Review of The Darkness at Delancey Street

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3049
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Duck Blinds I Have Known by Donny McElvoy

Review of The Darkness at Delancey Street

Post by Kibet Hillary »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Darkness at Delancey Street" by Martin H. Zuckerman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There is a known saying in Swahili that the war between two grasshoppers is the crow’s happiness. This idea might form one of the premises of The Darkness at Delancey Street, a crime thriller by Martin H. Zuckerman. Following the end of the Second World War, a Jewish family goes back to Belarus after seeking refuge from Hitler in Sweden. The abuse of their mother causes Yankel Tischman and his brother Shimon to avenge this injustice perpetrated by a formidable foe; subsequently, they have to flee again. In the new world, life takes a different trajectory.

The story is an intriguing entanglement of several puzzles that need to be solved. It is a brilliant weaving of crime with other themes like family and love. Fortunately, the author straightforwardly presents each; you will certainly not be confused. The situation becomes clear as the story progresses. In the fullness of time, what had been obscure previously becomes clearer. In the end, you have a satisfying ending, though a few questions remain, which make you try to piece some scenes together. However, the central conflict is solved impressively.

Some characters settled on crime, while circumstances forced others. Eventually, none of them chooses the consequences of their decisions. Andy Hizzell feels it is too much, but getting out carries far-reaching implications. The internal turmoil represents what some characters have to fight with as they battle with their consciences. Through the ongoing mental dilemma, the author makes them realistic and relatable.

I like the factor that the author successfully hides the motives and affiliations of some players, disclosing them at the right time. The Agency, a powerful secret organization, advances its only agenda unbeknownst to anyone. Its agents, George, Mary, and Murray, are on deployment, leaving no trace behind. In the fullness of time, the players involved appear in the limelight. Their interests are made known. Who remains standing, in the end, requires strategy, immense power, and invisibility.

There was too much telling, sort of reporting, in the beginning, and I did not enjoy reading these parts, as the events and characters felt distant and lacked vivacity. I could not stop thinking that the narration felt like an indirect reporting of events. The dialogues were sparse and very brief, making the narration uninteresting. Luckily, this changed towards the middle of the book, and I was immersed in the story henceforth. I did not have to struggle, for the story had taken another turn where the preceding humdrum was gone.

I rate the book three out of four because of the monotony in the first chapters and a couple of minor errors that I encountered. It will appeal to readers of crime thrillers aged sixteen and above. The cuss words in the book will not detract anyone from enjoying the story, as they were sparingly employed.

The Darkness at Delancey Street
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
José Cortez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jos-cortez.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Golden Door (Audiobook Version) by Ali Master

Post by José Cortez »

Weaving stories of crime into love and family must have taken a great skill. Thank you for recommending.
Ghuddie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghuddie.html
Latest Review: Better Angels Lesley Gore Dusty Springfield by Linden Lelievre

Post by Ghuddie »

Crime thrillers always present an interesting read. I'd love to check this out. Great review.
Nwadinso Okoro
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-okoro.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy (series) by Claire Youmans

Post by Nwadinso Okoro »

This book tells the story of the feud that existed between two families. Members of families can go to any length to prove their stand on a particular matter. I would love to read this book to know how the feud ended. Thanks for your review.
Asiaa Szn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asiaa-szn.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Asiaa Szn »

Crime and romance combo? Yes. Love to see it. Nice work
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a crime thriller that uses some historical events to develop its plot and might be interesting despite the problem you mentioned about the narration. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
tantao520
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by tantao520 »

I think This seems like a crime thriller that uses some historical events to develop its plot and might be interesting despite the problem you mentioned about the narration.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”