Review of Ruby Roy and the Murder in the Falls

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Review of Ruby Roy and the Murder in the Falls

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ruby Roy and the Murder in the Falls" by Rima Ray.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A college professor at Baron University, Dr. Ruby Roy is content living with her husband, Cleo, and their two Maine Coon cats. As unassuming as she is, Ruby is a magnet for bloopers. It has gained her some notoriety amongst her colleagues, who tend to stay away from her. But no misfortune is worst than Ruby finding her boss, Dr. Peter Malcolm, stabbed in his office. Could it be that Mrs. Pillai, her astrologer, was right about the curse of Nag—the Indian snake deity? With a killer running around campus, Ruby fears she may be next. Not quite how she envisioned returning to the world after the COVID-19 lockdowns. So, she does what any reasonable crime witness would do, crack the case herself. As she uncovers her former boss’s shocking indiscretions, she realizes that everyone is keeping skeletons in their closets.

Ruby Roy and the Murder in the Falls is a phenomenal humor-mystery combo. Rima Ray uses creativity and juggles both genres with grace. The resulting product is a laugh-out-loud whodunit that would make Scooby-Doo shiver.

This contemporary mystery checks off many positive boxes, such as an eccentric ethnic female protagonist, puzzling red herrings, and a series of hilarious exaggerations. I’ve already A-listed this book on my summer reading roster.

Ray pours her heart into each character’s development, and it shows. Ruby—who reminds me of Mindy Kaling—is quirky and jovial, klutzy yet loveable. Her spontaneity and capacity to see good in everyone made her one of my favorite personalities. But I won’t single her out since the diversified faculty also deserves appraisals. Carefully crafted based on their unique personal backgrounds, I often thought the author plucked them out of my alma mater. For example, the reclusive professor with the unintelligible speech. In addition, the melodrama of college life gets two thumbs up, even the shenanigans of the student body.

The mystery plot is well-thought-out and suspenseful. There is an element of surprise that spooked me. In addition, the trail of clues kept me curious. Despite my numerous attempts at identifying the culprit, I was unprepared for the ending. Hands down, the reader interaction is a favorite and positive aspect.

I have no negative aspect to mention; however, Ruby daydreams a lot, so the story backtracks in the beginning chapters. At first, these off-tangent moments seemed bothersome; nonetheless, they're vital for the foundation of this new detective series. This book is the first installment.

Overall, I have nothing but praise for Ruby Roy and the Murder in the Falls and rate it a well-deserved 4 out of 4 stars. The editing is highly professional. I found nothing to dislike, so a lesser rating is needless.

Readers who enjoyed stories like Goosebumps as a child will relish this book. Also, there is a strong message about inclusivity; therefore, I recommend it to those searching for diversity in books. Anyone who finds ethnic cliches offensive may take issues with some of the descriptions, but I still think you should give it a shot.

Ruby Roy and the Murder in the Falls
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Chimereucheya Okoroafo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimereucheya-okoroafo.html
Latest Review: Life's ecstasy and eternal struggles by Sandra mayfield

Post by Chimereucheya Okoroafo »

Firstly, I must say that the character on the cover looks abstractly like Carmen Sandiego. Secondly, this review is great and now, I'm hoping to get the chance to read and review this wonderful literature.
You have a life to live. If you ain't living it, that's failure. :tiphat:
honeybear_11001
Currently Reading: A Dream For Peace
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honeybear-11001.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by honeybear_11001 »

Seems like a delightful read. I especially love the summary of the book. This is definitely my preferred genre. Can't wait to read and review it. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Jane Ogwang
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-ogwang.html
Latest Review: Dr. Marsha and the Case of the Missing Marshmallows and Hotdogs by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jane Ogwang »

Your review has left me yearning for more of Ruby's story. If the book is half as interesting as this review then I'm sure I'll enjoy reading it. Kudos!
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Chimereucheya O wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 06:03 Firstly, I must say that the character on the cover looks abstractly like Carmen Sandiego. Secondly, this review is great and now, I'm hoping to get the chance to read and review this wonderful literature.
OMG she does :lol: The author loves those nostalgic shows of the 90s. I really hope you get to try and enjoy it! Thanks for the comment.
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

TrJ001 wrote: 23 Jun 2022, 03:26 Your review has left me yearning for more of Ruby's story. If the book is half as interesting as this review then I'm sure I'll enjoy reading it. Kudos!
That's really encouraging and kind! I hope you like the book. Thanks for reading my review!
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

honeybear_11001 wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 06:14 Seems like a delightful read. I especially love the summary of the book. This is definitely my preferred genre. Can't wait to read and review it. Thanks for the wonderful review.
I'm happy you got encouraged! I hope you like it as much as I did. Thanks for taking the time to read my review.
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

Though I try to stay away from reading books like this,but your review got me and I will try out the book. Welldone
Azubike Richard
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azubike-richard.html
Latest Review: Love and Resistance by Marie J. Mond

Post by Azubike Richard »

One thing I love about the book was how the book's cover the author was related perfectly to the book. You did a wonderful review
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Ive always wanted to be a detective and this gives me hope. Unfortunately, I never seem to come up with the winning(losing) culprit when I read a book or watch a TV show.
Jane Ogwang
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Dr. Marsha and the Case of the Missing Marshmallows and Hotdogs by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jane Ogwang »

Ruby's experience seems traumatic yet exciting. I'd definitely like to find out more. Wonderful review.
Daniel Oluwabiyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-profeddy05.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Daniel Oluwabiyi »

Ruby seems like a great character to read about. I would definitely be trying out this book. Great review.
Natalie Sheph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-sheph.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Natalie Sheph »

I don't generally read books of this genre, but maybe it's time to add more variety to my bookshelf. Thanks for your wonderful review.
Judith Donald
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judith-donald.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Judith Donald »

I'm a fan of crime thrillers and detective stories. I would like to see how Ruby unravels the mystery of her boss' death. I loved reading your review, it had a lot of suspense in it.
Jane Ogwang
Currently Reading:

Post by Jane Ogwang »

The book's cover page is bright and brilliant. I'm glad you enjoyed reading it. Thank you for the recommendation.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”