Review of Mister Manners

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Roy Nick
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Review of Mister Manners

Post by Roy Nick »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mister Manners" by J.C. Bruce.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Florida vigilante named Mister Manners has been raiding anyone he terms as discourteous. He goes after those who make noise in theaters, receive phone calls in silent zones, those who avoid using doggie bags, others who do not utilize turn signals, etc. News of him attracts headlines when he attacks a wealthy author’s Lexus sedan.

Now, Alexander Strange is a news reporter who goes after, as his name suggests, strange and daring reports. With these uneventful happenings in Florida, Strange is hell-bent on uncovering the mysterious identity of Mister Manners. Through his blogs, Alexander consistently invites the vigilante to chat with him to discover the motivation behind his doings and more. Who’s this Mister Manners? Why did he choose to be a discourtesy punisher?

The humor in the story blew my brains off. Alexander has plastic toys all over his home. He is hilarious when he talks about them, so I could not help but laugh out loud. I enjoyed how the author employed vulgarity in the tale. At one point, wealthy Kitty Karlucci finds an upside-down cart on the roof of her sleek, expensive Lexus sedan. She is furious, so she uses profanity to demand the police to expose the offender who did such an unfathomable deed. There’s much more of the characters’ selection of words that’ll keep your mouth smiling.

I did not like it when the book mentioned wearing masks and social distancing. It is okay to do so, but I mean, I wanted to be fully immersed in a world of crime, mystery, and hunting down Mister Manners. Instead, when the author mentioned masks and breaking social distancing rules, I was brought back to the contemporary world with an ongoing pandemic.

The first few pages had me underestimating the spellbinding nature of the story. But phew! Thankfully, I am an avid reader, so I pursued on. The book dazzled me with the characters’ humor, the daring personality of Alexander, engaging dialogues, among others. The strange doings of Mister Manners and a knotty plot of disclosing his identity had me glued on the book until I found answers to my quizzes. I award Mister Manners by J.C. Bruce 4 out of 4 stars. Besides, we have an exceptionally well-edited book, as there are no flaws.

When the self-appointed vigilante attacked the nosy, loquacious Kitty Karlucci, he didn’t think she would remain silent after such a heinous act, did he? I recommend it to audiences who enjoy books with plots of mystery, crime, journalism, and drama— save for kids because of the profanity and adult insinuations.

Mister Manners
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Mariam K 7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariam-k-7.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Mariam K 7 »

Quite a detailed review! It is good that you are talking about both the positive and the negative part, from your point of view. However, wearing masks and bringing into today’s life I find interesting. Thanks for the wonderful review!
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I do like crime novels. I wish to know how Strange deals with Mister Manners’ deeds. The profanity concerns me, though. Thanks for the review.
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

There definitely should be a mister manners in real world. We really need him. Great review
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Firstly, I find this title amusing. It's creative, actually. Good luck to Alexander on revealing the identity of Mister Manners.
Amenrodion
Currently Reading: Fates Sweet Passion
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amenrodion.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Amenrodion »

This book looks like a really interesting read
Duha Khan
Currently Reading: Rogue Justice
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Duha Khan »

Hilarious! Mr. Strange and Mr. Manners. What a combo! To be honest, I agree that someone should do something about rule-breakers, but maybe not in the same way as Mr. Manners. So just to get this straight, Mister Manners is a crime and a comedy?
Adaeze Joan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adaeze-joan.html
Latest Review: Of Roses & Storms by Sara Omar

Post by Adaeze Joan »

First of all, the author did well with the book title, it is quite captivating. The names the author gave his characters where quite unique. Thanks for your awesome review. I could really use a good crime and mystery thriller book like this one.
Apple 7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apple-7.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Apple 7 »

The social distancing and the masks very well relate to the current state of the world but Mr manners in essence seems to be an excessively strict law enforcer who takes matters into his own hands while giving no reference to the law....quite intriguing and interesting...thanks for the review
Bibi Farheen K
Currently Reading: Lore of Light Volume 1
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bibi-farheen-k.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Bibi Farheen K »

From your review, I feel like this book will hit home with respect to the number of people beign discorteous. I look forward to read it. I hope to get some vicarious satisfaction when he punishes those inconsiderate people!
Fareed Regal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fareed-regal.html
Latest Review: In Plain Sight by Susan Mallett

Post by Fareed Regal »

This sounds like it will be quite an enjoyable read. I think the author was having a lot of fun while writing the book as most of it seems to be tongue in cheek. Great review!
Nwadinso Okoro
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-okoro.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy (series) by Claire Youmans

Post by Nwadinso Okoro »

I think I like this book cover design. This book involves the actions of a vigilante. Mister Manners is quite simple in his job, he raids people that he suspects. I find the book to be humorous, and I would love to read it. Good review.
Asiaa Szn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asiaa-szn.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Asiaa Szn »

I love the humor this book has portrayed. Definitely reading this
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intriguing mystery full of drama and humor at the same time and a lot more. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”