Review of The Darkness at Harborfront Village

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Buk Nerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buk-nerd.html
Latest Review: Ribzkniks by Y M Georges

Review of The Darkness at Harborfront Village

Post by Buk Nerd »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Darkness at Harborfront Village" by Martin H. Zuckerman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This is a story about a trailer park community called Harborfront Village. It occupies a large section of expensive waterfront property just south of Chula Vista, California. Once a tranquil place, recent disturbing events have left residents of the trailer park hiding behind closed curtains, fearful of confronting the shadowy figures that come lurking most nights. Residents appear to vanish into mysterious vehicles, never to be seen again, and are replaced with lookalikes. Those left behind are too scared to speak out, terrified that the same fate will befall them.

Unbeknown to the residents, nefarious characters are at play. Wealthy businessman Ken Hizzell has enlisted the help of a dubious real estate firm and some criminal elements to execute a land-grab scheme. Upon learning of the waterfront property and the mouth-watering opportunities that come with controlling two miles of coastline, Ken makes a play at acquiring the property by any means necessary. Nothing is off-limits, not even murder. Will Ken and his cohorts get away with their heinous crimes?

The Darkness at Harborfront Village is a thrilling mystery novel and the second book in The Darkness at series by Martin H. Zuckerman. The story begins with an insightful prologue about the history of Harborfront Village that gives the reader adequate background on the waterfront property and its residents. The author employed a descriptive writing style that made the plot easy to follow, and the dialogue flowed just as smoothly. The character development was compelling, with sufficient backstories for each key personality. As such, not only were the characters relatable, their individual motives were also easily understood. The story was narrated in the third person by multiple characters. This gave the plot a cohesive feel.

One of my favorite characters was Alex, a rollover character from the first book in the series. Alex, an immigrant from Eastern Europe, was a victim of circumstances plagued by memories of things he has had to do to survive. After his misadventures in book one, Alex’s dream of building a new life in a new place is met with some challenges when he finds himself unknowingly caught up in Ken’s scheme. I liked how Alex unwittingly threw a wrench in the wheel of Ken’s plans. Not one prone to heroics, I was impressed with how Alex wasted no time coming to the rescue of another character at a crucial moment.

As the second book in the series, the author sometimes referred to plot points in the previous book. These references are often unfamiliar to those who have not read the first book. While this might leave readers a little perplexed at times, it does not in any way ruin the overall reading experience. As someone already familiar with the first book, these references enriched the storyline immensely. It was good to be reunited with Alex, who went by a different name in the first book. I also finally discovered what became of Veronica, another intriguing rollover character from the first book.

I could not find anything to dislike about this book. Most of the editing errors I found were typographical. While they were not significant enough to detract from the quality of the story, there were enough of them to affect my final rating. With its unique premise and compelling delivery, I am satisfied to rate The Darkness at Harborfront Village 3 out of 4 stars. The book contains a few mildly graphic violent scenes and strong language but no intimate scenes. This book is the perfect read for fans of dark mystery novels with a touch of action.

The Darkness at Harborfront Village
View: on Bookshelves
"Literature is the most agreeable way of ignoring life." - Fernando Pessoa :techie-studyinggray:
Alexander C Schmoock
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-c-schmoock.html
Latest Review: Survived, evolved against all the odds by Ruth Mantile

Post by Alexander C Schmoock »

Interesting storyline. Lovers of dark mystery will love this one. Amazing review.
Luchris_klaus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-klaus.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Luchris_klaus »

The plot of the book is quite intriguing. I like the author's writing style and I would love to read the book. Thanks for your review.
Immaculate06
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-immaculate06.html
Latest Review: ByTheWay by Dennis Santos

Post by Immaculate06 »

I would love to read the book so as to know if Ken succeeded in his dubious plan. The book has a wonderful plot. Good review.
Nomcebo_0619
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nomcebo-0619.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nomcebo_0619 »

Though I'm not a fan of dark mystery, this review paints an interesting picture about the book in question. Thanks for a wonderful review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an engaging mystery with an intriguing plot and well-developed characters. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Nwadinso Okoro
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-okoro.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy (series) by Claire Youmans

Post by Nwadinso Okoro »

This book involves the dubious acts of Ken Hizzell in trying to secure the waterfront property. This plot of the book seems to be intriguing. From the review, the author did a good job in the description of things. Thanks for your review.
Patricia Eze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Patricia Eze »

The story looks interesting judging from the review. I see suspense, horror and intriguing story here.
Thank you!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”