Review of Making Angels

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Obinna Chima Agoms
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bibliophile-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Why Rock The Boat When You Don't Know How To Swim? by Daniel Sebata

Review of Making Angels

Post by Obinna Chima Agoms »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Making Angels" by M.J. Holt.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Making Angels was an exciting read. It had all the elements of a crime thriller, creating a flow of interest to keep one engaged yet withholding satisfaction to the end. In this installment of the Stella Fargo series, M.J. Holt delivered a fantastic narrative.

Stella Fargo is sent by her boss to investigate his daughter's disappearance in Peninsula County. This investigation led to a bigger diabolical discovery. What evil awaits her in the county? Will she escape a vindictive ex from her past?

The first thing that caught my attention was the "People You Will Meet" section before the story began. It felt like an information overload because they were too much, and I initially lacked enough information to care about them. Even during my reading journey, I still had to backtrack to it, thus breaking flow most times. I was happy to make sense of why the author added that section eventually.

The variety of characters made the locational setting feel much more alive. From the little details of the type of sandwich offered to the emotional vulnerability shown, I could empathize with the characters. Even the villains had unique personalities and motives from a standpoint that seemed beneficial to them.

The majority of the crimes feel like a wake-up call to gender-based violence towards women, which in our society is quite rampant. We need to always look out for each other.

Rape in any form, especially when a child is involved, is always horrific to read about — in fiction or reality. Most fathers either give consent for the rape or are the rapists, making it more dehumanizing. The Islers are parents I won't wish on anyone, let alone little children. Keenie has a sick obsession, and Jonas has an apathetic personality. Together, they create mental scars that run deep.

M.J. Holt's writing style made for an enjoyable read. The writing was done in simple English with the necessary dose of profanity to accentuate situational feelings. The main character was a female. Hence, the story was written from a feminine perspective. The possibilities of death felt real and practical. There was an emphasis on the legal side of law enforcement, which came from the author's personal experience. Humorous scenes were lacking, which felt right, judging from the plot context.

Making Angels was fun, bringing the reader immediately into the action. I had no serious issues with it. With a few typos, I could say that it was professionally edited. I'd look forward to reading the next book in the Stella Fargo series. 4 out of 4 stars would be the perfect rating for this book. I would recommend it to lovers of crime and mystery fiction. If you'd be triggered by rape incidents, read this book with caution.

Making Angels
View: on Bookshelves
Mildred Echesa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mildred-echesa.html
Latest Review: Catch A Raven by Kirro Burrows

Post by Mildred Echesa »

The book sounds interesting and I hope to read it. You're review is also really detailed and hefty
Poetic Justice
Judyread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judyread.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Judyread »

I can't wait to read all that this book has to offer. I hope that the lost girl is found. Thanks for the informative review
Hue-Morningstar
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hue-morningstar.html
Latest Review: Jesus, Prosperity Gospel and Poverty in Africa by Elijah Oladimeji
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Hue-Morningstar »

The people you meet section is real trouble to me. Not just in this book. And it is more challenging when there are many characters listed in the people to meet section. I always have the tendency to cram them. This always ends bad. The flow of the story is disrupted as I try to refer the characters I read from "The people you meet" section. Nice review!
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose

Post by Amy Luman »

There are some really awful people in the world. Unfortunately, some of those people are parents. I tend to like a section that describes the characters that will be encountered. I guess that’s not a popular opinion.
Yasmine M
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

Thank you for the informative review, I also don't like the "people you will meet" section, I don't think it is necessary when a story is well-narrated. I will pass on reading the book, I don't like the rape part of the story, thank you for the warning.
Anuradha Moghe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31

Post by Anuradha Moghe »

Lovely Book❤ I liked very much.The main character was a female. Hence, the story was written from a feminine perspective.I would recommend it to lovers of crime and mystery fiction and requesting to read this superb book. I appreciate the Respected Author's work and great Concept. Thanks.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an engaging crime thriller, that is, if you can stand the hideous crimes at the center of the story and some horribly deranged people who commit them. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”