Review of Vincible: In the Wake of a Serial Killer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Andrada Madalina
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrada-madalina.html
Latest Review: The Butterfly Cage by Rachel Zemach
Reading Device: B014LQ6EKI

Review of Vincible: In the Wake of a Serial Killer

Post by Andrada Madalina »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Vincible: In the Wake of a Serial Killer" by Gail Winegar.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Vincible: In the Wake of a Serial Killer by Gail Winegar is a crime book that emphasizes a master of manipulation, his interpretations of people's actions, and the traumas of his victims. It presents the violent crimes of a serial killer and the consequences of his terrible actions. Also, the novel illustrates themes such as family life, violence, and murder.

Briefly, the story unfolds around Vincent Padilla, a brilliant man with a criminal record and psychotic behavior. Being considered a dead man by the police for a long time, he tries to keep a low profile while he is manipulating the people around him and taking advantage of their vulnerabilities. The action dramatically escalates when Vince befriends Axel Johnston and starts playing with his family.

Apart from the protagonist's inhuman behavior, I did not dislike anything about this book. I liked the descriptive writing style and was intrigued by the blending of mystery and horror. I was captivated by the compelling plot and Vince's true nature, and the turn of events shocked me. For example, I was always curious about his decisions and how they would influence the lives of all the characters gradually presented by Gail Winegar. Also, I appreciated that Vincible: In the Wake of a Serial Killer taught me a valuable lesson not to be too trusting and not to let anyone manipulate me for any reason.

Another positive aspect of this book is character development. The author did a remarkable job in portraying each character's dominant characteristics and mindset. No matter how much I tried to understand Vince's psychotic behavior, I could only feel repulsion towards his crazy pleasure of observing the dynamics of Alex's family and his performances in front of people while he was playing with their emotions. For instance, I found his threats to Amanda, Axel's elder sister, disgusting and his behavior towards animals repugnant. Also, I empathized with Amanda's inner struggles and desire to protect her twin daughters and brother from Vince, and I appreciated her courage to fight the predator.

The storytelling and characterization were impeccable, and I appreciated that Gail Winegar captured the different facets of human nature. I was intrigued by Vince's irony and strange meticulousness in reviewing his every action despite his heinous behavior and moments of madness. The dramatic changes in the dynamics of each family and the disturbing scenes of violence left me speechless. I only rate this book 3 out of 4 stars because it was not professionally edited. I discovered many punctuation errors and misspelled names of the characters.

I recommend this book to fans of crime novels with complex characters and compelling plots, especially those interested in the behavior of a serial killer. It is perfect for those who want to read a story whose protagonist has unpredictable actions and cannot be figured out but not for those sensitive to brutal deaths and torture scenes. Also, Vincible: In the Wake of a Serial Killer is suitable for a mature audience due to its non-borderline profanity and light erotic content.

Vincible: In the Wake of a Serial Killer
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Killing Machine
Bookshelf Size: 428
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by NetMassimo »

A well-constructed serial killer always gives you a chill and makes an engaging story, so I'm intrigued by this novel that explores some dark sides of humanity. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”