Review of Before Daylight

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Okorji98
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okorji98.html
Latest Review: The Reason Under fire by Abdulmouti Souwed

Review of Before Daylight

Post by Okorji98 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Before Daylight" by Christopher Knoll.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Four distinct stories make up the fictional story called Before Daylight. The bed thrasher recounts Jenny Sparks's tale, who struggles to fall asleep and sporadically sleepwalks. When Jenny's condition deteriorated, and she almost killed her father while acting out her dreams, Jenny's worried parents scheduled a consultation with Dr. Alexander Weeks. Will Jenny receive a precise diagnosis and treatment from Dr. Weeks?

A mysterious Dr. Arthur Postwaite visits Sandy Hill in the Elixir narrative. He gives five of Sandy Hill's most illustrious men prescriptions for a supposed mystical potion that cures illnesses. The proprietor of the Gold Mine Diner, Ben Brooks, is skeptical about the elixir and thinks Dr. Postwaite is hiding something. Is Dr. Arthur Postwaite a good fit for Ben Brooks' claims? What might be the formula for his magical elixir? To learn more tales and get the answers to this question, I invite you to read Before Daylight by Christopher Knoll.

Christopher Knoll is knowledgeable, I must say. Each of the four stories that make up this book illustrates Knoll's extensive expertise, whether it is in the medical or astronomy fields. In addition to giving us a lengthy and distinctive narrative, Knoll also imparts new knowledge to the readers. His narrative is also based on a very particular perspective that perhaps very few people are aware of or have ever encountered in reality. I'm grateful that this book significantly expands on what I already know. Before Daylight is a literary interpretation of contemporary awareness in the form of stories that might inform readers of potential developments, acting as a heads-up about life, people, and the society in which we live.

Jenny Sparks' tale was my favorite, and she also happens to be my favorite character in this book. Very few people, in my opinion, can connect to Jenny's initial medical problems. I began to think, "no, there's something more to this than the doctor has assumed," as Jenny's symptoms worsened. I kept wondering whether Jenny wanted to get better or not. I didn't let myself relax and read the book peacefully until the true root of Jenny's issue was exposed, so I kept an eye out for it.

The writing style of Knoll is excellent. I can't emphasize enough how thorough his descriptions are. Because three of the stories were written in the third person, the entire scene is depicted as it is happening. Because of Knoll's narration, the situations in this book played out like movies. Therefore having a creative imagination should be the least of your concerns. No character felt superfluous, and all of the characters in this book were realistic. Each of them contributed significantly to the success of the story.

The conclusion of the first two stories is the only thing, though, that I didn't like. I want to think that the rest of the story would be explained in a sequel. I didn't dislike anything else about this book except that. I found only a few errors in the entire book while reading it. It was professionally edited. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because my sole disappointment does not diminish the book's substantial value.

Since this book covers many forensic works, including medical terms and conditions, I recommend it to readers who enjoy thrillers, forensics, and the medical field.

Before Daylight
View: on Bookshelves
maycherono91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maycherono91.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by maycherono91 »

Great review. I would like to know if the book has repeated themes across the four stories.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I usually don’t like short stories because I think the lack sufficient character development. These, however, seem to really bring alive those involved. I think the vivid descriptions probably add to the stories.
Nwoko E
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwoko-e.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nwoko E »

Christopher Knoll is knowledgeable, I must say. Each of the four stories that make up this book illustrates Knoll's extensive expertise. Great review and I cant Wait to add this book to my shelf. Well done.
CrossK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crossk.html
Latest Review: Re-Making the American Dream by David Vaught

Post by CrossK »

The writing style of Knoll is excellent. I can't emphasize enough how thorough his descriptions are. Because three of the stories were written in the third person, the entire scene is depicted as it is happening. Great book.
Israel10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-israel10.html
Latest Review: Creating Wellbeing and Building Resilience in the Veterinary Profession by Sonja A. Olson, DVM

Post by Israel10 »

Jenny Sparks' tale was my favorite, and she also happens to be my favorite character in this book. Very few people, in my opinion, can connect to Jenny's initial medical problems. Great book.
Ekezie1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekezie1998.html
Latest Review: life lessons of wayne by shawn wayne swearingen

Post by Ekezie1998 »

Because of Knoll's narration, the situations in this book played out like movies. Therefore having a creative imagination should be the least of your concerns. This is a great book and I can’t wait to read it.
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kennedy NC »

I'm grateful that this book significantly expands on what I already know. Before Daylight is a literary interpretation of contemporary awareness in the form of stories that might inform readers of potential developments, acting as a heads-up about life, people, and the society. Great review.
Prosper2000
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prosper2000.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Prosper2000 »

Jenny Sparks' tale was my favorite, and she also happens to be my favorite character in this book. Very few people, in my opinion, can connect to Jenny's initial medical problems. This looks like a very great book and I can't wait to read it.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Killing Machine
Bookshelf Size: 428
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by NetMassimo »

Four stories that offer thriller with an important forensic element. This can be interesting in well-constructed stories, as these ones seem. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”