Review of The Soviet Comeback

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Review of The Soviet Comeback

Post by Howlan »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Soviet Comeback" by Jamie Smith.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith is an action spy-thriller. It focuses on Nikita Alochka who, for the sake of protecting his family, joins the KGB and becomes their best fresh agent. He is dubbed as the “Black Russian” due to his skin color and is sent to the United States as a potential spy. The story follows Nikita as he is thrust upon the center stage of the Cold War.

I like action thrillers in general and so, I enjoyed this book thoroughly. The main attraction of this book has to be the characterization of the main character Nikita. Despite being trained as a highly-skilled KGB agent, he is not devoid of feelings. His life goes through ups and downs and the author spends wondrous skills in presenting that beautifully. Apart from Nikita through, there are some other great characters also. Especially Colonel Klitchkov is someone who is depicted magnificently.

Apart from the characters, the story is also blessed with a thrilling plot. The author has put together a great plot that complements the character of Nikita. The twists and turns are few but impactful. I loved the historical setting in the midst of the Cold War. Apart from that, the narrative was well-paced. The story’s decent pace helped us in understanding the main character more and it helped flesh out the other characters as well. The action scenes are also particularly well-executed and fit in with the overall theme.

Coming to the disappointments, I don't think there are any. The book is professionally edited as I have found only a single typo while proofreading this book. There is profanity and a particularly graphic scene, so I would advise underage readers and anyone not comfortable with violence not to read this book. The ending is good but the story is unfinished, so it makes room for a sequel.

Overall, I feel that I have no complaints about this book. I found the story well written and the characters amazing. There are a lot of highs about this book and the lows include personal nitpicks such as the cliffhanger at the end. This is because I do not enjoy cliffhangers that much. However, the ending did not feel rushed at all. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed reading this book and found nothing that put me off. I would like to recommend this book to all readers who love reading spy-thrillers, especially those revolving around the cold war.

The Soviet Comeback
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I think that I would enjoy this book. I like thrillers and violence is OK with me as long as there is a minimum of gore. Nikita sounds like a man who can get things done whether in the Soviet Union or here.
Sharon Christanto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon-christanto.html
Latest Review: The path from backpack to briefcase 2nd. idition by R. William Holland, PhD
Reading Device: B09N3YBXCN

Post by Sharon Christanto »

Seems like a fantastic book! I'm always fond of books set during specific period in history. I'm gonna add it to my reading list
Asiaa Szn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asiaa-szn.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Asiaa Szn »

I don't quite understand the story but it might be clearer if I read the book. Nice review
Amiczy Heaven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amiczy-heaven.html
Latest Review: Living the Beatitudes by Gary L. Engstrom

Post by Amiczy Heaven »

Thanks for the review. Sounds interesting and I wish I could read it, but you said it contains graphic scenes and I don’t think I can stand that.
Farouje Hanoune
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Farouje Hanoune »

I am a big fan of the historical books and this one is an example in shading some light on one of the historicql period of time. I'm gonna read it to finish it.
Vivian Stones
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-stones.html
Latest Review: The Silicon Divide by Danielle Nowell

Post by Vivian Stones »

I love book with we'll developed character and I enjoy historical books too. Great review.
Ghuddie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghuddie.html
Latest Review: Better Angels Lesley Gore Dusty Springfield by Linden Lelievre

Post by Ghuddie »

Intriguing storyline. Lovers of spy thrillers will definitely enjoy this one. Great review.
QualityAndQuantity
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qualityandquantity.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by QualityAndQuantity »

The plot of the book seems pretty interesting to me and as I have read some work about Russia and kgb I think I'll like this one as well. Wonderful review.
Nwadinso Okoro
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-okoro.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy (series) by Claire Youmans

Post by Nwadinso Okoro »

The plot of the book is quite simple but interesting. It delves into the life of Nikita, an agent under the authority of the KGB. this wonderful piece narrates his ordeals as a spy in the united states'. I would love to read the book. Thanks for your review.
Nomcebo_0619
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nomcebo-0619.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nomcebo_0619 »

The author did an excellent job with this book. Nikita was such a well curved character who fits perfectly as the main character for this book. As for the cliffhanger part, I can perfectly say that the author understood the assignment.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Seems like a really great book. Glad the author didn't sacrifice a thrilling plot for sufficient character development. Thank you for your review.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

The very idea of ​​Soviet comeback and Black Russian probably attracts the attention of every reader. Thanks for the good review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

A spy story set during the Cold War has become a bit unusual and this one seems well-constructed and engaging. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”