Review of Pigeons Do Talk

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gavice Victoria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gavice-v.html
Latest Review: Where Liberty Lies by Nathaniel M Wrey

Review of Pigeons Do Talk

Post by Gavice Victoria »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Pigeons Do Talk" by Tony Wilson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Danielle works at RAID HQ (Research, Assistance, Intervention, Dissuasion). At RAID, their job is to watch for acts of terrorism or kidnapping and respond to them on behalf of the countries that are a part of it. The ISIL group headed by Tariq has kidnapped Rochine, her parents, and her governess. A message was sent to RAID for ransom and other demands that needed to be met; if not, they would kill the family. The day this message for the ransom came in, Trump had won the presidential election over Hillary. Everyone at RAID was strongly rooting for Hillary to win, especially Danielle, because if Trump won, it would adversely affect the operations at RAID and, subsequently, her income. As the message from the terrorists came in, she quickly saved it to a hard drive and deleted it from the system. She plans to handle this case and free Rochine's family. Will Danielle be successful in this mission? Why did Tariq order the kidnapping of Rochine's family?

As an underground operation, Danielle was into girl trafficking and abuse as a business. She and her associates would take girls, mainly immigrants, refugees, and orphans. There are girls who are running from abuse, only to be introduced to a different level of abuse. But with Danielle's mission to save Rochine and her family, this slave trading business undergoes a series of changes.

Pigeons Do Talk by Tony Wilson is set in 2016, during the period when Trump and Hillary were contesting elections for the seat of POTUS. The kidnappers and traffickers use pigeons to send messages.

There are some positive aspects to this book that I took note of. First, this book concentrates on different characters at different times, making it easier to get to know them individually and connect to them. Second, the author tactically told a story with many fronts, each well connected to the others. There are fronts at ISIL, RAID, the monastery, and finally, the police department. Starting out, you would think that this book is a conventional terrorist story, but what you will discover later will leave you speechless. Another thing I love about this book is that Tony Wilson knows when to give details and when to withhold them. For a long time in the book, I wanted to make sure that what I was thinking was what was actually happening ( when it came to Danielle, the monastery, and the schools). More than anything else, this held my attention in the book. Therefore, I commend the author for this tactic. Also, the author often gives out exclusive information about pigeons, which is one of the things I love most about the book. I didn't know that pigeons mate for life and could breed up to eight times a year. This book taught me that.

There are some things I did not like about the book. First, the table of contents was on the last pages of the book. It was hard navigating around the book since I had to go all the way down to find the table of contents. Second, this book was a bit hard to read. Some sentences that full stops should have separated were separated by commas instead, thereby making them too long. Also, the book starts well with the story of Rochine and her family. But when it got to Dannielle, RAID, and the monastery, there was some initial friction in following up as the first-person point of view was often mixed with the third person, thereby getting me confused. Sometimes, new characters are mentioned as if they had initially been introduced. Also, I encountered some errors while reading it. I would suggest that it go through another round of editing. Because of these negative aspects, I am rating this book 3 out of 4 stars. Some negative aspects are minor, and the positive ones weigh more.

If you like to read books about airplanes and pilots, then you will love Pigeons Do Talk by Tony Wilson. Also, this is a book about kidnapping, girl trafficking, terrorism, investigations, etc. If these themes entice you, then I would recommend this book to you. However, this book contains violence, bombings, extreme sexual content, and trafficking. If you do not like reading about any of these, then you might want to skip this book.

Pigeons Do Talk
View: on Bookshelves
FunkyFlowerLady
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

the title is kinda funny, nonetheless the summary has made an impactful opinion on me. Your review is very articulate, well done.
Wren Michaels
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wren-michaels.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Wren Michaels »

The book title is very ‘grabbing.’ Well done on your well-written review
Kenneth Onyenwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenneth-onyenwe.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Kenneth Onyenwe »

I will read "Pigeons Do Talk" by Tony Wilson, just know what Tariq will gain by kidnaping Rochine, her parents, and her governess. You write well.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I find the use of pigeons to send messages a bit antiquated. Surely there was a better way. Still, the story sounds very interesting, but I am uncomfortable with sexual content of any kind.
Agbata Charles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-agbata-1.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Agbata Charles »

Your review is technical and has captivated me. I think this will be a great read for me. Congrats on your published review
Charles Jeremiah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-jeremiah.html
Latest Review: Now I See by Sandra Leon Gonzalez

Post by Charles Jeremiah »

Sensing the terrorism theme here. Your introduction is intriguing but I've never really been interested in such books. But as you said, this book is not centered on terrorism so that's a positive side. Nice review.
Agbata Charles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-agbata-1.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Agbata Charles »

Pigeons do talk? I will love to read this book from the title. Although I am surprised that this kind of thriller book was given this title. Great review anyway
Ben Filla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben-filla.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by Ben Filla »

The title of the book might be misleading a bit. However, I guess this is a book on terrorism. Books on terrorism are always fascinating.
Moo Reny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moo-reny.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Moo Reny »

I like that this book concentrates on different characters at different times, making it easier to get to know them individually and connect to them. Most books do not concentrate on the characters and I commend the author for that.
Amy Toria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-tor.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Amy Toria »

Pigeons Do Talk by Tony Wilson has an interesting storyline and I love how you summarized it. However, I will not like to read it because of the themes. I enjoyed reading this review because of the details your provided and your honesty. Good job!
Victoria Ukamaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-ukamaka.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Victoria Ukamaka »

There was an era in human history when pigeons were majorly used as means of sending messages for long distances. I have seen a lot of movies where this fact was represented. I am interested in reading this book took. I sometimes wonder if pigeons have higher intelligence when compared to other birds. I hope I find the answer to my curiosity in this book. Adding Pigeons Do Talk by Tony Wilson to my bookshelf right away!
Amandaruth Ama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iam-ama.html
Latest Review: The Curse of Northam Bay by Keith F Girard

Post by Amandaruth Ama »

It's clear that you really enjoyed the book, and I can't wait to get the opportunity to read it myself. If not for those initial frictions that you mentioned, I think you would have enjoyed it more. I'm sure it will be just as captivating and engaging as you described. Your review of the book was fantastic. I loved the way you expressed your thoughts on the book's characters, themes, and plot. By the way, what is the motivation behind placing table of contents at the end of a book?
Grace Lee Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-lee-rose.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Grace Lee Rose »

In the current era we are in, we don't use pigeons to send out messages anymore. The level of technological development allows humans to send encrypted messages that can't be decrypted easily. Nonetheless, the storyline is promising.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

Despite the flaws you pointed out, this seems like an engaging thriller and I don't mind some brutal bits if they're a part of the plot. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”