Review of The Wrong'un

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Review of The Wrong'un

Post by Aisha Yakub »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Wrong'un" by Catherine Evans.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

George and Edie were a happy couple with six children. They adopted another child, Paddy, adding to the number of the family. Everything changed when Paddy came to them. It started with the death of their fourth child, Timmy, who everyone believed had suffered a cot death. However, there seemed to be a mystery surrounding his death, which Edith knew about and buried away. As years passed, each child grew old enough to find his or her way into the world, and their family began to tear apart.

Wrong'un by Catherine Evans is an enjoyable fiction, and I enjoyed reading each page of this book. The author didn't fail to hook my attention with the twists and the suspense that unfolded as the plot developed. This book didn't only center on issues directly affecting marriage but also on parenting, divorce, favoritism amongst children, bullying, death, grief, suicide, murder, betrayal, and surrogacy. Reading about these issues was insightful. Eddie had so much loved and favored her adopted son, Paddy, that she was willing to do anything for him. IVF was another interesting concept that the author wrote about, which most people find odd in societies. It was refreshing that the author included this concept in a book about families.

In my opinion, Catherine Evans properly delivered this book's messages, which were marriage, parenting, and family. Each chapter had a lesson to be learned. Favoritism amongst children does more harm than good. Keeping secrets from one's partner could create a wall between them. Every partner or person deserves to know the truth. Throwing a blind eye to any child's bad behavior could create more room for the development of the child's bad behavior. I adored the bond that the siblings shared; they had protected and supported themselves each time. Again, I found the inclusion of a family tree helpful, as they were many characters in this book. The family tree also gave me an idea of what to expect from this book before I started reading it.

At some point, the number of characters in this book was overwhelming. Thankfully, I had a family tree to refer to, but I found this a bit inconvenient. The arrangement of the chapters was a bit confusing. For example, Patrick Newell hiring an assassin to kill Beatrix's husband in a chapter where Beatrix was still a toddler was confusing. Writing about the present, past, and future of a character in the same chapter of the story reduced the clarity of the storyline. This book was professionally edited, as I barely encountered errors. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I'm knocking off a star because of the negative aspects I encountered.

I recommend this book to parents, adults, and teenagers. This book may not be suitable for readers that cannot stand tragic content. I believe parents could learn valuable lessons from this book.

The Wrong'un
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Elenimo Chembe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elenimo-chembe.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Elenimo Chembe »

I like the themes expressed in this book. Bullying and betrayal are topics that deserve to be discussed.
Judy46
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy46.html
Latest Review: The First Time Father by Alfie Thomas

Post by Judy46 »

No mother should ever put one child above the other in a family. It does not always end well. I think I would like to read this book. Great review.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Stories of adoption often go the other way with biological children being preferred over those who are adopted. I agree with the reviewer and a previous commenter that this preference can cause real problems.
Elenimo Chembe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elenimo-chembe.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Elenimo Chembe »

Dealing with themes such as divorce, favouritism amongst children, bullying, death, grief, suicide, murder, betrayal, and surrogacy makes this book extremely educative. I love the way the review is straightforward. Thanks for the review.
Stizzy Monday
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stizzy-monday.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Stizzy Monday »

You've written a wonderful review with a good summary! I'd like to read this book to learn about the tragic accident and the powers behind it. Can't wait to read this book. Thank you for the review.
Fanny Lebura Ueh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fanny-lebura-ueh.html
Latest Review: Clueless & Headstrong by Eyvonne Black

Post by Fanny Lebura Ueh »

I totally enjoyed reading your review. This review has piqued my interest, and I look forward to reading this book and finding out more details for myself. Thank you for the honest feedback.
Latest
Ndagire Hassifah1
Favorite Book: Hemingway’s daughter
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndagire-hassifah1.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Post by Ndagire Hassifah1 »

I totally liked how you summarized the book. You wrote a wonderful review that left me curious about what caused Timmy's death. I would like to read this book to know more about the tragedy incident the family experienced.
Chinenye Achilike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinenye-achilike.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
2024 Reading Goal: 10
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Chinenye Achilike »

I wonder what caused the death of Timmy, how devastating it would have been for the family.
Collins Kiprono 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-collins-kiprono-4.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Collins Kiprono 4 »

The Wrong'un by Catherine Evans is a story that can't be put down, even if you want to. I have to admit that the cover and title of this book were the first things that piqued my interest. It's hard for me to conceive a narrative like this when I look at the cover and title. The author's writing style immediately piqued my interest. As soon as I finish the story, I will be able to go over everything that has to be discussed. First, the story. At first, the narrative seemed like any other, but as I continued to read, the plot became better and better. Evans' use of language and word in her situations is flawless. I was immersed in the story the entire time I was reading it. Not only as a bystander, but also as an active participant in the story.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a novel that contains interesting elements and addressess important issues but at the same time seems overcomplex under some points of view. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”