Review of Last Shadow of the Crown

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 296
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: MISNEACH, The Story of Flora MacDonald by K.L. Huntley
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Review of Last Shadow of the Crown

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Last Shadow of the Crown" by Mardi Lynn Roselius.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Last Shadow of the Crown by Mardi Lynn Roselius is a fascinating novel filled with mystery and intrigue. The story takes place in Iran during the 1970s. Iran was governed by the Shah at that time and was an ally of the United States of America. When the Shah decided to expand Iran’s military, America provided helicopters and a training center that employed American pilots and mechanics. During the late 1970s, Iran began to have internal conflicts between pro-Shah citizens and fundamentalists who were against the Shah. This led to violence and the safety of Americans living in Iran became uncertain. It was during this time that Carter McBride arrived in Iran to work as a photographer at one of the training facilities.

Carter McBride was previously employed as a photographer with the Newark police department. After a particularly gruesome crime scene that impacted him on a personal level, he decided to leave his position for something dramatically different. When he arrived in Iran, his first assignment was to photograph the location of a helicopter crash. Carter learned that he replaced the deceased man as the photographer assigned to this training facility. Carter’s background in investigations and his curious mind led him to question several unusual occurrences at the facility. Carter does not know who he can trust as he delves into the mysteries surrounding him. There is never a dull moment in this fast-paced thriller.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. It kept me guessing until the very end. The author created a suspenseful story that kept me engaged and interested. I particularly liked Carter’s backstory. His experience with the police department explained his inquisitive nature and need to investigate. Carter becomes a sympathetic and relatable character as readers learn more about his history. I enjoyed the characters in this book immensely. They were multi-dimensional and interesting. Each character had a unique perspective and added to the story. I also loved the mysteries involved and how they gradually unraveled. There was nothing that I disliked about this book.

The author worked as a graphic designer in Esfahan, Iran for two years. This provided her with a unique perspective on the history of Iran. She provides details about the people and the locations that are realistic and help readers to visualize the locations with ease. She also included some terms in the native language of Farsi. This added to the realistic aspects of the story. In addition to the mysteries and fast-paced action of the story, there is also a romantic aspect to the book. When Carter meets the beautiful Leyla, he learns more about the customs of Iran. As readers, we learn more about the country and its people as she explains things to Carter.

I highly recommend this book to readers who enjoy fast-paced thrillers or mystery novels. It will also appeal to fans of crime or romance novels. There were very few errors in the book, so I believe it was professionally edited. I like the author’s writing style and intend to read more of her books. For the reasons stated, I give this book a rating of 5 out of 5 stars. I would not rate it any less than a perfect score because it was beautifully written and interesting. It also maintained the suspense and mystery until the end of the story.

Last Shadow of the Crown
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
CrossK
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crossk.html
Latest Review: Re-Making the American Dream by David Vaught

Post by CrossK »

I enjoyed the characters in this book immensely. They were multi-dimensional and interesting. Each character had a unique perspective and added to the story. I also loved the mysteries involved and how they gradually unraveled. Great plot.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I do believe that this will be an interesting novel. Carter’s choice to change locations of his profession is an understandable one. He seems to have jumped from the frying pan into the fire, however.
Ignesta Ignetius
Currently Reading: A Dream for Peace
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ignesta-ignetius.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Ignesta Ignetius »

This book looks like one of those that will make a great action thriller movie with slices of crime and romance. Great review 👍.
Faruqinspired
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faruqinspired.html
Latest Review: Final Act by Van Fleisher

Post by Faruqinspired »

I had a great time reading this book. Right up until the very end, it had me guessing. I was captivated and interested by the author's thrilling plot.
Annas Felix
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annas-felix.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Annas Felix »

Suspenseful stories are great to read. I like the fact that the author uses backstories to build up the story.
Marsha Dell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marsha-dell.html
Latest Review: Dagger's Destiny by Linnea Tanner

Post by Marsha Dell »

Great review, I am totally intrigued and want to read this book.
Opara Jerry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-opara-jerry.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Opara Jerry »

I appreciate how each character brings a distinct viewpoint and a distinctive flavor to the story. In addition, I enjoyed how the plot a And it’s mystery developed over time. Because this review was thoughtful and well-written, I thank the reviewer. I think readers will find this book interesting.
Opara Jerry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-opara-jerry.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Opara Jerry »

Faruqinspired wrote: 30 Dec 2022, 13:22 I had a great time reading this book. Right up until the very end, it had me guessing. I was captivated and interested by the author's thrilling plot.
Totally agree with you mate!
This is a really good one that a lot of people will enjoy
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

A mystery set in Iran during the years that preceded the Islamic revolution is intriguing, also for the insights about the situation in the country during that complex period. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Shedrack A
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shedrack-a.html
Latest Review: The Kurrus Khronicles by J. S. Lowman

Post by Shedrack A »

This book has a lot of mystery to be unraveled. Great review!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”