Review of Annabel Langoni

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shelby Ayres
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelby-ayres.html
Latest Review: The Wrong Side of the Room by Norman Mathews

Review of Annabel Langoni

Post by Shelby Ayres »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Annabel Langoni" by Eliza Wyatt.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Annabel Langoni Fuego is an English woman that married an American, Ed. She immigrated from her country to live in the United States with her husband. Vivien, Annabel’s mother, commits suicide, and Annabel is forced to go back to London to take care of her remains, hold her funeral, and deal with her estate. She goes to her mother’s house and heads down the basement stairs when suddenly, she catches a wire on one of the steps, and concrete is raining down on her. Annabel sustains many head injuries. She then is in a hospital, and her consciousness leaves her body behind and travels back in time. Will Annabel find out what happened to her birth father, or will it all still be a mystery? Some say you shouldn’t ask a question if you aren’t ready for the answer. Will Annabel be ready for the answers she receives?

I enjoyed the emotions in the book. They were almost palpable and felt entirely real. I also loved the relationship between Annabel and her father. Their newfound relationship made me think of my own relationship between my father and me. The number of details the author put into the book was also incredible. I was easily able to visualize and follow along with the story as it played out.

I dislike when authors use apostrophes instead of quotation marks to indicate dialogue. I often find that the dialogue gets lost when it is not marked clearly. I think apostrophes get hidden in text easily. But this issue is a style choice, and I cannot fault the author for writing in their style.

I have rated Annabel Langoni by Eliza Wyatt 3 out of 4 stars. This book was a great read; it kept me engaged from start to finish. The book had a great number of details that helped me not only follow along but also imagine the surroundings and characters. Unfortunately, I found quite a lot of spelling and grammatical errors. Because of the errors, I was unable to give the full rating. Had the book been professionally edited, I would have no reason but to give the book the full rating that it deserved.

I would recommend this book to anyone who people who enjoy mysteries and thrillers. People who enjoy suspense and time travel would also enjoy this read. Talks of rape, so people who are sensitive to that should take that into account when reading. Suicide is mentioned in the book, so people who are sensitive to that topic should use discretion.

Annabel Langoni
View: on Bookshelves
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Wow! You never know what you're going to find, do you? The thing about her mother's house sure makes me think. I'm sorry there were so many errors.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”