Review of Her Terrible Mistake

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Faithy_Goody_Star
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithy-star.html
Latest Review: Autism: One Grandparent's Roadmap by Geoffrey Robinson

Review of Her Terrible Mistake

Post by Faithy_Goody_Star »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Her Terrible Mistake" by Mike Kerr.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In describing Her Terrible Mistake by Mike Kerr in a nutshell, I’d say it highlights the life, formation, and growth of Garland Hopkins.

Following the unexciting and unsatisfactory stories Garland Hopkins reported for the Chicago Tribune, he was led to write about something different—the Herrin Massacre. However, while covering the story, he stepped on the toes of his superior. One may wonder if this is the end of Hopkin’s career. However, a more adventurous and frightening experience begins after Hopkins meets Esther Allen, a reporter at Hot Jazz on The Stroll. Their connection led to conversations and the spilling of important information. Unknown to him, she was out to expunge information to fulfill her ulterior motives. This led to multiple events in their lives, resulting in Garland’s determination to take down a criminal empire. How did he get to this point?

Firstly, I would like to state that Her Terrible Mistake was a very engaging read. I had no urge to rush through the book, as I was enthusiastic about it and looked forward to the next time I would read it every time I dropped it. The choice of words and characterization were superb. Some books are too difficult to read or too basic, especially when they are not for children. However, this book is neither of the aforementioned. The author employed the perfect words and descriptions. To be clear, what I loved most about this book was its characterization. Explaining why this is so may force me to spill lots of information, which could pass off as spoilers. However, in a nutshell, I loved that there were different shades of each character. For instance, today a character is simple, and the next day the same character seems extraordinary. This reflected normal human behaviour and changes that are bound to occur based on the circumstances.

It is not your regular story; its storyline is full of suspense and heightens the tension of the reader. At some points, my heart was beating fast, pending the occurrence of some events. Indeed, this book will make you feel a lot of things, and I will allow you to unravel them yourself. The storyline is unique. However, some events and characters were based on historical events. For instance, the notorious Genna brothers of Sicily were notable characters. Some of the turns of events were surprising. I noticed that some occurrences I anticipated did not turn out as I wanted them to. But this is part of every reading experience, right?

Now, it is important to note that I found a few errors in the book, but somehow, they did not affect my reading experience too much. Regardless, I believe this book was professionally edited. This earns this book the perfect rating it deserves. Therefore, I am rating it 4 out of 4 stars. Apart from the errors, I found nothing negative about this book.

With regard to those that should read this book, I’d say that all crime and thriller lovers will find this book exceptional. Therefore, I recommend it to them.

Her Terrible Mistake
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Picking the right writing style for your audience is necessary; I'm glad author did that. Thank you for your review.
Damilola20
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damilola20.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Higher Ground by Thomas A. Brigger

Post by Damilola20 »

This review is well crafted. I love suspense-filled books. Since the book is captivating, is definitely read it.
Amiczy Heaven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amiczy-heaven.html
Latest Review: Living the Beatitudes by Gary L. Engstrom

Post by Amiczy Heaven »

Esther sounds ambitious, but I think Garland is also ambitious. A book I have to read.
Mia53_D
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mia53_D »

Having read the book this review is spot on !
I recommend the Author starts his next novel. Looking forward.
👍👍👍👍
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Everyone seems to want something that they can’t have. Garland wants to be remembered for writing a great piece. I hope he gets what he needs.
Jydel
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Currently Reading: Diary of a wimpy kid
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jydel.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Jydel »

Am trying to think about what can happen when two reporters are entangled and one has an ulterior motive. Her Terrible Mistake sounds quite engaging.
Janelydia Mwangi
Currently Reading: Bugs, Weeds, and Water
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelydia-mwangi.html
Latest Review: Surviving Life As An Actor by Jerry a. Greenberg
Reading Device: Android

Post by Janelydia Mwangi »

Media reporters especially newspaper reporters create a story interesting and heighten actions where investigation is required. This review heightens the urge to read.
Korie Ifeoma Chisomaga
Favorite Book: How to Survive the Coming Retirement Storm
Currently Reading: TBD August 2022 Book of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-korie-ifeoma-chisomaga.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Korie Ifeoma Chisomaga »

Her terrible mistake...awesome. I find it intriguing enough. And your review affirms it. Thank you.
Roca-+420
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Roca-+420 »

Sorry for the little errors that occurred but it's nice u enjoyed the book,your review is clearly stated good job
Mbenma Esther 080
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbenma-esther-080.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mbenma Esther 080 »

Can't get tired of reading crime thrillers. Thanks for the review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a fascinating crime thriller that is built very well also including some historical facts. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”