Review of Murder Can Be Fatal

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
abstactlemon
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-onwuanaku.html
Latest Review: Mindsponge Theory by Quan-Hoang Vuong

Review of Murder Can Be Fatal

Post by abstactlemon »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Murder Can Be Fatal" by Kevin Scott Allen.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Igg Downs is a washed-out private investigator who gets a bit in over his head after he picks up a new job. It’s his first case involving a dead body because he usually doesn’t take jobs along this track. Something along the lines of chasing lost pets or spying on cheating partners is more up his alley. He was hired by Frankie, a teenage girl, to help find her Uncle Carlos. However, Carlos is dead when they find him. It’s made to look like suicide, but Igg doesn’t believe it, and neither does Frankie, so they decide to keep pushing. Igg faces trials and obstacles in his path, especially a vindictive LAPD officer named Jake after Igg slept with his ex-wife. Can he find out what truly happened and keep his head on his shoulders? Murder Can Be Fatal by Kevin Scott Allen is the only way to find out.

One standout thing I have to mention about this book is its humor. I cannot overstate my words when I say this is one of the funniest things I’ve read all year. Allen found the perfect way to integrate the comic aspects into what would otherwise be a very dark book by choosing Igg as the protagonist. The book somehow manages to balance themes of murder and severity with funny names for characters and sarcastic jokes. Although the two books are very dissimilar, it brings back memories of reading Jim Butcher’s Dresden Files.

The book is also very fast-paced and on the shorter side, so it’s easy to burn through in a sitting or two. Speaking of the size, I’m amazed at how much character development Allen managed to pack in. No character felt two-dimensional or flat; their motivations and goals were very clearly conveyed.

I would have to nitpick to talk about the negatives, as I thoroughly enjoyed this novel. Igg, on the other hand, is rough around the edges, particularly in his point of view. I liked his character as a whole; his arc was fantastic and engaging. However, he was a little too characterful sometimes, which took me out of some scenes. Again, I’m nitpicking, but this is a very dialogue-heavy book, and I often found myself trying to get the layout of the space the characters were in. However, none of this was enough to deter my enjoyment, so I have to give this book 4 out of 4 stars.

It’s extremely well executed, especially considering this is Allen’s debut novel, from what I understand. I’m excited to see where his writing goes if this is the beginning. I’m also excited to see the rest of the Igg Downs series. I would recommend this to fans of mystery, particularly those who enjoy fiction involving private investigators. Great read.

Murder Can Be Fatal
View: on Bookshelves
it is what it is ....
CrossK
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crossk.html
Latest Review: Re-Making the American Dream by David Vaught

Post by CrossK »

One standout thing I have to mention about this book is its humor. I cannot overstate my words when I say this is one of the funniest things I’ve read all year. Great book.
Ignesta Ignetius
Currently Reading: A Dream for Peace
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ignesta-ignetius.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Ignesta Ignetius »

A thriller with well developed, well rounded characters packed with humor! Now, that's something I'd love to read. Your review did justice to this book and increased my interest in wanting to read this book. Great review 👍.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Murder mysteries are just about my favorite kinds of books to read. I like detective novels and the humor incorporated into this, makes it that much more intriguing. If the rest of the Igg Downs novels are like this one, I believe I’ve found a new series.
Annas Felix
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annas-felix.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Annas Felix »

The book's title says a lot about what to expect. I will love to see how fatal the murder in this book was.
Faruqinspired
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faruqinspired.html
Latest Review: Final Act by Van Fleisher

Post by Faruqinspired »

Given that, from what I understand, this is Allen's first novel, it was really nicely done. If this is only the beginning, I'm interested to see where his writing goes.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

Initially, Igg's backstory made me think of a thriller with noir overtones but the humor seems predominant for a funny mystery. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”