters got to narrate the plot from their individual perspectives. It made for a cohesive plot structure and an immersive reading experience. I also liked how the author used alternating chapters to relay backstories and keep readers informed on how events were unfolding. It made the plot appear immeasurably fuller than its mere 233 pages, and I enjoyed every bit of it.

Another thing I liked about the book was how the author depicted vampires in his world. For instance, when a person is turned, they take on a new name, usually given to them by their maker or adoptive family. In essence, they shed the name of their human existence when they become vampires. I also liked the idea of a V-Screen, a special kind of sunscreen for vampires that allows them to endure the touch of sunlight on their skin. Apparently, the vampire virus leaves behind as many varying traits in its carriers as the DNA it attacks. Consequently, while the sun was torturing, blistering, or instantly boiling to some, it was only mildly irritating to others.

I could not find anything to dislike about this book. The editing was impeccable, and I found only one typographical error. The book contains scenes of violence and strong language. There were also one or two sexually suggestive scenes. The originality of the plot, the solid writing, and the impeccable editing and delivery have earned And Death Shall Follow Night a 4 out of 4 stars rating. I would recommend this book to fans of fantasy or horror fiction of the vampire variety.

And Death Shall Follow Night
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Literature is the most agreeable way of ignoring life." - Fernando Pessoa :techie-studyinggray:
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intriguing mix of horror and crime thriller set in Louisiana, with its unique features. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”