Review of Friendship City

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 296
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: MISNEACH, The Story of Flora MacDonald by K.L. Huntley
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Review of Friendship City

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Friendship City" by Carl H. Mitchell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Friendship City by Carl H. Mitchell is a fast-paced thriller that will captivate you until the very end. The story takes place in the year 2058. The United States of America has gone through many changes from current day. The story begins with Nick Garvey, an NYPD detective, traveling on Air Force One to New York City. His partner, Detective Tim Branson, and his Captain were both shot. His Captain was killed; however, his partner is still alive and may have some answers. This investigation leads Nick on the path to discover a network of villainous activity targeting innocent people. Nick uses his trusted contacts and works closely with the President of the United States, Lenora Allison, to track down the criminals involved.

The setting for a large part of the story is Friendship City. This city was created by joining Brownsville, Texas and Matamoros, Mexico into a self-governing unit. The citizens of both municipalities felt that they would be stronger together in the face of the villainous World Council. Although it is believed that the World Council is inactive, they wanted to prevent future attacks from this villainous group. When citizens of the United States begin showing symptoms of a man-made plague, could the World Council be behind it? Nick Garvey, President Allison, and their network of investigators race to find answers in time to save innocent lives.

There was nothing I disliked about this book. The action is fast-paced and filled with mystery. It kept me guessing until the end. What I liked most about the book was the character of Nick Garvey. He is intelligent and multi-dimensional. He is a family man, and the safety of his family is always in his thoughts as he progresses in the investigation. His daughter is in a coma in the beginning of the book. He expresses internal conflicts about when she comes out of the coma. They had a complex relationship before she became comatose. She blamed him unfairly for incidents in the past. He worried that she would hate him when she regained consciousness. Readers can empathize with his dilemma. He wants her to come out of the coma and get better. However, he doesn’t want her to continue to hate him.

The villains in the book have backstories that explain their motivation. This was an interesting dimension to the book. The villains were not flat, evil characters. Their plans were complex and devious. Much of the action of the story takes place in Houston, New York City, and Friendship City. The author describes the settings vividly for readers. Friendship City has its own ‘Bill of Rights and Obligations,’ and the author has included a copy of it in the appendix. I enjoyed reading this additional information. It added detail to the story.

I recommend this book to readers who enjoy fast-paced novels filled with action and adventure. It would also appeal to readers who enjoy a good mystery. I only saw one error in the book, so I believe it was professionally edited. For the reasons stated, I give this book a rating of four out of four stars. I really enjoyed reading it, and I look forward to future books by this author.

Friendship City
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Rishi_reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishi-reviews.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Rishi_reviews »

I always like a crime thriller novel and a book situated in the future will intrigue me even more. Thanks for the review.
Fransisca Ekezie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fransisca-ekezie.html
Latest Review: Surviving Chaos by Harold Phifer

Post by Fransisca Ekezie »

Crime triller novels have a way of making one anticipate the crime and the detective's moves. Thanks for the review.
rofiwa naftal
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by rofiwa naftal »

This book is interesting ,when you read it like you are seeing whtat is happening in reality,it make you to enter in to the scene.
Katarina Radovcic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katarina-radovcic.html
Latest Review: Scorn of Secrets by B. Truly

Post by Katarina Radovcic »

First of, I really enjoyed reading your review, it mentioned all the information we need to know about the story and you presented the book well. The book itself sounds very interesting as I love a fast-paced crime and mystery with nicely developed characters.
Apple 7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apple-7.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Apple 7 »

Very detailed review, crime and suspense filled .....thanks
Review Writer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideonwrites-review.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Review Writer »

This book promises an enjoyable read, as I'm a fan of thrillers. Especially those containing mystries. Thanks for this review
Signature of Grace.
Emmanuel Ewudor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Emmanuel Ewudor »

This book promises an enjoyable read, as I'm a fan of thrillers. Especially those containing mysteries. Thanks for this review
gbadegesin Akanni
Favorite Book: The Freedom Building
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by gbadegesin Akanni »

This book sounds amazing, I'm definitely adding it to my list Thanks for the objective review
Tarie07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarie07.html
Latest Review: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Tarie07 »

When I read the title of the book, I thought it was about friends betraying each other or something along those lines. Your review proved me wrong and I have to admit, the actual storyline is quite interesting. Thanks for the great review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intriguing thriller set in a future when it looks like interpersonal relationships as still as complicated as today. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Luchris_klaus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-klaus.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Luchris_klaus »

The book would definitely be a good read. I love the plot of the book. Nick is an interesting character. Thanks for your review.
Immaculate06
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-immaculate06.html
Latest Review: ByTheWay by Dennis Santos

Post by Immaculate06 »

Nick Garvey is an intriguing character, and I love how he is diligent with his duty. Good review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”