Review of Footsteps in the Dark - Stories of the bizarre and unusual

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Judy O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy-o.html
Latest Review: Granite Kingdom by Eric Pope

Review of Footsteps in the Dark - Stories of the bizarre and unusual

Post by Judy O »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Footsteps in the Dark - Stories of the bizarre and unusual" by Carlo Armenise.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Footsteps in the Dark - Stories of the bizarre and unusual by Carlo Armenise is a collection of short stories denoting some uncommon occurrences. The book has eight stories written as steps following the title. In the first story, Jeremy Ward has just lost his wife to the cold hands of a serial killer who kills his victims for sport. With the help of the dead and the police, Jeremy enters a race against time to stop the serial killer before he claims his next victim.

Moving onto the next step, we are dragged into the world of Mona Moore, a gorgeous actress whose quest for eternal beauty leads her down a treacherous path in which the audience is left to wonder if love will be her savior. Another would be the case of the coin collector, a story that evokes the typical saying, "Be careful what you wish for." In this story, Marvin Thomas led a very nice life; he had a lot of money and a passion he loved. However, he was not happy. His counterpart in business, Seymour, owned a coin that the whole world coveted. Marvin wanted that coin by all means. When he finally obtained the coin, was it worth it?

I am a fan of collections like these. I was genuinely impressed after reading this book. The author showed his creativity in coming up with these stories. They all showed a central dark theme but were told in various ways. A favorite of mine was the coin collector Marvin Thomas; he had it all, but he let something as meager as a meager coin fill him with hate and evil thoughts. Too bad when he finally got it, it became the end of him. There was also the story of Sam, who hated foreigners for no just reason, even to the extent of conjuring a monster in his head out of hate; that for sure was very surprising to witness.

Apart from the dark central theme, some of the stories had humor, suspense, and mystery surrounding them. The presentation was also lovely; the author put up a picture before each new story (step), which built anticipation and made me refer to the picture at the end of the story to see how it related. The dialogue in the story flowed well and followed the action. I do not doubt that the audience would have no issues reading this book.

The only thing I disliked about this story was that some of the stories lacked a bit of action and turned out a bit boring (in my opinion, though), but one thing worthy of commendation was that the themes were all the same. Apart from this, I enjoyed reading this book. I did not encounter any errors, which led me to conclude that this book was exceptionally well-edited.

Footsteps in the Dark - Stories of the bizarre and unusual by Carlo Armenise receives a rating of 5 out of 5 stars from me for its intriguing plot, unique stories, and easy understanding. I recommend this book to audiences interested in fiction, mystery, fantasy, and action thrillers.

Footsteps in the Dark - Stories of the bizarre and unusual
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Sophia Damilola Ajayi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophia-d-ajayi.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Sophia Damilola Ajayi »

Your review is lovely. The stories in the book are quite interesting. I love stories with bizarre topics
Chukwuemeka Ezema
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chukwuemeka-ezema.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Chukwuemeka Ezema »

I love the themes contained in this book, and for that, I think I'll give this book a try. The summaries you provided in your review were quite interesting. Great review.
Grace Lee Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-lee-rose.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Grace Lee Rose »

Footsteps in the Dark - Stories of the bizarre and unusual is a story that isn't in a genre I'll be fascinated to read about. The title sounds like all the stories would have a dark theme and sense of humor. And this was confirmed in your review. I'll simply skip this book. Nonetheless, you carried out a good analysis of the book.
Newestobc
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-newestobc.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Newestobc »

This your review is very captivating. I got many insight into the book from your review alone and I hope to read the book soon.
Jerry Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerry-anozie.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Jerry Anozie »

Wow, the first paragraph alone is convincing enough to get a copy of this book. Meanwhile, what prompts someone to take killing as a sport. I would love to know more about this killer. Your reviews are always exceptional.
Anthony Ekemezie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony-ekemezie.html
Latest Review: Crucible of the Damned by Jason Brookshier

Post by Anthony Ekemezie »

All the eight stories sounds interesting. The story of Mona Moore, a gorgeous actress whose quest for eternal beauty leads her down a treacherous path is the one I am more interested in. I would definitely be reading this book.
Opara Jerry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-opara-jerry.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Opara Jerry »

The stories in the book are extremely interesting, however based just on the title, I might not find the stories' love of gloom to be something I can appreciate. However, I won't know until I read the book for myself. Additionally, your review is well-written.
Mara Joe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mara-joe.html
Latest Review: Bonnie’s Adventures in a Storybook World by Kristie Schubert

Post by Mara Joe »

I have seen a collection of stories that I will be reading next. This book looks like one that will keep me invested in it till the end. I really enjoyed reading your review of the book! Your summary of the plot was concise and gave me a good idea of what to expect.
Kenneth Onyenwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenneth-onyenwe.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Kenneth Onyenwe »

Books like this with short stories are confusing to me. I am passing along "Footsteps in the Dark - Stories of the bizarre and unusual" by Carlo Armenise. Thanks for the review.
Victor Ayub Migos
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victor-ayub-migos.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Victor Ayub Migos »

Can't wait to read this book, it sounds interesting. I love dark-themed novels especially when they include paranormal events and occurrences. Amazing review!
Gabriele Mattia Leonardo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriele-mattia-leonardo.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Gabriele Mattia Leonardo »

Fictional stories like this are always a wonderful read. Nice review. Can't wait to read the book.
Charles Jeremiah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-jeremiah.html
Latest Review: Now I See by Sandra Leon Gonzalez

Post by Charles Jeremiah »

Footsteps in the Dark - what is to be expected? Books like this have me looking around the corner as the serial killer could be lurking around my mind. The lovely detail and perfect cover image is applauded. Jeremy would be taking reader's round many wrong turns and the suspense is to die for.
Azuka Jessica
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azuka-jessica.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Azuka Jessica »

The book has an intriguing cover page and title, but it seems interesting. I also love reading collection of short stories and I hope to enjoy this one. Thanks for an honest review.
Goody book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goody-book.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins

Post by Goody book »

The book title is weird I must say I hope the book title goes in line with the plot Of the book. Kudos to your review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”