Review of The Mo$cow Whale

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chimomaebuka Ejimchi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimomaebuka-ejimchi.html
Latest Review: The Guardians of Earea by E.J. Denman

Review of The Mo$cow Whale

Post by Chimomaebuka Ejimchi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Mo$cow Whale" by S J Torkard.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jen Buckley is haunted by the memories of her horrible experience in Afghanistan. Captain Buckley, as she then was, was declared missing in action. After so many years, she returns. She left the military and currently works as a police officer. Everything seemed to have been going well, and her recovery from the trauma of Afghanistan was going well. However, a Russian citizen, Mikhail Covak, was found dead. There are speculations that this was a state-sponsored murder by Russia. Jen Buckley is assigned to this case.

Lithium is becoming the new oil, and the big players are falling head over heels for a piece of this cake. NordLith PLC, the world's largest miner of Lithium, is about to make an IPO; it is considered to be “The Moscow Whale.” It will be the biggest anyone has seen in years. London Stock Exchange was able to win the battle and get NordLith to London. However, this comes with a huge price to pay. The agreement requires installing Russian technology at London Stock Exchange. This would bring the entire financial world to its knees. Racing against time to stop the servers from being installed, Jen Buckley has to team up with an ally Zhukov, and other security agencies.

The Mo$cow Whale is an interesting piece of fiction by S.J. Torkard. There are so many things to love about this book. The most notable of them all is the author's narrative technique. I was hooked from the first page. With his vivid descriptions of buildings, people and even cars, I could not help but imagine some of them, including the Tesla. The interactions between the characters were amazing. I like how I could feel the characters' emotions. When Buckley had her flashbacks, it felt so real, and I could relate to the friendship she had with Fry and Norma.

The friendship between Buckley and Zhukov did not go unnoticed. This author did an exceptional job keeping me thrilled from start to finish. He perfectly blended the thrill with suspense. This book cannot be said to be fast-paced or slow-paced. It had the perfect pace. There was no dull moment at all. I must say that this book was professionally edited. I only found one error in this book.

My least favourite thing about this book was that the chapters were unnecessarily short. I mean, there was no need to cut the chapters so short. I felt having fifty-three chapters meant that a chapter started and finished in just a few pages. Each chapter was too short, in my opinion. Nevertheless, this would not stop me from rating this book four out of four stars. I totally enjoyed this one, and in consideration of the positive aspects I mentioned, I did not see any reason to remove a star from my rating.

I would recommend this book to people like me who love themselves some thrilling fictional books. This book highlights a high level of organised crime, and I promise you, you'd be so engrossed in it.

The Mo$cow Whale
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 85270
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 1284%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

Buckley is forced to rely on her old training and if she can keep her pastat bay use every ounce of cunning and martial Power
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

It's unfortunate that large corporations feel the need to profit off the backs of "common" people. It's also disconcerting that these large companies can do what they want.
Valeria Rotaru
Currently Reading: Of Human Bondage
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valeria-rotaru.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Valeria Rotaru »

I think I'm in love with this book even though I haven't read it. It gives a dangerous and romantic taint for some reason.
Robins Singh
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Robins Singh »

Jen Buckley is so brave and has all the skills and courage to reaserch about the murder of Mikhail Covak
Ikechukwu Blessing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ikechukwu-blessing.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Ikechukwu Blessing »

Coming out of trauma as things seem to be alright, then entering into a murder case is quite a difficult task.
Favour Amarachi Mgbeoji
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favour-amarachi-mgbeoji.html
Latest Review: Operation November Blizzard by Stephen Snow (penname)

Post by Favour Amarachi Mgbeoji »

I love stories that have detailed descriptions of the things in them. This allows me to imagine things the way the author intends the readers to view them. I will definitely check out this book later. Thank you for your review.
Vivian Stones
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-stones.html
Latest Review: The Silicon Divide by Danielle Nowell

Post by Vivian Stones »

I must say that the title of this book seems intriguing. It's different, and I would like to know the content of this story. Thank you for your review.
Darlings O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlington-onuoha.html
Latest Review: Imperfect Lives Perfect Grace by Dr. E.M. Johnson

Post by Darlings O »

Jen Buckley seems like an interesting character, and I would love to learn about her. I also want to know about her horrible past and how this story ended. Thank you for your review.
Michael Valentine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-valentine.html
Latest Review: Diotima by Bernard Kuckuck

Post by Michael Valentine »

I love thrilling fictional books like this. The plot of this book is interesting. I love the fact that the author took out his time to develop his characters. I will create out time to read this book. Thank you for your review.
CharlesC+Esq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlesc-esq.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by CharlesC+Esq »

I like the stories as movies where Russians have a bone to chew, there's no dull moment.
I will definitely take some time apart to read this story.
The review is attractive and convincing enough to consider the book worth a reading, well done.
ThankGod Onyishi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thankgod-onyishi.html
Latest Review: The Blood of My Mother by Roccie Hill

Post by ThankGod Onyishi »

Thrillers and mysteries are books I can never see myself getting tired of. This book appears to be one. I am definitely going to read this. Thanks for the review.
Chiwelite Obioma Mgbeoji
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwelite-obioma-mgbeoji.html
Latest Review: Choices by Ogonna Juliet Nnamani

Post by Chiwelite Obioma Mgbeoji »

I like that the book was able to capture and retain your attention. I hope it does the same to me too. This, along with the author's narrative style as you have mentioned appear to be wonderful. Thank you for the review.
Lucy Vera
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucy-v.html
Latest Review: Letter of Paul to the Americans by Nicholas F Mazza

Post by Lucy Vera »

The fact that the author helps us picture the characters and gives vivid descriptions is perfection. I love being able to imagine myself as a character in a story while reading.
ThankGod Onyishi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thankgod-onyishi.html
Latest Review: The Blood of My Mother by Roccie Hill

Post by ThankGod Onyishi »

This is one I would most certainly try out. It does not appear to be book I would enjoy but it appears to be one that would be enlightening. Thank you for your review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”