Review of White's Tavern

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Roy Nick
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Review of White's Tavern

Post by Roy Nick »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "White's Tavern" by Jim Altfeld.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In White's Tavern, Jim Altfeld brings into focus an old bar that accommodated all sorts of people: drug dealers, heavy drunkards, murderers, and other criminals, both ill and reformed. Beyond the dilapidated state of the tavern lay humorous dialogues, sarcasm, business plans (both legal and rogue), etc. We learn about Bill and how he served time when he was sixteen for the crime committed. Plus, we understand why he had an estranged relationship with his son.

Through dialogues, the author brings to attention how mobs died from shootings. Also, how money, relationships, or togetherness could buy you prestige and societal security. Earl owned the rickety tavern and made pocket change as profit. Thus, his wife insisted on leaving the ramshackle business for a new beginning. However, Earl was more than okay with tolerating messes and fights from the drunks and drug users. Did the tavern stand the test of time?

I loved how the book gave historical dates of events. For instance, the author would mention that one of the Touhy brothers was shot dead in 1929. Then there is information about the town’s traditions. In addition, we have the authenticity of the characters. They used profane language in each dialogue, like most local drunkards.

I enjoyed Bill's conversations and history. He served time and was not afraid of cops, fights, or a gun pointed at him. Petty confrontations and drunkards passing out after heavy drinking in the tavern were common. Even Earl did not mind the entire jumble. The regulars knew each other so well that no one cared when the other messed the floor with urine or vomit.

I didn't enjoy some scientific explanations about the earth and excerpts from different philosophers. Most were overwhelming and unnecessary. Hence, I rate White's Tavern 4 out of 5 stars. With that said, I only noted a few grammatical flaws. Therefore, it is well edited.

Since the legendary tavern is located in the Chicago area, you may think the happenings will go over your head. It's the exact opposite, where the explanations leave with an ideal picture of the small town and mobs. There's not too much of one element, be it sarcasm, family dynamics, or politics. Jim Altfeld maintained an okay pace in the plot, as the work is not action-packed or a crime thriller. Besides noting how ruining alcohol can be, there is an abundance of looking out for oneself because things can get ugly. I recommend the book to anyone interested in a fictional novel inspired by real-life events and places.

White's Tavern
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Grace Elkana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-elkana.html
Latest Review: Humanity Works Better by Debbie Cohen, Kate Roeske-Zummer

Post by Grace Elkana »

I think the historical accuracy of this book will make it worth the read. Every other aspect can find relevance around this fact.
CrossK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crossk.html
Latest Review: Re-Making the American Dream by David Vaught

Post by CrossK »

In addition, we have the authenticity of the characters. They used profane language in each dialogue, like most local drunkards. Great book.
Annas Felix
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annas-felix.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Annas Felix »

It takes a great deal of research to get your facts straight, especially dates of events that you didn't witness. I think the author excelled in that.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I don’t think that I’ll be reading this one. It appears that there are too many stories being told at the same time.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

It's curious to see scientific and philosophical bits in this kind of novel. Realistic characters and settings are more like it and surely they're the strong parts of this novel. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”