Review of Dirtbags and Dead Bodies

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review of Dirtbags and Dead Bodies

Post by Diana Lowery »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dirtbags and Dead Bodies" by Dr. Jeffrey Snider.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If you are a fan of TV crime dramas such as NCIS and Law & Order Special Victims Unit, you will enjoy reading Dirtbags and Dead Bodies. The title ideally demonstrates the tone of Dr. Jeffrey Snider's writing style, which incorporates both humor and horror. There are 53 stories and 275 pages. The extremely short stories are mostly standalone tales and rarely connect with each other, making this a book perfectly suited for quick reads in a waiting room or during a lunch break.

Because there is no overall plot, climax, or denouement, it is not a compelling read. I had to ask for an extension because I was not motivated to finish the book quickly. Although the stories themselves are crafted well, I could only read three or four in one sitting. Imagine sitting in a pub with someone who is a great storyteller, and who has led an exciting life. How long would you stay interested? Also, the fact that the stories are all true and actually happened to the author evoked sympathy for the victims of the crimes, and I had to deal with my emotions before reading further.

The first-person narration covers Snider's 12 years in law enforcement. He served as a homicide investigator, a SWAT team leader, and as chief of police. He is currently a college professor, and I am confident his classes are entertaining and informative. It appears that Snider's Ph.D. in business does not include expertise in editing. The exorbitant number of errors required a star deduction.

Many of the stories, such as "David's Butt Warmer," are heart-breaking, especially those that involve child abuse and neglect. My favorite stories are the humorous ones that expose the naivety of some criminals. "Looking for a Denny's" tells about six college students, who the author refers to as preppy dirtbags. My least favorite tales are those that describe deviant sexual crimes. "Like Father, Like Son" is difficult to read.

My rating for this book is three out of four stars. That score is due to a lack of editing. Although I think the book would have been better if the stories had been in chronological order, I am not deducting any points for that issue. The book has no introduction or conclusion. The last, random story ends the book. C/T/M/H devotees who are looking for some short-time-fillers will be satisfied with this book. The amount of profanity and sexual content used is high, so sensitive readers might want to skip this one.

Dirtbags and Dead Bodies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ebele Ekelobi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebele-ekelobi.html
Latest Review: My Life as a Cryptocurrency by April Lee

Post by Ebele Ekelobi »

I'm really not big on TV crime dramas, but I'll check out this one because of your phenomenal review of it. Well done.
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Leokarl wrote: 25 Sep 2022, 02:10 I'm really not big on TV crime dramas, but I'll check out this one because of your phenomenal review of it. Well done.
Thank you for your kind comment.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I enjoy reading crime dramas, so I think I probably would appreciate this book. However, the stories about the abuse of children would really bother me. When I read a fictional novel, I can tell myself that it isn't real. However, when reading about something that truly happened, it is harder to overcome the sadness. So, I am torn. I certainly enjoyed reading your excellent review!
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Those are two of my favorite TV shows and when I read the reference to them, I immediately thought, “YAY!” Unfortunately, I was less than interested in this by the time I finished the review.
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Prisallen wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 08:46 I enjoy reading crime dramas, so I think I probably would appreciate this book. However, the stories about the abuse of children would really bother me. When I read a fictional novel, I can tell myself that it isn't real. However, when reading about something that truly happened, it is harder to overcome the sadness. So, I am torn. I certainly enjoyed reading your excellent review!
I agree with your 100%. I had a hard time with the reality of the situations.
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Amy Luman wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 15:02 Those are two of my favorite TV shows and when I read the reference to them, I immediately thought, “YAY!” Unfortunately, I was less than interested in this by the time I finished the review.
Sorry I raised your hopes and then dashed them. I felt the same way.
Hannah Mae Fabro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-mae-fabro.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Hannah Mae Fabro »

I may not a fan of crime-thriller novels, but the plot of this story sounds great. I might read this book soon so thank you for your informative review.
Chiwelite Obioma Mgbeoji
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwelite-obioma-mgbeoji.html
Latest Review: Choices by Ogonna Juliet Nnamani

Post by Chiwelite Obioma Mgbeoji »

At first, it appeared like I may love the book. However, the negative aspect you mentioned put me off a bit. I am a lover of thrillers, so I will check this out.
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Hannah Mae Fabro wrote: 28 Sep 2022, 03:18 I may not a fan of crime-thriller novels, but the plot of this story sounds great. I might read this book soon so thank you for your informative review.
Since it doesn't actually have a plot, you might enjoy it. Thank you for the comment.
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Chiwelite Obioma Mgbeoji wrote: 28 Sep 2022, 07:30 At first, it appeared like I may love the book. However, the negative aspect you mentioned put me off a bit. I am a lover of thrillers, so I will check this out.
Sometimes the positives outweigh the negatives. I hope you enjoy the book.
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

I'm curious about those ultra-short stories, as it's rare for authors to make that kind of literary choice. However, I'm not keen on reading books full of errors, so I hope the author does proper proofreading. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
R_becca
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by R_becca »

I enjoy reading crime dramas, so I think I'd appreciate this book. Reports of child abuse, on the other hand, would deeply disturb me. I can convince myself that I'm reading a fictional novel when I'm reading it. I greatly enjoyed reading your fantastic review!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”