Review of Lover Girl

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Review of Lover Girl

Post by Prisallen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lover Girl" by Stephen Kronwith.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Angelica Fortuna, a professional assassin, was sent by Don Vito Fortuna (her father and the head of the Philadelphia Mafia) to kill Sammy Vivino (a former hitman for the Russo Mafia). Don Fortuna didn’t inform Angelica of the reason for the hit; however, she was secretly delivered a letter from her newly deceased mother just before leaving for the assignment. The letter told her Sammy Vivino was her biological father, and her mother had been in love with him. Now, Angelica is torn between carrying out the assassination or getting to know her real father. She decides to follow her heart and the wishes of her mother and spares Sammy his life, knowing that Don Fortuna will now put a contract out on both of them. Assassins will be sent, one after the other, until one is successful and manages to execute them.

Meantime, a little girl and her nanny have been kidnapped for ransom. Angelica and Sammy hear about it from a friend of Sammy’s and decide to help recover the two before they are murdered. Will they manage to survive while trying to rescue the captives and evade the assassin’s attempt on their own lives?

Lover Girl by Stephen Kronwith, M.D., is a crime drama/thriller with a hearty dose of romance mixed in. This is the second book in the Lover Boy series. However, because the author has incorporated information about the previous story, it can be read as a standalone novel. Although most of the questions are answered by the end of the book, there are enough left open to make room for a sequel. The story jumps right into the action at the beginning with Angelica being sent to assassinate Sammy. Then, there is a slight lull as we get to know the players, followed by the action and suspense picking up, making it difficult to set the novel down. Parts of the tale are narrated from the first-person point of view, from Angelica’s perspective. The rest is narrated from the third-person point of view, from multiple perspectives. I thoroughly enjoyed reading Angelica’s account of what was occurring, mainly because her sense of humor compelled me to laugh from time to time.

The importance of family and friends is an underlying theme in the story. Angelica never knew affection from the man she thought was her father, and her only brother died young. Her sole source of love came from her mother, and she had just succumbed to cancer. Don Fortuna warned her against a romantic involvement, and because of her lifestyle, Angelica acquired no friends. Consequently, she craved love and friendship in her life.

I had a couple of minor issues with the book. First, the word “fiend” was used much too often for my taste. Second, a lot of crying and hugging were seen from people who were supposed to be tough (even present and past mafia members). I considered this a little strange. However, as previously stated, they are minor issues that could merely represent my personal preference; hence, they are not worth the removal of a star.

Because I found the book captivating and the minor issues above didn’t detract from that, it achieves a rating of four out of four stars. Readers who appreciate crime dramas/thrillers with a dash of romance and humor will enjoy this novel. A couple of explicit and steamy sex scenes, multiple profanities, and violence in the story make this appropriate only for an adult audience.

Lover Girl
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
José Cortez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jos-cortez.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Golden Door (Audiobook Version) by Ali Master

Post by José Cortez »

Angelica seems like an interesting character. I'm curious to read the book. Thank you.
Vivian Stones
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-stones.html
Latest Review: The Silicon Divide by Danielle Nowell

Post by Vivian Stones »

I love the hidden theme of the novel, how it shows the importance of family and friends. Amazing review.
Fareed Regal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fareed-regal.html
Latest Review: In Plain Sight by Susan Mallett

Post by Fareed Regal »

Very insightful and great review. I am curious to know how everything pans out in the book so will have to put it on my to-read list.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Pencrafter wrote: 06 Jan 2022, 00:59 Angelica seems like an interesting character. I'm curious to read the book. Thank you.
She is definitely a strong female protagonist. I hope you get a chance to read it!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Fine Brand wrote: 06 Jan 2022, 05:04 I love the hidden theme of the novel, how it shows the importance of family and friends. Amazing review.
Yes, one doesn't expect that to be a theme in a book in which the mafia is a big part. I appreciated it. Thanks for reading my review!
Ghuddie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghuddie.html
Latest Review: Better Angels Lesley Gore Dusty Springfield by Linden Lelievre

Post by Ghuddie »

Wow, what an interesting plot the story has. I'd check this book out once I find time between reviews. I really hope Angelica and Sammy didn't end up assasinated. Great review.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Fareed Regal wrote: 06 Jan 2022, 08:39 Very insightful and great review. I am curious to know how everything pans out in the book so will have to put it on my to-read list.
Thanks. I think you will enjoy it!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Ghuddie wrote: 06 Jan 2022, 11:17 Wow, what an interesting plot the story has. I'd check this book out once I find time between reviews. I really hope Angelica and Sammy didn't end up assasinated. Great review.
I hope you get to read it as I don't think you will regret it. Thanks for stopping by!
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Fortuna is quite a remarkable surname for the main character! :) I would love to check this one out. Thank you very much for this wonderful review!
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards

Post by Honest-reviewer »

Those story seems intriguing. I am eager to know what will be Angelica’s next move. Thanks for your brilliant review!
T T 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-t-2.html
Latest Review: Three loves and other stories by Lata Gullapalli

Post by T T 2 »

I am intrigued by the storyline. It seems like the characters are really well written giving depth to the plot. Will surely add this to my reading list. Thank you for the review.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Ellylion wrote: 07 Jan 2022, 05:46 Fortuna is quite a remarkable surname for the main character! :) I would love to check this one out. Thank you very much for this wonderful review!
I believe you will enjoy it if you get a chance to read it. Thanks for stopping by!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Honest-reviewer wrote: 07 Jan 2022, 05:55 Those story seems intriguing. I am eager to know what will be Angelica’s next move. Thanks for your brilliant review!
Then you will need to read it to find out! :lol: Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Mulisa Ramuada
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mulisa Ramuada »

Angelica seems like interesting girl because he do friendly she doesn't judge any one

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”