Review of Cant See Around Corners

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: The Man In the cafe by Michael J Pilkington

Review of Cant See Around Corners

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Cant See Around Corners" by Josie Townsend.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sharon and Annie are twins, but that is the only thing they have in common. Annie is studious and reserved, while Sharon is carefree and wild; their looks are just as different. They are fresh college graduates, and just before they settle into their careers, they decide to explore Europe and its rich history. For Annie, the trip was an avenue to feed her hunger for Norse mythology and ancient history. For Sharon, it was an opportunity to unleash who she truly was. They were both eager to get away from their parents' prying eyes. But none of them had any idea the trip would change their lives in irreparable ways.

If there is something Josie Townsend got right in this book, it is the ending. The end was a masterful stroke from the author that beat all my predictions. It was so good that it made up for some of the book's shortcomings. It also sets the stage for a sequel if the author decides to write one.

Can't See Around Corners is a decent read, but the execution could be better. The author tells too much and shows too little. Hence, the characters and dialogues weren't particularly remarkable. The major players, Annie and Sharon, have flat personalities that pretty much remained the same throughout the story. The good one is all good, and the bad one is all bad; the black-and-white portrayal of human behaviors and the simplistic dialogues dimmed the book's allure.

Another drawback is the lack of a good backstory that explains the foundation of the relationship between Sharon and Liam. Before their liaison, Sharon had always been hostile towards Liam. So I wonder how they both conspired to do something so sinister. Considering that he was previously portrayed as a person with good values, his actions after Annie's response to his feelings of affection are a little too drastic to fit his image.

Lastly, I also think someone with a history major like Annie would understand the importance of not tempering with historical items. Hence, her behavior with the amulet was a little surprising.

Despite my quibbles, the book would prove a worthwhile read if you don't overthink the details. However, I struggled to get emotionally attached to the characters. Overall, I rate it 2 out of 4 stars. I'm docking a star for the flaws I noted and another for the errors I found while reading.

Adults that enjoy mystical and psychological dramas would appreciate the book. However, some elements of the book are too gory for sensitive readers.

Cant See Around Corners
View: on Bookshelves
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I also enjoy descriptions and not just being told how to imagine something. In addition, there is definitely something to be said for a character who learns throughout the story. I hope that the author will fix the problems with it.
Edit_or
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edit-or.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Edit_or »

Wow! This is definitely the kind of books I love. Thanks for the review. I’ll grab a copy.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This novel has some interesting elements but seems to be in need for more editing to fix the problems you pointed out and I'm not sure I want to read it in its current state. Regardless, thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”