Review of The Islands Tell Of It

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Review of The Islands Tell Of It

Post by Ellylion »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Islands Tell Of It" by Patty Fischer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer is the first book of The Aswang Trilogy. The city of Anderson, Indiana, became a scene of horrible crimes only a monster could commit. And it truly was a monster, for a survived victim, Melanie Rossen, described a horrifying creature that attacked her. The creature mummified a fetus in Melanie's womb, sucking out the unborn baby's blood and vital fluids. It mentioned the word "balut," which led the investigators, Glenda McMahan and Luther Charles, to the depths of the Philippine mythology and old legends from the island of Panay. It turns out that the monster's name is "Aswang," and it's a shapeshifter. Glenda and Luther must find the connection between this creature and a wealthy family, the Rathbones, involved in Big Pharma. What is hidden in the Tower of the Rathbones' mansion? What horrifying mystery does their butler, Wesley Thornton, keep? Why does beautiful Amora Rathbone behave so strangely?

I like that the book touches on the legends that originated in the Phillippines, for it's a rare occasion to take a glimpse into the rich culture of that region. Also, I liked the scene with Althea, Luther's fiancée, scaring away the monster that harmed her with a salt and garlic solution. The scene depicted a strong and beautiful African American woman protecting her unborn baby, which was uplifting. It is worth mentioning that the book is engaging and unpredictable, with a satisfying ending and an intriguing premise for the second installment of the series.

On the other hand, it was hard to emotionally connect with the main character, Glenda. This character seemed flat. For example, Glenda explained to an occasional person why she was dressed casually, which made her sound shallow. The writing style was a bit awkward, some conversations were strained, and the narrative was a little dragging.

Also, I found more than ten punctuation errors and typos, like missing quotation marks, unnecessary capitalization, or full stops instead of commas between the clauses. In my opinion, the book needs a round of thorough editing. I gave the book only 3 out of 4 stars because of the mentioned errors. Nevertheless, I believe that the book does not deserve any lesser rating, for it is entertaining and original.

I recommend the book to fans of crime drama thrillers depicting police work. Those who prefer the horror genre novels would find this book interesting. Readers appreciating an element of the paranormal would enjoy it too. A sensitive audience and especially animal lovers should consider that the book has some disturbing scenes regarding the balut "delicacy." Strong expressions I spotted in the book prevented me from recommending it to a younger audience.

The Islands Tell Of It
View: on Bookshelves
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

This novel really sounds like something I would like. Stephen King is my favorite author and this is reminiscent of him. I also like that this is set in Anderson, IN as I am from close to there and nothing ever seems to happen.
Summer Henrietta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-summer-henrietta.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Summer Henrietta »

This book is very mysterious and intriguing. I'm a big fan of horror stories so I believe I will consider this book.
Jelly_J
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jelly-j.html
Latest Review: Annihilation by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Jelly_J »

I would like to read this book as it seems to touch Philippine mythology which I have not encountered before. The suspense you created in your review has also piqued my interest. I wonder what kind of creature attacked Melanie. Great review.
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

Amy Luman wrote: 03 Aug 2022, 10:01 This novel really sounds like something I would like. Stephen King is my favorite author and this is reminiscent of him. I also like that this is set in Anderson, IN as I am from close to there and nothing ever seems to happen.
Ha ha, really? :D You'd love the book then!
Sydney Ash
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Where the Crawdads Sing
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sydney-ash.html
Latest Review: Tyler's Promised Gift by M. C. Abushar

Post by Sydney Ash »

Sounds like an interesting read! I struggle with books that are poorly edited however.
WriteOn
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writeon.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by WriteOn »

You've certainly captured the gruesome nature of this book Ellylion. The inclusion of legends from the Philippines is unusual and adds interest. Thanks for your comprehensive review and the warning about balut.
JeffD
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by JeffD »

Thriller stories would be always my favorite mostly the one which includes monsters I would be so amazing if you could release video part
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

Mrs D O wrote: 03 Aug 2022, 15:03 You've certainly captured the gruesome nature of this book Ellylion. The inclusion of legends from the Philippines is unusual and adds interest. Thanks for your comprehensive review and the warning about balut.
Thank you very much for your kind words! :)
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

Your review was great, but this sentence got to me, "The creature mummified a fetus in Melanie's womb, sucking out the unborn baby's blood and vital fluids. " I think I will have to pass on this book.
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

diana lowery wrote: 04 Aug 2022, 08:09 Your review was great, but this sentence got to me, "The creature mummified a fetus in Melanie's womb, sucking out the unborn baby's blood and vital fluids. " I think I will have to pass on this book.
That's totally understandable! :D Thanks for your kind comments! :)
Moyin Loveth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moyin-loveth.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Moyin Loveth »

I think this book contains gory, horrific scenes that I won't be able to read, so I'll pass on this. However, this is a nicely written summary.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

Hmm.... Only your plot summary is already giving me chills down my spine. I love horror books, but I don't think I am ready for this one. Thanks a lot for a well-expressed review and recommendation.
OTrain Disene
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flight Quack
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-otrain-disene.html
Latest Review: Mysteries by Graham Wilson

Post by OTrain Disene »

Disconnection from the characters is the bad thing because you end up feeling excluded from the actions and emotions of it all. you feel like you are watching through the window. I also dislike this about books. Great review.
Regard003
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-regard003.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Regard003 »

Your review has a touch of error in it. It got my heart beating fast. I might not read this book even though it seem interesting

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”