Review of Hidden Behind the Robe

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Marsha JJ
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: On the Precipice of the Labyrinth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marsha-jj.html
Latest Review: Tyler's Promised Gift by M. C. Abushar

Review of Hidden Behind the Robe

Post by Marsha JJ »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Hidden Behind the Robe" by Matt Graham.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Hidden Behind the Robe provides a fascinating look behind the scenes of the criminal justice system in Van Nuys, an area north of Los Angeles. Author Matt Graham leverages his long career in the criminal justice system to share stories of sexual escapades behind closed doors, brawls in the courtroom, accusations of racism, and more. There’s never a dull moment in this highly entertaining book.

The narrative begins with an investigation by one judge into another. Judge Charles Dunning, the supervising judge in the Van Nuys courthouse, received an anonymous letter accusing another judge of sexual misconduct. It’s clear that something is going on behind closed doors, and Dunning is determined to solve it. He gets the court’s security officer involved, and together they come up with a clever scheme to catch the culprit. However, they encounter some challenges along the way. It’s an interesting storyline that kept me guessing what would happen next. In the book's second half, we’re introduced to Aaron Dawson, a journalism student who shows up to get some material for his school project at the Van Nuys courthouse. He’s a likable character who finds himself becoming more immersed in the activities there than he bargained for.

I found Hidden Behind the Robe to be a unique and absorbing read. It’s always fun to get a look behind the scenes of a situation, and this story didn’t disappoint in that regard. It grabbed my attention right away. I enjoyed reading about the colorful characters in Judge Dunning’s courtroom. I also liked how his character was portrayed. He’s an intelligent, steady individual who must deal with all sorts of mayhem under his watch. He successfully navigates some tricky situations, until suddenly he finds himself involved in a very personal one. The author was successful in engaging the reader in the stories of each of the characters. It’s a fast-paced book with a great flow.

I don’t have any negative comments about the writing. It’s great exactly as it is. The only minor issue I found was the formatting of my PDF version of the book. It was laid out as two pages side by side rather than in a single-page format. This made it slightly distracting to read. This won’t be an issue for readers who have a normal print version or a digital copy of the book.

Overall, I thought this was an excellent book. It was also exceptionally well edited. I rate it 5 out of 5 stars. This is a terrific book that you won’t want to put down. I would love to read more books by this talented author.

I recommend Hidden Behind the Robe to anyone interested in the legal system. I also recommend it to those who simply enjoy great stories. The book is intended for mature adult readers. If you’re curious about what goes on behind closed doors at a courthouse, you’re going to love this book.

Hidden Behind the Robe
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Is this nonfiction? If so, that makes it much more interesting. You are right I enjoy looking behind the scene, especially when I’m really not supposed to know what’s happening.
Mercy Sos Christopher
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-sos-christopher.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Mercy Sos Christopher »

The plot and storyline are so intriguing and I am already seeing myself reading it. Thanks for the well summarized review, I enjoyed every sentence.
Sinovuyo Sithole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sinovuyo-sithole.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Sinovuyo Sithole »

Ahh! I’m so intrigued! I have to get my hands on this book. Thank you for the well-detailed review.
Freeman99
Currently Reading: What Would The Founding Fathers Tell Us Today?
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Freeman99 »

What a great read, I'm in love with this book. I recommend the book to anyone interested in legal terminologies.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intriguing thriller that shows what can happen behind the usual courtroom activity. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Blackstenius
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Magician's Secret
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackstenius.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Post by Blackstenius »

From your review, the book sparks my interest, as it sounds like it's filled with suspense and never-ending action, just what I like in a book. I'd love to follow Judge Dunning, the court's security and Aaron Dawson as they try to catch the culprit (s). Excellent review.
The gift turned out to be a curse. They killed him with kindness.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”