Review of The Bowtow

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chimomaebuka Ejimchi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimomaebuka-ejimchi.html
Latest Review: The Guardians of Earea by E.J. Denman

Review of The Bowtow

Post by Chimomaebuka Ejimchi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Bowtow" by Joe O’Neill.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Bowtow by Joe O'Neill is a fascinating, intriguing, and bloody thriller with a vibrant setting that cuts across over three European countries, including Germany, Scotland, the Netherlands, and England. The novel tells the story of Frankie and his friends, who find themselves trailing deadly people in their search for answers following the demise of Frankie's brother. The book is also about law enforcement and trust. When crimes happen in our society, we don't hesitate to rush to law enforcement agencies and lodge reports. Still, this fast-paced novel asks us whether we know whether these law enforcement agencies are really for us or against us. McDougall, a sergeant, finds himself investigating a case. Through the wonderful and risky efforts of Frank, Tony, and Kaiser, McDougall will find out whose side his superiors are really on.

There are many positive aspects to this book. I loved the fact that the author did not hold back. The book was bloody with many deaths, and I think this is one of the things that makes thrillers worth reading. These deaths keep the characters on their toes as they try to keep themselves safe at any cost. The book had some beautiful themes, like revenge, crime, and trust. As I pointed out earlier, the novel raised a serious question about the sincerity of law enforcement agencies and whether they can be trusted. This was brought to light through McDougall's superior, Roonie.

Revenge was also a theme because the three associates were out to ascertain what happened to Frank's brother. Deceit is also a significant theme that plays out numerous times in this book. The book contained only a few grammar errors; I appreciated the fact that it was professionally edited.

As for the negative aspects, I'll have to be very honest here. This book had a lot of negative aspects, and I don't know whether it was the fault of the author or the publisher. Should we talk about the incomplete sentences that will turn the reader into a puzzle solver or many of the chapters where you can't even identify the particular character that is talking? I'll have to be blunt here and say that reading this book was very tough for me. For example, there was a chapter in this book where I knew Rutherford was knocking on a door, but I couldn't even identify whose door he was knocking on. This could be an attempt to build suspense or maybe just a mistake from the author or editor, but it made the book difficult to read. As an avid reader, I must say that reading this felt like a chore. Also, in Chapter 49, a police officer was scattering someone's room, yet no name was mentioned. I don't believe the book had other negative aspects because the vulgar words used in it made it sound like a proper thriller, and I have to thank the author for that.

Therefore, I rate the book 2 out of 4 stars. Even though the story was beautiful, the delivery was not fantastic. I am looking forward to a new edition because this wonderful story cannot be sacrificed at the altar of these few drawbacks. A good editor might just work the magic. I recommend this book to lovers of good novels, especially thrillers.

The Bowtow
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I’m glad I read the review all the way to the end. Based on the summary and the first part of the review, I was going to read the book. However, your mention of all the negatives changed my mind.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a novel with good potential thanks to a story that goes all the way. Shame about the problems that spoil the reading experience. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”