Review of Legacy of Evil

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Review of Legacy of Evil

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Legacy of Evil" by Ed Marohn.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

John Moore, an agent with the CIA, is tasked with locating and exposing neo-Nazis in Europe. His first mission is to deliver a letter to Nina, a woman in Germany who was part of the Baader-Meinhof Gang, a far-left group whose mission was to uncover former Nazis. A series of events leads the mission to Finland, where Agent Moore and other CIA operatives must locate a hidden atomic weapon with the help of some former members of the anarchist group. In Legacy of Evil, by Ed Marohn, Agent Moore must navigate across the tundra to locate the weapon before the neo-Nazis find it first. He soon learns that there is much more to this mission than meets the eye. He is a trained psychologist, but he is haunted by the unrelenting memories of painful experiences during prior missions.

The story is told in the first-person and is an engaging blend of character-driven and plot-driven narration. Characters are well-rounded, complete with realistic flaws and past regrets; readers are able to relate to the troubled relationships and the debilitating effect of traumatic experiences that just won’t fade. The action in the novel is equally as captivating. Integrated into this adventure are many twists and turns, and the action does not stop until the very end. In addition, the description of the setting adds another layer of depth to the story. The rustic Finnish countryside and formidable Scandinavian landscape is portrayed with gripping detail and the tone in these descriptions parallels the energy of the plot.

The best part of this book is the characterization, particularly of the protagonist. By including flashbacks of a prior mission in Vietnam, author Ed Marohn gives his character an interesting identity. I have read many stories of war, and the flashbacks described in this one are among the most moving. The protagonist relives one moment in the Asian jungle and recalls that the “depleted medical kit at my feet meant no other options.” As we know, experiences shape perceptions, which in turn influence decisions. Although the agent is perceptive, there is a realism in his thoughts and interactions with others that is very relatable. One of my favorite parts of the book is the interaction between him and the sled dogs. Even the personalities of the dogs were dynamic and thought-provoking.

There is nothing I disliked about this book. There are, however, some errors in grammar that caused a bit of confusion. This was most notable in unusual line breaks and punctuation within the dialogue. For this reason only, I give Legacy of Evil 3 out of 4 stars. Otherwise, I enjoyed the intensity of the plot, the robust characterization, and the unpredictability of the storyline.

This book will appeal to many readers, and I recommend it to those who enjoy reading action-filled stories about organized crime and those who are interested in historical fiction. Those who like stories with compelling characters would also enjoy this piece. There is some moderate profanity and some short descriptive scenes of violence, so it may not be suitable for very young readers.

Legacy of Evil
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Pearl Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-thomas.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Pearl Thomas »

I'm not particularly fascinated by books on organized crime, but this one seems interesting! I feel that one of the most difficult parts of developing characters is not just making them interesting but real. It is nice that the agent is portrayed with a sense of realism in his thoughts. I really liked your review.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

There seems to be a lot going on in this novel. Even though I am not a real fan of traditional historical fiction,I do like stories with action, especially those involving organized crime. I am interested in John’s exploits.
Mandip Bhattarai
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mandip Bhattarai »

This seems to be like a historical and traditional fiction but it's very interested and it's characterization and the story was awesome. I really enjoy it.
Riya Sarkar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riya-sarkar.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Riya Sarkar »

Even dogs are having a dynamic personality? Now, that happens in very few books and whenever it does, it's always the best! Thanks for your review.
Patty Allread
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

This novel sounds exciting, adventurous, and highly entertaining. That must have been some important letter to Nina!
Ogunkoya Mayowa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogunkoya-mayowa.html
Latest Review: Why Did Buffy's Fur Go Flat? by Erin Hill and Dr. Russ Hill

Post by Ogunkoya Mayowa »

This is a historical fiction book where we see agent Moore given the task to locate and expose neo-Nazis in Europe. He was also tasked with finding the hidden atomic weapon before the neo-Nazis find it. I love how the author connects the characters in this book. I'm glad you enjoyed reading this book. Thanks for the great review.
Shadreck Rogers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadreck-rogers.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Shadreck Rogers »

Sounds like a Hollywood Spy thriller and that's my favourite. Thanks for the review.
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

This sounds like an interesting, multi-faceted plot. The confluence of Moore's experiences and the scenes of the rustic Finnish countryside and formidable Scandinavian landscape make me want to consider this read. Thank you for your recommendation.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an engaging novel full of adventure in a fight against neo-Nazis in Europe with well-constructed characters. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”