Review of Cherry Bomb

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Praise GodWord
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-godword.html
Latest Review: Retirement Planning by William C. Evergreen

Review of Cherry Bomb

Post by Praise GodWord »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Cherry Bomb" by Willard Thurston.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Vancouver, a package was to be delivered in a scow “off Point Roberts, the American penne-exclave south of Vancouver." In the scow was a nuclear artillery shell to be picked up by “The juggler," a thug hired by the Islamic Republic of Iran, and Russian accomplices. The atomic weapon, if mishandled, could detonate and wipe out a large mass of people. Coincidentally, this exchange was taking place during the Vancouver late summer fair. A fair that attracts a great crowd. In this chaos, the scow gets mixed up. Tension arises as there is limited time to find a nuclear weapon. Would the scow containing the weapon be found in time?

Randy, an impoverished teenager living in a tree house, got into trouble by playing a prank on a Russian. A prank that entangled him in the thuggery of the nuclear shell. Apparently, how would Randy come out of the mess he wasn't even aware he created in a disadvantaged situation?

Cherry Bomb Explosive Reckonings: A Novel by Willard Thurston is a thrilling genre about the intertwining lives of uncommon characters. I particularly liked the character, Randy. His sense of reasoning and wide imagination was top-notch in the book. He seemed to be living in an entirely different cosmos. I also liked the blending of other characters like Maureen and her family into the book. As a stage actress, she possessed a vibrant and unique feature in the book. The skits were very educative. And the addition of a mystery assailant was beautifully captivating. I liked this about the book.

Another part of the book I liked was the chapters divided into two parts: purgatory and limbo. This division helped signify the change in the sequence of events. I particularly liked the limbo because of the many turns the story took. Randy's near abduction at the wedding was one of the scenes I immensely enjoyed.

The writing style employed by the writer was beautiful. The words were complex and meaningful. It'd take an intelligent reader to crack the mysterious book. But the disadvantage of this was that the reading became cumbersome. I still do not understand why the unknown assailant sought to assault Maureen. There are still some other parts of the book that weren't fully clarified. I wouldn't say I liked this about the book.

Hence, I rate this book three out of four stars. I found only a few errors, meaning the book was well edited. I recommend this book to readers who enjoy mystery and action-filled novels.

Cherry Bomb
View: on Bookshelves
Willard Thurston
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Willard Thurston »

The maniacal assailant Vijay Kurtz is murderously furious with Maureen Rutquist because her theatre group mocks his life philosophy, and, when he assaults the theatre cast in an impulsive rage, she leaves a scar on his face that gives him perilous identity, given his subversive role in Canada -- constituting a pervasive affront he seeks 'restitution' for -- all of which is detailed in the book! Overall, a disappointing review. But one I must live with. Given the day's woke advocacy it may be a blessing in disguise.
Ikmal maulana

Post by Ikmal maulana »

we can know about military duty from this book
Chiwendu Ikechukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwendu-ikechukwu.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chiwendu Ikechukwu »

This book looks interesting from the review above. And the storyline is my kind of story. Adding it to my shelf for future reading ASAP.
Chiwendu Ikechukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwendu-ikechukwu.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chiwendu Ikechukwu »

This book looks interesting from the review above. And the storyline is my kind of story. Adding it to my shelf for future reading ASAP.
KHALED ZEKRY
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by KHALED ZEKRY »

The book looks interesting from the review above. And the storyline is my kind of story. Adding it to my shelf for future reading ASAP.
Ikechukwu Blessing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ikechukwu-blessing.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Ikechukwu Blessing »

This book looks like scripts used in acting in some kind of action movies.Nice job.
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 85270
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 1284%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

Variety of characters, agenda and events reckoning.. Goodreads 💯🥂✅
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I always enjoy reading novels that involve a nuclear weapon’s disappearance. The thrill of not knowing where or when it will be found is exciting. I realize they almost always are, but still. What if?
abhi_jeet

Post by abhi_jeet »

:D :D I always enjoy reading novels that involve a nuclear weapon’s disappearance. The thrill of not knowing where or when it will be found is exciting.
CharlesC+Esq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlesc-esq.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by CharlesC+Esq »

Reading the review above, I get a feeling that it's a good book that I might add to my shelves.
The sheer thrill of finding a super-dangerous object can keep one on the edge of the seat and not put down the book until the last coverhas been read.
Shadreck Rogers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadreck-rogers.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Shadreck Rogers »

Reminds me of the great Hollywood movies I have watched. Brilliant storyline.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Killing Machine
Bookshelf Size: 428
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by NetMassimo »

Despite the complexities you mentioned, this seems like an intriguing mystery with well-constructed characters. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”