Review of Lydia's Blue Rolls-Royce

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chimomaebuka Ejimchi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimomaebuka-ejimchi.html
Latest Review: The Guardians of Earea by E.J. Denman

Review of Lydia's Blue Rolls-Royce

Post by Chimomaebuka Ejimchi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lydia's Blue Rolls-Royce" by Dennis F Killeen.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lydia’s Blue Rolls-Royce is a classic and very natural story of love, lust, corporate espionage, and everything in between. It follows the romantic and somewhat unlikely union of Lydia Krabclaw, who has run away from her cheating husband and is now running from the law, and Linc, a philandering facilitator who has a thing for blondes. Linc finds himself drawn to Lydia and offers his help to her when he finds out how much trouble she's in. Lydia has been kicked out of her home, stripped of all her wealth, and is trying to escape with the Rolls-Royce she ran away in. Her prospects look bleak, especially as she refuses to give up the Rolls Royce. Linc, for his part, can't seem to keep Lydia out of his mind. Their uncanny union will leave both of them changed forever and will birth new love between them.

My greatest positive about this story is how naturally the relationship between Linc and Lydia progresses. Aside from the rather unorthodox nature of their encounter, the rest of their story and relationship develops quite believably. Neither party is overly attracted to the other, and there are no sudden inexplicable bursts of emotion from or toward either party. Both of them are attracted to one another but are able to place this attraction in context to a considerable degree. In a world in which romance in literature is often overrun with thoroughly unrealistic relationships and suddenly overwhelming emotions, I found this more casual approach quite refreshing.

This leads me to what I believe is this book's drawback. While the romance of our main characters moves at an appreciable pace, I find the pace of the overall story to be rather slow. The development of the interactions of characters such as Laura Baines and Walter Krabclaw occurs with little pomp or build-up, considering how important these characters are to the storyline. This, in addition to the editing, which seems to employ the plainest language in describing scenarios, serves to make the book feel more like a report than a work of fiction. This writing style works quite well for the main characters but is overused in the rest of the story in the long run. Also, the book was not professionally edited.

This book is 395 pages long, including the epilogue and other ancillary pages. It contains 58 chapters and is a fictional work with a slightly romantic theme. The writer, Dennis F. Killeen, worked in computerized business and security systems for fifty years and has written several newspaper articles and some poetry in the past.

This book contains no religiously biased or focused material. I rate it 3 out of 4 stars. I deducted a star because of the negative aspects I mentioned above. The book was a thrilling read. Hence, I could not deduct any other star.

I recommend this book to anyone interested in classic or light romance novels, as well as those interested in corporate fiction.

Lydia's Blue Rolls-Royce
View: on Bookshelves
Robinlloyd17
Currently Reading: Fair cronies and felonies
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robinlloyd17.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Robinlloyd17 »

Online Book Club has done it again for me! I don't normally read romance stories but reading this review makes me quite curious about this book. I'm going to add this to my bookshelf!
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I am really not interested in romance, but Lincoln and Lydia sound like great characters. I would also like to know what ledLydia to run away from her previous life. It’s too bad that this was not edited better.
Wren Michaels
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wren-michaels.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Wren Michaels »

I would like to read about the two main character's dynamic together. I really do enjoy romance novels if done well. Great review.
Roy Nick
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Post by Roy Nick »

I find the book unnecessarily long, though your review makes it rather interesting. Should I consider reading and reviewing it, it'll be courtesy of your impeccable review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

Romance is not my thing but a relationship that goes beyond some cheesy stuff you read too often is a plus in what seems like Lydia's engaging story. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”