Review of The translator

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Review of The translator

Post by shravsi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The translator" by adriano belcastro.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Theme parks are a synonym of happiness for young boys—but this was not the case for the twin brothers, Alex and Matt. Not for the past ten years. A catastrophic incident that occurred in the Thrill Zone Theme Park changed the trajectory of the brothers’ lives forever, especially Alex’s. After the ‘incident,’ Alex lived in a constant state of paranoia. His efforts to return to normalcy always went unsuccessful.

Alex was in such a terrible state when history tried to repeat itself. When Matt was kidnapped by some ruthless people, Alex knew his worst fears had come true. He also knew he had to overcome his crippling fears and fight for his brother. Even though there were many people like Captain Reed, professor Browmich, Officer Wellbeck, and OSCAR (a new security agency more powerful than the FBI, NSA, and CIA) around him, he couldn’t trust anyone. Friends could become foes and vice versa in a split second. So, Alex knew he needed to fight alone to save his brother. Moreover, only he could get hold of the ransom the kidnappers were demanding. Can Alex save his brother? Or will history repeat itself? Read The Translator by Adriano J Belcastro to see how the story turns out.

I will start with the positives before mentioning the negatives. First, the protagonist is an imperfect hero. I wholeheartedly appreciate the author for portraying Alex realistically. It would have been strange to see a twenty-something-year-old win all his battles and act perfectly in the face of life-threatening situations. Second, the storyline is intriguing, and there is a delicate balance between descriptions and dialogues. Third, most of the characters are double-edged; so, the readers will always be in a state of suspense because the story could swing in any direction. Fourth, there are enough twists and turns to keep the reader enthralled. Fifth, although the story’s pace is slow at the beginning, the story starts with an inciting incident. So, it will draw the readers into the story from the first scene itself.

Coming to the negatives, where do I even begin? The story had numerous plot holes. The surveillance capability of OSCAR is described at length within the story. Then how come Alex could bypass it with his amateurish ideas? What is the use of an intelligence agency when no one other than Alex knows that Matt is kidnapped? How come nobody had any suspicion? Alex’s entry into OSCAR, his stunt as a delivery person… everything was absurd. The incident where Wellbeck found the locker was entirely forgotten. A highly trained intelligence agent would never leave things half-done, especially things which arouse suspicion. Even the dog tags Alex carried had a more consequential than the titular character. And most importantly, the spelling errors were numerous. Browmich, a supporting character, is addressed as Bromwich a few times. To summarize, this book started with a great idea but failed in its execution. The lack of professional editing was obvious. Any editor would have easily picked up the more than ten spelling errors and the discrepancies within the story.

Since the negatives outweigh the positives, I have to rate this book two out of four stars. This is hard because I actually enjoyed the story, and I believe that this book has a great potential to turn into a series. If the above issues are sorted, I will gladly change my rating. The spelling errors and plot holes might be off-putting to some readers. If you can ignore that, then I will recommend this book to any reader who loves action thrillers and high-intensity dramas.

The translator
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Chandre Present
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Chandre Present »

It is so wonderful how language can make people understand one another by using translator because they really help alot .It is s very interesting book to read.
OTrain D
Currently Reading: My Living Will
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-otrain-d.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by OTrain D »

I love books that are balanced when it comes to narration and dialogue. This includes a reader, and doesn't feel left out. I love how you started by writing you loved about the book, and wrapping with what you didn't quite like. It was neat. Great job
Kidd Essence
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kidd-essence.html
Latest Review: Fast-Starting A Career of Consequence by Fred Sievert

Post by Kidd Essence »

Great review and excellent summary! I feel that your rating was very much justified despite the enthralling plotline of the story. Overall, spectacular review.
Nwadinso Okoro
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-okoro.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy (series) by Claire Youmans

Post by Nwadinso Okoro »

It is not quite easy to trust the people that exist around you when you live a constant life of paranoia. This book delves into Alex's ordeals in trying to save his brother, Mark. I would love to read this book. Thanks for your review.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

This really sounds like something that I would like. Alex’s journey must be difficult. I’m not sure about the errors mentioned, but I don’t think they would disturb my reading.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a novel based on some interesting ideas let down by its development. A professional editor might help the author in properly developing the story and with proofreading. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Janelydia Mwangi
Currently Reading: Bugs, Weeds, and Water
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelydia-mwangi.html
Latest Review: Surviving Life As An Actor by Jerry a. Greenberg
Reading Device: Android

Post by Janelydia Mwangi »

Great work to Adriano! Creating Alex who represents the youth who are eager to enter the job market with their weak and strong character traits is amazing. This makes the reader relate to our contemporary society as hAlex learns through failures and success and never gives up. The effects of family relationship and responsibilities is portrayed as Alex tries to assist his brother Mark. Friends and foes also come in handy for Alex to grow.
Roca-+420
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Roca-+420 »

Sorry about the spelling errors and plot horrors but at least you enjoyed the book,I must read it
Elendu Ekechukwu
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-ekechukwu.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Elendu Ekechukwu »

I would have love to read this book. But those errors is a big turn off for me

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”