Review of The Secret Life of Truda

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Review of The Secret Life of Truda

Post by Aisha Yakub »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Secret Life of Truda" by Marshall Ginevan.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

One night, Truda and her roommate, Heidi, got back to their apartment. Unknown to them, they were being stalked by two men. These two men broke into their apartment and attempted to rape Heidi. Though small in stature, Truda was able to throw one of the rapists above the balcony. Heidi was distraught and didn't notice what happened. When the police arrive, Truda gave a false recount of the events, claiming that both men got into a fight which resulted in the death of the young man. Truda's weekend disappearances do not go unnoticed by Heidi. Robert and Truda always seem to be up to something suspicious.

Rape had become a norm. Many men could not stand being rejected. While women ran for their lives, Truda was brave and avenged many female victims. Intelligence agencies in Europe tried to identify this contract security agent, but she always seemed to be a step ahead. Who is Truda? Who does she work for? Find out by reading The Secret Life of Truda by Marshall Ginevan.

I particularly enjoyed this book because of the intriguing storyline and great characterization. Truda was an interesting character, and her personality drew me into this book. It was interesting to read about the strength that her physical appearance did no justice to. Many times, she was underestimated. It was more interesting to read about the reactions of people whenever she surpassed their expectations. During training, she kept up with the pace of seemingly stronger people. This book had a lot of suspense and thrill, and a significant amount of this could be credited to the quality of Truda's personality.

I liked how this book explored some social vices. In environments with high crime rates, things could become overwhelming for the security forces. Crimes seem bad because decency prevails. The moment there are too many records of social vices, it becomes less appalling to the people in that environment. It was disheartening to read about how people were abused and could do nothing about it. The narration of this book is commendable. There were elements of humor and sarcasm.

I found less than ten errors in this book, but the errors that I came across were so basic, and it gave me the feeling that proper attention wasn't paid when editing this book. Truda was spelled as "Trude" on some pages. Also, I think this book struggled with coherence. There were too many actions going on all at once. There were too many scenes and people to read about. While I enjoyed this story, these concerns affected my reading experience. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I am deducting a star because of the negative aspects I mentioned.

I recommend this book to lovers of crime thrillers. If you like books with the presence of strong female characters, then this book is for you.

The Secret Life of Truda
View: on Bookshelves
Ruthwriter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruthwriter.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Ruthwriter »

I enjoy books on social vice. It helps in putting the wrong thing right. I will have to purchase this book personally. great review
Bri Denzel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bri-denzel.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Bri Denzel »

There's a lot to unravel about the person of Truda, and I'm willing to go on this journey through the pages of this amazing book.
Smrithi Arun
Currently Reading: The Girl On The Train
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smrithi-arun.html
Latest Review: Derrick of Death by Malvina Lerma
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 6%

Post by Smrithi Arun »

I am a massive fan of crime thrillers. However, rape can be a sensitive issue for many people, including me. I hope there is a trigger warning at the beginning of the book and the description. Thank you for the insightful review!
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

No one really knows what happens with anyone else. Do you think it’s even possible that your best friend or significant other has a secret life? I’d really like to know if Trudy is ever found out.
Mr Excellence
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-excellence.html
Latest Review: Four Critical Days by Edward Vogler

Post by Mr Excellence »

Amy Luman wrote: 12 Sep 2022, 18:29 No one really knows what happens with anyone else. Do you think it’s even possible that your best friend or significant other has a secret life? I’d really like to know if Trudy is ever found out.
Same here Amy.
Mr Excellence
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-excellence.html
Latest Review: Four Critical Days by Edward Vogler

Post by Mr Excellence »

I love the Truda character. Her braveness and intelligence is overwhelming.
Great review.
Yasmine M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

Truda is exceptional; I admire her bravery. I would like to find out more about the story and I am adding this book to my shelves.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a crime thriller that explores some dark sides of humanity though there's also humor, not only violence. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”