Review of The Pleasure of Her Majesty Volume One

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Oyedeji Okikioluwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 964
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orizon.html
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi

Review of The Pleasure of Her Majesty Volume One

Post by Oyedeji Okikioluwa »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Pleasure of Her Majesty Volume One" by Callan Charles.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Pleasure of Her Majesty Volume One by Callan Charles is a crime-fiction novel. The book portrays the lifestyle of drug barons and uncovers the messy glam of the crime world.

It was an unexpected call on a sunny afternoon from a gruff Eastern European called Grip that veered Agent Long on this dangerous ride. Two weeks later saw him in Zurich and complying with the orders of this tough guy, which led to a business partnership. Agent Long moved to Spain and into Grip's massive villa. The two Russian girls that lived there—Nadia and Etelka, were a little wary of his arrival but settled in as time passed. Business was dangerous and fast-paced with Grip, and Agent Long knew how to balance it right. They become quite a pair and weather a lot of precarious situations together and, fortunately, always live to fight another day. However, when their invincibility appears to take a dip and their cover is blown. Would this duo find a way to pull through this? Dive in to find out!

I was in a bewildered state of awe that this book was Callan Charles's debutant. From the parlance to delivery to writing style and character structure, this book reeks of experience and high-ended research. It reads like a movie script and hits all the proper checks for a superb tv series! Callan was very descriptive to the tee on the delivery of contraband deals and consignments. The book was so rich in information that I initially thought it was a documentary report from the perspective of a busted drug lord.

The highlight of this book for me was balancing the plot and subplot. I liked the fusion of characters' personal lives amidst the main story of hard crime. It accrued the right balance and added a bust of color to the stark main plot. Every page of this book was engaging. There literally was no dull moment between the lines. If Grip wasn't proposing a business plan, he was busting the doors of an erring partner that double-crossed him. It was hard to pick a favorite character. In as much as they were not all perfect, I like that glimmers of a fantastic personality showed through their dark days. But I like Etelka's nature most. She was family-oriented, compassionate, and gave sensible advice.

However, there are certain things about this story that I don't like. Firstly, this book is a blur of drug deals and pseudonyms tossed around. There is no head or tail to the story. It just seems to go on and on. It was rising and falling in conflict, with no major or minor event. Secondly, a host of spelling errors were quite jarring while reading. For these reasons, I rate The Pleasure of Her Majesty Volume One 3 out of 4 stars.

In conclusion, I recommend The Pleasure of Her Majesty Volume One to crime-fiction fans. This book is the very definition of a thriller series!

The Pleasure of Her Majesty Volume One
View: on Bookshelves
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

This book sounds like a thrilling and fast-paced book! It sounds like a book worth reading and I hope the spelling errors would be rectified in the future. They can make an amazing book, bad*
Thank you for your Review and insight in this book.
Jennifer Coxon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

Thank you for this great review. This definitely seems to hit the mark for a debut book, although I would prefer to read it when the errors have been resolved as I agree this can be very jarring. I am interested to meet this mix of characters though: definitely one to add to my bookshelf.
Shadreck Rogers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadreck-rogers.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Shadreck Rogers »

Sounds like a Hollywood drug related movie and that is my favourite genre.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

From the limited plot structure, this novel seems to recount the essential of drug dealing, so it should be perfect for fans of crime thrillers. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”