Review of Wayward Girls

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christabel Uzoamaka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-uzoamaka.html
Latest Review: Atlantis Revealed by Riaan Booysen

Review of Wayward Girls

Post by Christabel Uzoamaka »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Wayward Girls" by Claire Matturro Penny Koepsel.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Many children receive abuse, torture, and even death in some reform schools. It was from the sordid case of the innocent children, who were severely mistreated at some wilderness schools, that Claire Matturro and Penny Koepsel got the inspiration to write Wayward Girls, a story of courage, friendship, and healing.

Jude, Camille, Makena, and Wanda Ann all find themselves at Talbot. Four of them, along with the other girls at Talbot, have very different backgrounds. But the four girls form an unlikely friendship that is not without its troubles. Jude is mistrusting; everyone thinks Camille is paranoid; Makena has some spunk, and Wanda Ann is playing a game with serious consequences. One thing the girls have in common is that they were sent to Talbot on the recommendation of psychologists. The psychologists all conclude that each of the girls is wayward and in need of transformation. But when people in glass houses throw stones, it’s only a matter of time till the illusion shatters.

When I met Jude, I was sure that I would enjoy this book. But what came after was Wayward Girls taking me on a rollercoaster of emotions. To say that I enjoyed this book would be too limiting. I cried, laughed, was horrified, and many other emotions fleeted through me while reading. The authors began by narrating the present-day circumstances of Jude and Camille. The authors then used flashbacks alternately to show what life was like for the girls during their time in Talbot. This writing style was perfect for this book. I would not have appreciated the impact of the horrors in Talbot if I did not see the girls as women who were still wounded and still healing.

Reading Wayward Girls was such a transporting experience for me. The authors fleshed out their characters with obvious skill. There were many girls at Talbot, but the authors managed to make them all stand out. The school grounds were also very real to me. Another thing that amazed me was how the authors weaved confusion and chaos into a perfect ending. Most of the chapters each narrate different scenes, with the later chapters often continuing the scene of the previous chapter. This approach forced me to connect the dots and make my deductions. And the resolution did not disappoint me. This book should be made into a movie!

The only thing I did not like was that the suspense seemed to drag on for ages! I felt frustrated that the girls kept too many secrets. But the authors arrived at a heart-wrenching climax and a resolution that made everything make sense! So I gladly award this book 4 out of 4. While this book seemed professionally edited, I still recommend another round of editing to correct the spacing errors I found. While it is perfect for readers who love psychological thrillers, readers should note that this book can be disturbing. At one point, I had my heart in my mouth and was crying because of a rape scene. But this book did what it set out to do: expose the horrible conditions some children are going through in the name of reformation. Readers who want to understand the sad situations of such children should read this book.

Wayward Girls
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Babatunde S
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-babatunde-s.html
Latest Review: Selling Change by Robert E Smith

Post by Babatunde S »

I love your style of review, made me feel like reading a copy.
Hogwarts03
Currently Reading: Shatter Me
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hogwarts03.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Hogwarts03 »

Thank you for your great review. I'm determined to read this book now.
T T 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-t-2.html
Latest Review: Three loves and other stories by Lata Gullapalli

Post by T T 2 »

A well-written review. I am intrigued by the plot and the theme. Thank you for sharing and reviewing this book.
Immaculate06
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-immaculate06.html
Latest Review: ByTheWay by Dennis Santos

Post by Immaculate06 »

The plot of the book is quite intriguing. Reforming the personality and mentality of a damaged person is not quite easy, I would love to read the book. Good review.
NancyDrew12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancydrew12.html
Latest Review: The Tooth Fairy Makes A Mistake by Great-Aunt Rita

Post by NancyDrew12 »

The topic of this book is saddening. But I'm glad the author took the time to shed light on the situation. I'm going to look into this book. Thanks for a great review! :D
Jane Ogbonnaya
Currently Reading: We are voulhire
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-ogbonnaya.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Jane Ogbonnaya »

An enlightening review. Now, I would love to read this book.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intense phsychological thriller about terrible tragedies that happened to children, perpetrated by people who were supposed to protect them and help them. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Nwadinso Okoro
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-okoro.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy (series) by Claire Youmans

Post by Nwadinso Okoro »

This book seems to be based off from a real life experience. The story involves four girls who found themselves in a similar situation. They have different conflicting personalities that affect their relationship with one another. I would love to read this book. Thanks for your review.
Ghuddie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghuddie.html
Latest Review: Better Angels Lesley Gore Dusty Springfield by Linden Lelievre

Post by Ghuddie »

Looks like we're about to go on a psychologically thrilling ride. My seatbelts are tight. Let's go.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”