Review of Xanadu's Cavern

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Review of Xanadu's Cavern

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Xanadu's Cavern" by Mallory M. O'Connor.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Imagine a wonderful natural area with turquoise springs and incredible caves that hide ancient secrets. You are now in Sofke Springs Park, located in Watoolahatchee, Florida. Epiphany Mayall lives here, together with her mother, son, and precocious 9-year-old granddaughter. Epiphany is an art historian with a special gift: she sees visions and has inexplicable impressions about some situations. Her latest dreams might provide clues for finding Pierce Waldon, a famous environmentalist who disappeared in the area. She teams up with Maro Gaido, an art crime investigator; they also share a complicated relationship.

Derrick Rarian is a powerful man, the CEO of an energy company specialized in exploration, so he is not keen on protecting the environment. Actually, Rarian loves to pollute and destroy nature. His empire is in Montenegro, but he works with wicked people all around the world. It seems that Rarian, Epiphany, and Maro crossed paths in the past during an investigation regarding a stolen artifact, the Gilgamesh tablet. What secrets does Sofke Springs Park hide, and who is pulling the strings?

Xanadu's Cavern is the third part of the Epiphany Mayall, Psychic Detective series, but it works fine as a standalone book. Each volume focuses on a different case, and the writer did a splendid job explaining the connecting events from the previous novel. I am curious to read the entire series because it might help me discover more details about Epiphany.

I loved how Mallory M. O'Connor painted vivid images of nature and created authentic scenes by describing the cooked food or the cozy atmosphere. The dessert plays a significant part, and it might give you ideas for your next lunch. The story unfolds smoothly, and the reader will have no problem following the various subplots of the novel. The book is a short read of 208 pages; you might enjoy it in one sitting.

However, the author revealed the villains and their evil plans too soon, leaving little room for surprise. I was disappointed since I prefer books that offer clues and have a big reveal in the end. Also, the plot twists are scarce, but they are not missing entirely. Finally, the character development was not brilliant, at least judging from this book. However, reading the entire series might improve this aspect. It is clear that the previous novel provided more information about Epiphany and Maro; still, at the end of this book, I was hungry for more.

Xanadu's Cavern by Mallory M. O'Connor gets 3 out of 4 stars due to the slight dislikes regarding the plot and the presentation of the characters. I found some errors in the text, but they were negligible. It was an engaging thriller, and the author introduced fundamental themes like the constant battle between environmental protection and urban development. The greedy and corrupt people will always put money first at the expense of nature, art, or history.

I recommend the novel to readers attracted by the occult and unconventional methods of finding answers, such as psychic readings or visions. Environmentalists and people that enjoy learning about valuable artifacts will discover fascinating facts. If you love mystery books that mention Native American culture, do not miss this one. Romance fans will be charmed by the chemistry between Epiphany and Maro.

Xanadu's Cavern
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

Great review. Of course, what I liked most was that Rarian's business empire is in Montenegro.
NancyDrew12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancydrew12.html
Latest Review: The Tooth Fairy Makes A Mistake by Great-Aunt Rita

Post by NancyDrew12 »

This book seems great for nature lovers. As a food lover its nice to see that the meals are also described beautifully. Lovely review! :D
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

markodim721 wrote: 21 Nov 2021, 14:53 Great review. Of course, what I liked most was that Rarian's business empire is in Montenegro.
Maybe you will find some familiar settings in the book :). Thank you for your comment!
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Rashawn Carter wrote: 21 Nov 2021, 15:02 This book seems great for nature lovers. As a food lover its nice to see that the meals are also described beautifully. Lovely review! :D
Thank you for your visit!
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards

Post by Honest-reviewer »

The very first line of your review made me want to read this book as soon as possible. Also, the concept of visions seem intriguing. Thanks for your brilliant review!
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Honest-reviewer wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 07:33 The very first line of your review made me want to read this book as soon as possible. Also, the concept of visions seem intriguing. Thanks for your brilliant review!
I am glad to hear that! Thank you so much for your feedback! :tiphat:
Unosthetic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unosthetic.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Unosthetic »

Epiphany's special gift sounds great. Thanks for sharing this beautiful review.
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Unosthetic wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 02:13 Epiphany's special gift sounds great. Thanks for sharing this beautiful review.
It certainly comes with a great responsibility! Thank you for commenting!
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: WTF! The Chase by Marc Longcor

Post by zainherb »

The title of this book alone is intriguing, and so is the book cover. I think this book is going to be interesting, though I do not usually read books like this. I like the mystery part though.
Love the review.
:techie-reference:
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

zainherb wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 09:58 The title of this book alone is intriguing, and so is the book cover. I think this book is going to be interesting, though I do not usually read books like this. I like the mystery part though.
Love the review.
I hope you will enjoy it, at leas as much as I did. Thanks for visiting!
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I sampled one of the previous books in this series, and Epiphany made quite an impression on me. It also seems she and Maro make an interesting pair. I trust she was able to slow down the bad guys once again.
Thank you for your wonderfully descriptive review! :greetings-waveyellow:
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

MsH2k wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 20:31 I sampled one of the previous books in this series, and Epiphany made quite an impression on me. It also seems she and Maro make an interesting pair. I trust she was able to slow down the bad guys once again.
Thank you for your wonderfully descriptive review! :greetings-waveyellow:
I am so curious to discover her previous adventures! Thanks for visiting :)
Humera955
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-humera955.html
Latest Review: Smart Love by Vincent Fudge II
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Humera955 »

:tiphat: :tiphat: Your reveiw is quite interesting.I would love to give it a try.
Great reveiw
:tiphat:
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Humera955 wrote: 27 Nov 2021, 20:59 :tiphat: :tiphat: Your reveiw is quite interesting.I would love to give it a try.
Great reveiw
I hope you do! Thanks for commenting.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”