Review of Game 7

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Review of Game 7

Post by Kennedy NC »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Game 7" by Tony Dismuke.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Game 7 by Tony Dismuke follows the inspiring story of Charles Tatum, who is raised from humble beginnings. His father discovers his talent in basketball and immediately takes steps to ensure that his son succeeds where he could not. Charles’ skills help him outshine his peers and bring him national recognition. But he also gains rivals and enemies on his way to fame.

Years later, Charles is at the height of his career, and a serial killer is terrorizing the citizens of Chicago and Houston. Expert FBI Agent Wells is tasked with solving the case with a rookie partner, Stone. Together, they launch the investigation, and Wells teaches his trainee everything he knows along the way. The agents soon discover evidence that concludes the killer has a massive grudge. Who will be the next victim? And how will Charles handle this personal vendetta before it reaches his doorstep and possibly puts an end to his successful career? Find out in this fast-paced thriller.

I discovered some positive aspects of this book. A lot of research and expertise were employed while writing the book because of the frequent use of accurate sports terms. Though the killer’s identity is revealed very early in the book, the story takes a different approach by focusing on the events surrounding the murders instead of the usual unknown killer factor used in most books. The book is crafted in a peculiar manner, which ensures that previous knowledge of basketball is not necessary to enjoy and understand the plot. The grammar used is also simple and easy to comprehend.

The book creates a lively atmosphere with its relatable characters. Wells has a sarcastic personality and is determined to help others, despite his personal burden of loss. Charles discards humility and embraces pride when he lets the media affect him negatively. Stone is curious and eager to learn from the best. These characters have their personal baggage to sort through, and this goes a long way to make the story more interesting. These elements create an excellent background for the mystery. I commend the author for successfully constructing an emotional rollercoaster ride filled with suspense, plot twists, and close calls.

Despite these good qualities, I also discovered a negative aspect of this book. There were a lot of errors, including missing punctuation and incomplete sentences. This is proof that the book was not professionally edited. It also caused some confusion while I was reading. As a result of this particular reason listed above, I rate this book three out of four stars. It did not get a lower rating because I appreciated the author’s manner of building up anticipation, which left me guessing different outcomes of the story. I recommend this book to any lover of crime fiction and mystery thrillers. Also, I recommend it to anyone with an interest in the basketball sport.

Game 7
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Zwelihle_Myeni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zwelihle-myeni.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Zwelihle_Myeni »

"Which left me guessing different outcomes of the story," I'm here for the cliffhanger. I would like to know read this book someday and get to learn how exactly did he go about minimizing the threats surrounding his success. Thanks for taking your time and share your views with us.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I don’t really like basketball so if that was all the book was about I wouldn’t bother. Having experience with it while my son was in high school, I can say that fierce competition does not just exist when you get to the professional level. I am interested because of that.
Azubike Richard
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azubike-richard.html
Latest Review: Love and Resistance by Marie J. Mond

Post by Azubike Richard »

Thank you for your review but I would not read the book. Nevertheless, congratulations on your nice review
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a novel with great potential that was hindered by the lack of adequate editing. I understand the frustration of reading a book full of errors. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”