Review of Priscilla

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mercy Udeokeke
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-udeokeke.html
Latest Review: Mothers Vol. 1 by Ben Burgess Jr.

Review of Priscilla

Post by Mercy Udeokeke »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Priscilla" by M. J. Simms-Maddox.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Nelson, a preacher, is the father of Miss Prissy, also named Priscilla. Of all his children, Miss Prissy is his favorite. She loves politics and went to college to study it, which was unusual for a woman to do in the 1980s, when women were still attempting to be independent. Miss Prissy is a strong-willed woman who firmly believes that women have the right to equal treatment and that they are capable of doing anything. She is self-driven and excels in every endeavor she undertakes. She received an impromptu call from her dad pleading with her to quit her job as a professor at Florida A&M University and be close to home. Why would her father request such a big favor from her? You can find out more by reading this fascinating book.

My favorite character in this book is Miss Prissy. I admire the relationship she has with her father. Given how much he cares for her, her father would do anything for her. He was a big father figure in Miss Prissy's life, and she was always at his beck and call. She also held her father in high regard and considered him to be the perfect father. No one is flawless, so her mother and siblings advised her not to have an upbeat attitude toward life because no one is perfect. Later in the novel, she ran afoul of their advice and was in hot water. The events that followed with the reverend hurt me and broke my heart.

The book's depictions of family, love, politics, and numerous other important themes will hold readers' interest. The topic of politics brings out Miss Prissy's interest in and involvement in politics. She is well-known for her political prowess as a woman and excels in her position as a legislative assistant for Ohio State Senator Daniel P. Callahan. She behaved in a way that earned my respect and admiration for how she handled a huge offer. This is the story of a black woman who broke stereotypes as a young woman in her 20s and continued to achieve amazing things, despite the fact that few women were seen in prominent positions in the 1980s. I was motivated and affirmed in my opinion that success is not gender-specific after reading this book. In spite of the fact that there are thousands of males majoring in political science, Miss Prissy was one of the very few women who chose to study it in college. Such a course is seen as being entirely for men during that era.

I didn't find anything in this book to be objectionable. The author's writing style is excellent, eloquently capturing the political landscape of Ohio, the love between a father and child, and family lifestyle. The speed and flow of the storyline are both well organized. The vocabulary is simple to understand. As a result, I rate M. J. Simms-Maddox's captivating story titled Priscilla five out of five stars.

The book is exceptionally well edited. I found no errors in it. I recommend this book to readers who love novels about politics and family. I look forward to reading the next installment of this book.

Priscilla
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

Priscilla leaving her job is a great request from her Dad. I hope to read the book to find out why he would ask of such from his beloved daughter, and if she will grant his request. Wonderful review welldone!!!
Blessing Chi Peculiar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-chi-peculiar.html
Latest Review: Maria Tunicka Conductor by James Aiello

Post by Blessing Chi Peculiar »

I can see the love of the father in this book. But I don't think that father should have a favorite because it will cause other children to dislike that particular one.
Jay David Randall
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-david-randall.html
Latest Review: Scrooge's Folly - Saving Jacob Marley by David Jay Weinberg

Post by Jay David Randall »

There have been tremendous changes in a century and I am glad women have an equal right to education in this generation. Nice review.
"Keep your face always toward the sunshine, and shadows will fall behind you."Walt Whitman :tiphat:
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Temi Book »

I’m glad that Prissy has thought of it to be different from other people. All successful changes come from the mind. It tells the state of her mind. Great review!
Deb Dibs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deb-dibs.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by Deb Dibs »

At my first glance at the title, something about it made me want to read and after reading the review to know the strong personality behind the name, I'm attracted even more to it.
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
Chika Eleanor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chika-eleanor.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Chika Eleanor »

I love Prissy of being a strong woman and her believe that every woman should be given an equal treatment. Am eager to know why her father would tell her to quit her job.
Moo Reny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moo-reny.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Moo Reny »

The character miss Prissy sounds very interesting Miss Prissy is a strong-willed woman who firmly believes that women have the right to equal treatment and that they are capable of doing anything. She is self-driven and excels in every endeavor she undertakes. That's great
Okonobe Chioma Chukwuma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okonobe-chioma-chukwuma.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Okonobe Chioma Chukwuma »

I already have a favorite character from your review, and that is miss prissy. I admire the father-and-daughter relationship they shared. your review is nice.
Adeolaoskydeelight
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adeolaoskydeelight.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Adeolaoskydeelight »

I love Prissy's boldness and her believe which helped her excel in her endeavor. It's a great virtue to learn from. Wonderful review
Chinenye Achilike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinenye-achilike.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
2024 Reading Goal: 10
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Chinenye Achilike »

I love stories about fearless women who are goal-getters, and this one is exceptional because it's about a black woman. I wonder if the close relationship with her father helped her on this path.
Proof Readar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-proof-readar.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Proof Readar »

The request from Prissy's father could have serious consequences. The review pressnt the book mouth-watering.
Ekaete Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekaete-bruno.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Ekaete Bruno »

There's only one thing to see in Miss Prissy, and that is her strong sharwill. She was dedicated to what she believed in and that's something good.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

Some important social issues are addressed in this novel that are still topical today despite the progress we had in recent decades. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”