Review of The Rx for Murder

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nwankwo GC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwankwo-gc.html
Latest Review: The Chosen by Brandy Marks

Review of The Rx for Murder

Post by Nwankwo GC »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Rx for Murder" by Sue Hinkin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Rx for Murder by Sue Hinkin centers on the murder of Dave Pine, a long-time reporter with the Los Angeles Daily. Bea receives late Pine's files about the production of generic drugs imported from Asia and masterminded by Brandon Doyle, former LA District Attorney now running for Senate. Knowing fully well that Doyle will do anything to protect himself even if it means putting his daughter’s life in danger, Bea and her friend Lucy who is a photographer alongside detective Dave Pete and TV news rookies, go undercover to stop the production of these drugs before it claims more lives. This mission leads them to make fresh discoveries about the murder of Dave Pine.

One thing I most definitely loved about this book was the fact that it upheld women as competent. I have watched a lot of crime series, and over time I believed that only men could do the job of crime detection perfectly because I hardly saw women involved in cases of murder. This book most definitely proved me wrong. Despite being just a journalist and a photographer, Bea and Lucy did most of the work in trying to uncover the murderer of Dave Pine. We don’t see that every day and I must say that it was so refreshing to read about those female characters. The suspense in this book is another thing worth giving the author credit for. When you think you've figured the story out, the author releases new jaw-dropping twists that will leave you stunned. I also loved how detailed the author was in describing the events in this book. It sure allowed for better imagery in the mind of the reader.

Moving to the educational aspect of this book, I gained a lot of new knowledge on the production of fake drugs. I never really believed it was a real phenomenon, but with the knowledge from this book, I sure will be more careful with the drugs I purchase.

There was nothing I disliked about this book. The book was worth every second I invested in reading it. It had educational and entertainment value. The level of suspense the author infused into the storyline made it a top-notch book.

Owing to the fact that I found absolutely no error in this book, which means it was exceptionally well edited, and the fact that I found nothing to dislike about it, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

I recommend this book to those interested in crime thrillers and mystery novels. Those interested in understanding the job of detectives will love this one as well.

The Rx for Murder
View: on Bookshelves
Elenimo Chembe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elenimo-chembe.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Elenimo Chembe »

Crime movies are my favourite, that is why crime novels are also my favourite. The book sounds well written and the storyline is captivating. I should put it on my bookshelf.
Joyce Nwaogazie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyce-nwaogazie.html
Latest Review: We Stand Here as A millionaire by Joan Gross

Post by Joyce Nwaogazie »

I always find crime thriller novels fascinating. I loved what the author did with the female gender here, making them competent characters, it's not every day we see this playing out. I enjoyed your review.
Oluwasogo Familusi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwasogo-familusi.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Oluwasogo Familusi »

Drug production coupled with crime detection -- topics I'll like to read about. Thanks for the review
Itz Savaga
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bright-ukaegbu.html
Latest Review: Parent-Child Guide To Coping with Anxiety by Dessy Marinova

Post by Itz Savaga »

The fresh discoveries about the murder of David Pine caught my interest. I'd love to know about that. This, in my opinion, is an impeccable review.
nwankwo chibuchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwankwo-chibuchi.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by nwankwo chibuchi »

The fact that Doyle will do virtually anything to protect himself, even if it involves putting his daughter's life in danger, shows how much of an evil person he is. I'd love to read about such a villain; they make for good stories.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an engaging crime thriller with well-constructed plot and characters that keep suspense throughout the story. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”